Shooting the 1 inch bore. Show us your gun and accessories - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Default Shooting the 1 inch bore. Show us your gun and accessories

The Gentlemen from Seacoast Artillery posted the Following in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacoastartillery
Based on our experience firing about 100, 15/16" dia. steel ball bearings, lots and lots of cast lead shot of .985" dia. and 20 cast zinc shot of .960" dia. we can safely tell you we WILL NOT be firing more steel ball bearings. They are far too dangerous because of energetic bounce-back. Lead shot is by far the easiest to produce in quantity and zinc would come in second for being accurate and less weight than lead, but slightly more hassle to cast.

We have 7, 1" bore dia. cannons now and it is a great size with shot or bolts in rifled cannon. Lots of fun can be had with this size cannon and without huge expenditure of powder.

Mike and Tracy
M&T

You have a very valid point about 1 inch bore. It makes for a very good bore size. If you build yourself a cannon with 1 inch bore you will have a very respectable size cannon. It will not be so large however, that it becomes a storage problem. Cannons with a 1 inch bore are also a good size for a one man crew.

You mention the conservative use of powder, that's a big plus for the bore.

So show us you 1 inch bore guns and the tools and equipment you use to shoot it!

I'll start it with a gun that is familiar to those of you who have been around this board for a while.

Back in the early 1980's I built a model of M-1841 42 PDR from the U.S.S. Cairo. The gun was built by up scaling the model plans sold by the late William F. Green. Green drew the plans by taking measurements from the actual gun. I built the gun with 4140 and it was my first personal turning project on my lathe. I was going to college at the time and was learning how to use a lathe and doing the cannon barrel at home on the weekends. The deep hole drilling was done on a school lathe as a deep hole drilling project. Prior to this build I had no idea how to operate a lathe or how a lathe operated.

Green called this an M-1841 on his plans even though those in the know tell me that it is an 1845. The NPS says the 3 42 PDR’s recovered from the Cairo were dated 1837 and two dated 1856.

The Port bow gun was the one on the carriage with elevator as found in the Green plans. According to NPS the port bow gun is an Iron Rifle. Marks: right trunnion: K & W/F.P.F. Right rim base: 312. Left trunnion: 1856. Base of breech: 8359. Muzzle face: No.28/B.H. Top, between trunnions: U.S. Pitted. History: salvaged with U.S.S. Cairo; was port bow gun.

So most likely this gun is model after an 1845 pattern.

I shoot this gun a lot in the early days, but for almost 20 years it was just a pretty face sitting in the corner. When I retired in 2008 one of the priority projects was to refurbish this gun and get back to shooting it. Arsenal rebuild M-1841 42 PDR model

In the early days of this gun I used hollow base slugs made with this mould.

Even though this is a smooth bore gun the slugs from this mould flew straight and nose on. I always had problems with the base plug sticking. When I tried shooting the slugs cast solid they would key hole. The solid slugs also were easily damaged and would get stuck in the bore.

I also have a round ball mould that I use to cast lead balls. This ball shoots quite well.

[img]

I have tried steel one inch balls to which I glued wooden sabots . I wasn't all that happy with the results. I am going to try loading with out the sabot attached with the remaining steel balls, but I am not optimistic.

I would like to try zinc, but need a mould.

I also made my own implements; tapered head rammer, worm from Dom Carpenter and a small paint roller swab.

I use cartridges in my one inch gun. This is about the smallest caliber that you can make foil cartridges in.

I have one other Inch gun. It is a Parrot gun ready to shoot but needs hardware on its carriage. I would like to find a 25 mm rifled barrel to line it and make it a Parrot Rifle.

So tell us about your one inch gun!!!

Last edited by double d; 04-16-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Shooting the 1 inch bore. Show us your gun and accessories

Double D., That's a really good idea. Those of us who do have some experience with this 1" bore size, and I'm considering the 1" size to loosely include the 1.000, 1.067", and 1.167" bore guns and rifles we have built and the 1.000" and the 1.025" bore guns we have bought. Basically they all require pretty much the same equipment for loading and cleaning. Just give me a day to round up all the loose loading and shooting implements and the cannons too, which are all over the place and then take a few pictures.

Oh, bye the way, why do you think we chose the 1.000" bore size as our 'Gold Standard' for easily transported and shot and cleaned cannon? Kind of a trick question I guess. None of those attributes are the reason! The reason we chose the 1.000" Bore is this: The projectiles that we will shoot most often (85% of the time), be they Round Shot or Rifled Bolt, must be capable of creating a visible disturbance at 1,000 yards on a dry, dirt, plain or hillside. This is the absolutely most important criteria for us. When you see that puff of dust float away from in front of or behind your 1,000 yard refrigerator box or 55 gallon barrel, you will know why we choose this size cannon!

It's simply the smallest size cannon that will make the impact VISIBLY known and also be easily transported, easily loaded, shot and cleaned and also cheap to buy projectile metal and powder for.

Until tomorrow,

Tracy & Mike

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 05:57 PM

I understand the 1000yd visibility of impact! I still remember the Honest John launched next to the reviewing stand AND SEEING the explosion 5 miles or so down range (Ft Sill).

