Fabrication du Mortier de Monstre de Paixhans avec des Photos - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Default Fabrication du Mortier de Monstre de Paixhans avec des Photos

Finally we have a few pics of some progress on this project, and if you are new to this subject, you can get caught up by looking at the link below which has a bunch of history and design stuff. Briefly, this thread will describe our efforts to construct a 2/5 scale Paixhans Monster Mortar used by the French and Belgians against the Dutch at the Battle of Antwerp in 1832. We will be bringing this beast to the Montana Model Cannon Shoot in August. Despite weighing over 1,000 Lbs. and accompanied by more than 1,500 Lbs. of ammunition, this large French mortar complies with all shoot rules, and is not a full size, but rather, a scale gun. The bed should be finally complete by next Wednesday and we will post construction photos at that time.

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...,162341.0.html

My son helps us out by hauling the heavy 20 foot beams to the cross cut saw and here he removes the water jug neck to open it for concrete filling. He is a great help and we appreciate it!

The 20 ton press helps us remove the 2.5 degree kink in these foundatioin anchors that we are using for an experimental sabotted round.

A circle cutting jig is made up for cutting the sabbots from Baltic Birch plywood. They are 10.660" Dia., same size as the Water Jug O.D. The functional bore is 11.000", so you can see we are allowing PLENTY of Windage!

Here I bend some rabbit fence into a concrete reinforcing configuration. My fingers were very black and sore after doing this for 10 rounds.

This shows the 5/16" low carbon rod that Mike and I bent into a 180 pound projectile lifting loop.

My version of a sabotted mortar round; Mike thinks the hole that the bolt goes through will let propellant gasses in between the concrete and the jug plastic with the result of a blown plastic skin. Has he never heard of Epoxy Glue?? We will see what happens in Montana.

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Fabrication du Mortier de Monstre de Paixhans avec des Photos

I would not want to be in the impact zone!

Recovery is going to be a pain............

;D I'm guessing your not taking the little car this time........

I hope someone videos this adventure.

Allen <><
[/color]

[b][color=navy]Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it! & Please pray for him... Psalm 109:8[b]

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium
post #3 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:56 AM

I put an air-operated hydraulic jack on the same kind of 20T press, makes it a lot more fun to use, and a whole lot faster too. The footprint of the base of the air jack is larger than that of the manual, so an added 1/2 in. steel plate under it gives the requried support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 AM

Cool technique.

I'm thiinking of using something similar (using concrete column form - cardboard tube) for an almost bowling ball mortar size 02 cylinder.

I LIKE the reinforcements.

Can we assume that the foundation anchors were cheaper than all-thread?

Have you done research into what mix of concrete is more resistant to impact? Type N? Type M? Type P? (mortar types)

Ahhh HAH! I knew the real world supported our profession! MORTAR MIX! ;D

Tim K www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)
post #5 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:28 AM

Can I suggest fiber reinforced concrete? It is stronger than regular concrete, but more importantly it does not shrink as much when it sets up, so there will be less separation between the concrete and the jug.

Also, epoxy probably will not stick well to the type of plastic that water jugs are made of. Urethane glue will stick better (aka- Gorilla glue). Of course it is messy as anything to work with. Only seconds ago I was scraping some off of my glasses with an exacto knife, residue from a project last night.

If you pour the concrete while the urethane glue is still a bit tacky, two things will happen. Thing #1 is that the glass fibers in the fiber reinforced concrete will imbed themselves in the urethane, making for a really good bond. Thing #2 is that the moisture in the concrete will then quickly cure the glue, as it cures by absorbing water.

Rick
post #6 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Use screw gun and drive numerous wood or sheet metal screws with large flat heads into empty plastic jug from the outside, ensuring they are flush with surface. This will bind the jug closely to the filler when it hardens.

Quote:
Fabrication du Mortier de Monstre de Paixhans avec des Photos
Check inside yer keyboard, I rekun there's a frog stuck in there somewheres.
post #7 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Today we mixed and shoveled concrete. We used up just over 1,300 Lbs., a little less than we figured, but Mike's front walk needs some repair, so..... My son helped us hump all those bags of 5,000 pound test mix to Mike's backyard, our large artillery building yard. And, Gary showed up just in time to grab a shovel when the rented cement mixer quit. It turned about two revolutions and then gave up amid some loud clicking noises. Sounded like broken gears. And after Mike and I spent some time building a really nice platform for it too!! Oh well, back to basics. 11 rounds were completed. 9 regular, 1 sabotted and 1 three-quarter size with a ballistic nose, we will call it a high velocity Navy projectile.

Speaking of which, John, thanks for your suggestion of an air operated hydraulic jack. We just might do that. All that cranking for just a little movement is a pain.

Allen, We hope to leave the Obama, Pelosi and Read car at home and drive the GMC Suburban on at least one last trip. We want to save it for travel in 2010 and beyond, after the current administration's gas taxes have been enacted. Yes, a video would be nice. Hope it happens.

Tim, I spotted those foundation anchors at Lowes and though they would be just the right size, 5/8-11 thread and cheaper than all-thread too at $2.29 each. Yes I did lots of research on concrete and went with the 5,000 pound test type for extra strength. The aggregate is just small enough to pass through the reinforcing mesh. With two months to cure, we don't anticipate any integrity failures. We will keep the top damp for about two weeks and under a tarp after that.

Rickk, We tried to find some fiber, Rick, but could not find any locally. We used your Gorilla Glue, however, and avoided getting it stuck to our glasses! WOW, it sure does react when the water surrounds it! Don't think there will be any gas pressure going into the jug from behind the sabot. Good suggestions, thanks.

The C.C.P.P.R.s (Concrete Core Prairie Penetrating Rounds) are complete and are helping to anchor Mike's backyard down in case a twister swoops in. We just saw a small one about 1/3 formed right overhead, but it dissipated after 10 minutes. Warnings on the TV every day now in the afternoon. Dorothy, where are you; is this Oklahoma? Pics below.

Regards, and thanks Gary, for all of your help! You have perfect timing. No wonder you are near impossible to beat when you have a rocklock in hand!

Mike and Tracy

The happy workers Gary and Mike and the Kid assemble munitions on the back 40 of the Broomfield Cannon Manufactory.

Gary and the Kid are justifiably proud after finishing the first of 11 "Tremor Inducing Rounds" for the Monster Mortar.

[img]

Tracy cleans and finishes the Ballistic Nose of each round and thoroughly cleans the concrete off of each lifting loop and cleans the Bourlette Bands as well. No "Hangin-up" half way down for these mortar rounds. Yes, that was loads of fun with the 81mm mortar rounds as I recall!

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling
post #8 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 PM

no it's not oklahoma ,......it isn't kansas either..... toto kived in kansas .....i'm pretty sure dorothy did too .

Curator of the Military Museum in Stockholm holding the origanal Morko with my reproduction!
post #9 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:12 AM

You should fill one with candy and shoot it with a drag chute attached for the kiddies. Much more fun than a pinata.

Better yet, stuff it with small primates. Then it would be "more fun than a (mortar) barrel of monkeys!"

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes
post #10 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor3
stuff it with small primates. Then it would be "more fun than a (mortar) barrel of monkeys!"
Now you don't want to do that you'll have some nude chick from PETA show up protesting

the launching of small primates...............unfortunately I have to pass the PETA HQ everyday on

the way to work (barf) we have our own acronym for them: People embarrassing Tidewater area.

Besides squirrels are more plentiful and would be great to launch! ;D
[/color]

[b][color=navy]Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it! & Please pray for him... Psalm 109:8[b]

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in