K.I.S.S. bowling ball mortar-Seeppot - Page 63 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #621 of 633 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM

Gun Cabinet

You can also cut 1/8" pretty easily with a jigsaw and a metal blade. I've done it a lot.
Zulu

This is 48" diameter 1/8" plate. I cut all of it with a jigsaw.

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com

Last edited by zulu; 01-23-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #622 of 633 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:04 PM

DD, a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a 1/16" cutoff wheel will cut through 1/8" even 1/4" steel no problem and will produce nice straight cuts.
post #623 of 633 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:26 PM

This is 3/16" plate and cut really https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/attach...1548271397well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260334.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	851.2 KB
ID:	225706  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #624 of 633 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I went Scouting yesterday.

A while back I posted a "need a place to shoot" request on the Oklahoma Shooters Association board. https://www.okshooters.com/ . I got a response from Dennis, a farmer up in far northern Ponca City, Ok. Dennis said he has some farm land that might be usable for shooting bowling balls on, between crops. I drove up yesterday and met Dennis. After coffee, We drove out and looked at his property. Dennis is a super nice guy, he could be one of us real easy, all we have to do is find him a cannon or mortar. We are facilitators I am sure we can help him overcome his disability. He is Army Vet and indicated some experience with Mortar. I think he is about my age, not as old as Tracy, maybe as young Mike, but definitely not as young as Zulu.

Here is a Google earth view of the piece of ground Dennis offering.

The red line is the One mile line from the perspective firing point. The yellow line is distance from Firing point to middle road. Along that middle road is a power line.

Here is looking towards the south from the middle road towards the tree line that would be the firing point.

Here is looking north towards "mile impact zone" off to the left of that tall tree.

And, here is a video swinging through about 190 degrees. My apologies for not turning the camera sideways for video mode.

As you may recall the last verified distance I recorded in Montana was 656 yards with 8 oz of FA.

Dennis currently has a tentative open window -between crops in mid to late June. The hour and fifteen minute drive back to Edmond gave me plenty of time to think.

There is a mile here. A very tight mile. I am hesitant to shoot the mile on Dennis' Land. What I can do here is shoot and get a range table and work very close to that mile. I would just approach the mile mark very carefully and come just short. Maybe even sneak up and just get the mile. At least then I would have enough info to hit the mile at another location.

Here is the plan I came up with yesterday driving home.

Two days of shooting. First day reshoot the 8 oz shot to verify the distance and record any change. Elevation at Dennis's firing point is right around 1100 feet. The elevation at Southpaws farm is 3470 feet.

Once that first shot is registered, increase increments say 1/4 ounce at a time creeping out the impact zone up to the road. That would the end of day one. As you can see looking at Google Earth that would right at 800 yards.

These day one stats along with those already gathered from past shooting, would most relevant for future shooting. One of the most fun things about shooting bowling balls is watching the the ball fly. Shooting out to 800 yards is about the limit for that kind of shooting. Most future shooting would probably be much shorter.

Another reason for the shorter range limit, is wear and tear on the gun. Shooting these big shots is hard on the guns. Once I have achieve the verified mile, I don't intend to shoot these distances again.

Day two I would need spotters. I would need spotters on the middle road and in the north field to watch for impact. I would increase the 800 yard load by at least an ounce to be sure I lofted over the road and more importantly the power lines. Once that load was located in the north field, I would continue building the load table with the 1/4 ounce increases and get as close to the mile as possible.

There is my plan. Dennis has said I can drive my Mule out in his field to chase the balls, but no trucks. He doesn't want the fields tore up. I get that.

Thanks again Dennis for taking me out there and consenting to letting me shoot. I am sorry you don't have a cannon, but we can fix that.

Speaking of cannons. I would not shoot a cannon out there. That ground is so flat that if you fired a cannon the balls would probably end up in Bruce's backyard in Nebraska.

Last edited by double d; 01-31-2019 at 11:10 AM.
post #625 of 633 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Wow, I think I found simpler way to cut the bevels.

http://www.fototime.com/D10209AFBEA771C/large.jpg

Wish I had found this video earlier.

post #626 of 633 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The Dates for 2019 Victorian Rifleman gathering has been announced, October 10-12 in Easton, PA. I am going to attempt to break this mortar down and load it in the back of my pick-up to haul it to Easton. I mean after all it does replicate a Victorian era 8 inch Siege Mortar and one in particular used by Boer forces in the 2nd Anglo Boer War.

While the Victorian Rifleman is not necessarily a costume event, some do dress in period dress. While living in South Africa I did acquire a number of Victorian era rifles, unknowingly mostly the type used by the Boer Burghers. Because of that, last year when I first decided to do costume, I choose Boer Costuming.

If I can get it in my pick-up, then getting it to Easton is not a problem. There I will be able to recruit a gun crew to unload and reassemble the gun for firing.

Then this morning I stumbled upon another problem or rather a new challenge. I am restricted to 100 yards.

As I combed through the pages here and found the shortest recorded mortar shot-3 oz. Fa, 12.2 lbs ball, 241 yards. I know there was one shorter shot, but can not find it recorded.

Looks like this summer, I will need to take this gun out and develop a 100 yard load.

I have a couple small task to complete before I can do that. The rear abrasion plate needs fitted. The Lunette needs rebuilt. All easily achieved goals. If there is time I will also do the seal coat and paint.

Of course I will have to perfect the loading in the back of pick-up.

Project continues.
post #627 of 633 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:33 AM

Engine hoist. Slow but strong.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill
post #628 of 633 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post

Engine hoist. Slow but strong.
Exactly what I have in mind.
post #629 of 633 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I was looking on the internet to find the range tables for 8 inch Siege mortars. I found that an 8 inch Siege mortar tossed a 42 lb projectile about 1200 yards. I well exceed that distance with my 15 lb projectile.

With this information I decided to construct a blank round for celebratory fire-holiday noise making and salutes, and for firing my cremains off over where ever, a long time from now.

I have already fired 1 pound of powder in my mortar under 15 lb bowling ball and that ball went well onto 2 miles.

As I said in the 4th of July post ,I tested 1 lb of powder and 25 lbs of filler in the form of hog pellets for a blank load. This worked well. The only concern is there was a bit of residue of pulverized hog pellets in the left in the barrel after firing. You can see the whitish residue at the muzzle and just in front of the breech plug.

For future blank loads I will fire 25 pounds of flour.

For funeral loads I will fire 20 pound of flour with the cremains loaded on top of the flour. I need to test that yet by substituting 5 lbs of hog pellets for the cremains.

I also need to hurry and finish this gun.
post #630 of 633 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I don't know if anyone besides me really noticed this.

This appears to be erosion from the firing of the friction primer. This makes a real case for having a vent liner.

Lots of learning goes on when shooting these big guns and you can look inside.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page