Lady Jane builds a Dom Dictator! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Default Lady Jane builds a Dom Dictator!

My Lovely Lady Jane has ordered Dom's Dictator Kit to build and shoot. Dom Dictator Mortar[/color] Her carriage kit came last week.

Lady Jane is a retired Kindergarten teacher and is convinced that if she can teach 5 year old's how to write their names with fat pencils, she can build one of these cannons. She read the detailed instructions and asked me, "what is a drill bit?" I suggested we hop in the car and run to Lowe's and buy some tools-she has none. She got a little glassy eyed and said she had was busy right now doing her nails, maybe later. A bit later I suggested we go to Lowe's and go shopping and she was out the door before I could get my shoes on. I guess "buying tools" does not appeal to a lady as much as "going shopping!"

C-Clamps are not listed on the tool list but are called for in the directions. She knew what clamps were.

Lady Jane now knows what drill bits are.

As well as a square, scribe, wrenches

She already knew what a Phillips screw driver was.

We still need to get a few more things, like a 1/4-20 tap and tap drill as well as a center punch, prick punch and 4 oz. ball peen hammer.

I wonder if she might want to go "shopping" at ACE True Value hardware tomorrow.

Last edited by double d; 10-19-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Lady Jane builds a Dom Dictator!

Be careful taking her to an Ace Hardware. They have a bunch of stuff other than just tools and hardware.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 AM

Good to see you received the mortar ok. The assembly instructions are an incomplete work in progress and I sure will probably be revised several times. It is a general guide at this point and any input on revising would be greatly appreciated, good or bad. I found that the sequence of assembly is important to follow to avoid difficulty in drilling and aligning the pieces.

The most difficult part of assembly for the home builder is drilling and tapping the trunnion caps. For this reason I have an optional cap arrangement that bolts through the side of the main plate. photo attached.

When I built the Dictator's a few years back I drilled the holes for tapping the caps on the drill press. I assembled the bed first. This got the side plates vertical from the front view. I then raised the bed in the front and tack welded a 2" box tube underneath from side to side so that the front cap hole(s) location I was drilling and tapping was perpendicular to the drill bit and tap. Relocate the box tube and repeat for the rear cap holes. This is just one method that can be used and may help some. This will work for someone with a drill press and welder.

I also hand drilled a few. When using this method, alignment is important for both drill and tap.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/c...014600x450.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 11:10 AM

Over her teen years, I equipped my step-daughter with a useful set of basic tools... she jealously guarded them through college where she was the go-to gal for things needing assembly. Now married with children of her own... she's still Ms fix-it.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Dom,

I will keep a running commentary on this build so you can pick up on any problems if the there are any---don't see anything obvious beyond her learning the terminology.

You Instructions look good.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 PM

What a great idea for a thread! Thanks to Dom for making a Kit Cannon and thanks to you both for deciding to do this. Mike and will follow this thread with great interest as our Dom Dictator Mortar Bed cheek plates and two complete sets of Mortar Bed hardware arrived today in perfect condition while I was having lunch. I felt sorry for the lady letter carrier as she struggled up the sidewalk with that heavy box, but I wasn't about to get snow on my slippers!

Tracy

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

More shopping today.

Punches, hammer. tapping equipment and of course a tool bag.

post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 PM

One of the biggest of my stupid mistakes that I have ever made was selling my Dom Dictator soda can size mortar. Needed something else at the time so sold the Dictator for exactly what I had in it. This was one that Dom had fabricated a few years ago. :'(

Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Lady Jane's craft table laid out for carriage building.

I did a dry fit to see how things go together. This way she can see what she is trying achieve and I can see if there is any issues---so far none.

We are going to go shopping again and get an 8 inch clamp to help hold the side for drilling the steps.

post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Well it's looking good so far...... So DD have you taken your lady shooting yet?

[b][color=navy]Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it! & Please pray for him... Psalm 109:8[b]

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page