2 1/8 Lapan's Foundry Cannon - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Default 2 1/8 Lapan's Foundry Cannon

Well, I am the new owner of a Lapan's Foundry 2 1/8 bore cannon. It has a 0.25 Seamless steel sleeve liner. Previous owner use to lob juice cans of concrete at random targets. Sounded like fun. Bore looks pretty good. Maker was Lapan's Foundry is in Glens Falls, NY. Cannon marks have an (LP) on one trunion and (no. 98) on the other. I left a msg with them regarding any history of the cannon. Wood is ok, no rot..but probably will update it. Wheels are alum. including the spokes etc. Weight, no idea, took me and another guy to lift into a pickup and a third to balance the tail. Prob under 200lbs or so all told. Previous owner used FFFg, and gave me some loads that were already bagged (and 3lbs in cans.) I well weigh them just for interest but probably go more coarse and use the triple F in a pistol or somethin. They look a lot heavier than the 1 0z or so that I planned to use. Pics included, I cleaned up the nose a bit to see the liner, will repaint along with rest of cannon. I am brand new to this "sport."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Default Re: 2 1/8 Lapan's Foundry Cannon

Nice gun. Good idea to go to a coarser powder. Does it have vent liner?

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA
post #3 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

not sure, guessing no...will clean up the paint in that area and check. Previous owner would just dump some FFFg on top and light...I will use cord and run like h#ll for the time being
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to dan610324 Send a message via MSN to dan610324 Send a message via Yahoo to dan610324

this is not a sport , its a lifestile ;D
when you are hooked you just cant quit :
or dont want to quit :
its a really nice cannon .

Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry
post #5 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:39 PM

Lapan is a good gun but I don't believe they bushed the touch hole this is something you will want to have done.
unfortunalty they stopped making cannon after someone who was injured sued everyone envolved including the
manufacture. I had the same tube mounted on a truck carriage wish I still had it.
Did you get any implements with it? rammer? sponge? worm?
[/color]

[b][color=navy]Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it! & Please pray for him... Psalm 109:8[b]

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium
post #6 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

well nice to hear someone has heard of the cannon. when you say 'brush' the touch hole..is that the same as a liner for the hole? this seems to be a straight drill job right on through.
post #7 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
when you say 'brush' the touch hole
I'm sure he means "bushed" as in "bushing" meaning a thick tube, usually threaded, forming the cannon's vent. That tube is a separate piece so it can connect firmly to the liner, go thru the cannon wall, and its top will sit there to be friction-primed, powder-primed, quickmatched, fused, whatever.
post #8 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonmn
Quote:
when you say 'brush' the touch hole
I'm sure he means "bushed" as in "bushing" meaning a thick tube, usually threaded, forming the cannon's vent. That tube is a separate piece so it can connect firmly to the liner, go thru the cannon wall, and its top will sit there to be friction-primed, powder-primed, quickmatched, fused, whatever.

Exactly
[/color]

[b][color=navy]Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it! & Please pray for him... Psalm 109:8[b]

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium
post #9 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:11 PM

The vent piece helps to hold the liner in place (more important if the liner is rifled), provides a smooth continous passageway (no ember holding gaps between liner and barrel), and can be replaced if it becomes worn (not likely on small guns).

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA
post #10 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

How about some pictures from ground level so we cans see what the gun looks like.

Looks like you have a nice restoraration project ahead of you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page