Tim K www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
I understand the 1000yd visibility of impact! I still remember the Honest John launched next to the reviewing stand AND SEEING the explosion 5 miles or so down range (Ft Sill).
Tim you are incorrigible.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM

Default When stationed in Ft Sill

I had the pleasure of viewing from the stands the "atomic"cannon . Our barracks were just a stone throw from the Atomic guys . They had two HE projectiles on the front steps . One on each side of the front enterance door .
The gave a demo one day and the guys in my unit got to attend . Impressive set of prime mover trucks . They wheeled in before the review stands set up and fired a round down range . The recoil was impressive .
Wish I had taken more pictures when stationed there. They has all sorts of captured artillery on display . German , Jap , etc.
I was there in January through April in 1960.

Left Handed people are in their right mind .
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Did they have any one inch guns?
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:16 AM

An Honest John Rocket ? Thats one of my favs as far as older rockets and mislels ...Misoles ..... **** it

you know Misseles or some **** thing it was a big ol buldge headed thing . Anyway my all time fav. old missalidge wise is the Bomrac or close to it !

A winged antiaircraft thingage with boster rockets .

I have a 'would be' 1 incher in the works but even with a chamber I will back off to .75 ...... she should ring nicley

I must make a 1 incher since I ..."came into" ..... a bunch of 1.00 " steel balls ..... Humm Maybe my personal Tater 38 ..... I wouldnt giveanyone that caliber , but I would / will for myself . As I got all these balls ....... BUT not nearly as many balls as the TSA .... ;D

Thanks for the balls DD ! 8)

Gary

Curator of the Military Museum in Stockholm holding the origanal Morko with my reproduction!
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 06:21 PM

DD,
I've got the 1-inch bore SBR Dahlgren barrel and powder; now all I need is a carriage, implements, and balls! Come to think of it, I suppose I should use Fg in it, so I don't even really have the powder. :'(

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won. He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Shooting the 1 inch bore. In Montana.

http://gunneyg.info/images/movies/24PounderFiring.wmv

http://gunneyg.info/images/DiversityCannon.jpg

This is the 1" bore gun I currently have; it is a 1/5 scale 24 pounder of the English style as used on the Constitution. The upper link is a short firing video from last year's Montana Model Cannon Shoot. I really need to finish this and give it to my friend.

Last edited by GGaskill; 10-19-2019 at 04:10 AM.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 10:33 PM

Well I can't find any of our loading implements; maybe Mike has our shooting box in the trunk of his car which is in Calif. right now. I did find pics of 3 of our 1" guns and one of a very important implement in use.

Tracy

Our first four groove rifled cannon, the ugliest cannon ever made, and the first 'Safety Rammer' that we used for two years before making a more refined one out of oak dowel stock and a steel, double-ended socket piece bent in a U-shape which joins the two polished and tapered oak dowels. The pic here is the perfect one to show how, even before the bolt is loaded flush with the muzzle, both of your hands are behind the muzzle and outside the danger zone. Just make the 'handle' twice as long as the 'rammer'. Here we have 24" and 48 " for the handle. This crude looking cannon shoots 5 shot, 3" groups all day long at 100 yards with a 7 oz. steel bolt and 400 grains BP.

Here is our first prototype cannon tube with authentic, Parrott gain twist rifling. 2" to 3" groups are the norm with this tube, and the Safety Rammer is in use here as well. Bull crap on all that macho stuff. We would like to keep our fingers attached, thank you very much!

[img]

This is a 1/6 scale smoothbore 100 Pdr. Parrott that was the First Prototype tube and mock-up platform we built back in 2002. The tube is a heavily modified 1/3 scale 10 Pdr. Parrott tube sold to us by SBR. We bought three of these and used two of these fully lined 1" bore cannon tubes. We still have this one and have fired 15/16ths steel ball bearings from it. They give a 6 or 7 inch group at 50 yards with 5 shots. The bulbous rear hemisphere of the 100 Pdr. Parrott is missing here and the rimbases are WAY too big. A particle board base and thin piece of cardboard form the platform and pintle pedestal. At gun shows everyone stuck a finger in the bore and asked, "Where's the rifling?"

Yep, it's a smoothbore!

This is the type of muzzle our 100 Pounder has now. Although it's slightly larger than 1", what's .067" between friends? The 7 oz., steel bolt, with a historically accurate "chill nose" tip on it and a turned skirt, 3/16" deep and .020' thick flies accurately at 50 to 1,000 yards. At less than 50 yards some keyholing is evident on the target paper. Between 40 and 50 yards full stabilization occurs.

And here is the first prototype oak dowel Safety Rammer we used at the First Annual (Almost) New River Valley Cannon and Mortar Shoot in Floyd, Virginia in 2007. It has the U-shaped, mild steel, socket connector and an experimental, one handed, 29" long handle with a 5 degree divergence from the rammer. Our new one, which is currently our production model, has gone back to a long, two handed, handle at 42" long and a 2 degree divergence. This feels best to us for balance and will fly away without hindrance if a 'premature' should occur.

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page