Building the Swivel Plate and Mortar Bed Cheeks - Exp. German Spigot Mortar - Page 16 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

GGaskill, We are not particularly looking for a way to reduce the weight of this mortar, because we have determined by actual testing that this particular type of mortar needs all the weight it can get so it has a chance to remain in position during projectile firing. If it were a conventional type, we would seize your suggestion and run with it.

Mike and I have had several discussions of late on the topic of whether the production of this Spigot Mortar should proceed to the Production Phase at all. We discovered by actual testing that this Spigot Type Mortar has one VERY NASTY firing Characteristic, that of automatically directing it's Muzzle Blast to the rear, both directly and to the Right Rear and to the Left Rear, where people normally stand to watch mortars shoot and try to follow their projectile's trajectory to impact. We will do more testing and consider ways to let an owner know about the hazards associated with firing this type mortar. The problem is, of course, the manufacturer's liability for an owner's injury while operating this type carelessly. We are pretty much convinced that there is NO WAY to adequately prevent owner mistakes and resulting injury, despite the very best SAFETY Instructions. This realization must cause us to reach responsible conclusions, especially with a lawyer behind every bush which is an undisputed FACT these days.

We are, right now, 90% sure that none of this type, without exception, will ever be sold by Seacoast Artillery OR ANY authorized agent. If YOU have a bullet proof way for us to sell these without subjecting our company to exceptional liability issues, please let us know soon, right here, via a GBO thread reply. No other method of communication will suffice. Thank you.

In case you folks haven't noticed yet, lots of Gary's (RocklockI's) comments are unusual, to say the least. At the same time, many of his suggestions have been acted upon by Mike and I at Seacoast with stellar results. This most recent comment may be the most obtuse yet. I sincerely hope we are understanding him correctly, because I do not believe anybody else who wanders through these forums has the insight to come up with anything close to what he wrote earlier today, I believe. I better quote it, so I am not accused of making this up!

Per RocklockI in his latest post to this Spigot Mortar thread:

"How about some lighting holes, ? Gary"

We have searched the old brain cells thoroughly and think that we know what he means by this question/suggestion. See if you agree or disagree with us.

1. Drill holes into the framework of the Spigot Mortar for some of these High Power, long lasting LED lights and attach to a shielded wire harness attached to a battery power source. The purpose, we believe would be to see where the mortar was and know in which direction to walk, during night firing, after lighting the fuse, so you could avoid stopping within the "BLAST ZONE" !!

2. Perhaps he meant for us to drill more holes in the already, perfectly perforated projectile for placement, of these chemical, "Lite Sticks" so all present could see where the ball went during Night Firing??

3. Some other PURPOSE?? Help us out, fellas, PLEASE.

Thanks to GGaskill and RocklockI for your suggestions!!

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 11:49 PM

Yea , yea , yea ...... have your sport .

I'm going to with #3 Some other purpose ??

I've thought of another purpose ........ for the spigot anyway .
Wait .... I think know what the mortar really is now ! Hold Everything !

Could it be a Smart alec cannon makers chair ?
Gary

Curator of the Military Museum in Stockholm holding the origanal Morko with my reproduction!
post #153 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, Gary. I must remember that the higher a "smart alec" flies, the harder he falls.

However, back on task, we were not kidding about the non-production of the experimental German Spigot Mortar. So, if anyone has ANY KIND of experiment they would like to see performed on the second prototype, please let us know right here. No emails please. Perhaps a NIGHT FIRING??? With that experiment, everybody would be able to see where the flames and sparks go. BACKWARDS!!! Don't be shy; let us know what you want to see in approx. two weeks. Thank you.

Mike and Tracy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:32 AM

Yeah, nightfire.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill
post #155 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocklockI View Post
How about some lighting holes ?
Gary
Given the location and design, I think you might have to make a liner for this hole....
post #156 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 AM

M&T,
My thought if you want to put a Spigot mortar into production would be to drastically reduce the size of it. A 4" hollow metal sphere attached to a tube that would hold maybe 150 grains of powder with a 3/4" Spigot rod. Or maybe even a smaller size mortar than that? A mini Spigot mortar. I'm just thinking out loud here. Dom
post #157 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

GGaskill, We agree, this would be a very interesting experiment, however it will require making at least two more projectiles as they will be impossible to find after dark. We will most likely camp out on the prairie that night and look for them in the morning. This could indeed produce some interesting video clips.

Double D., I'm confused,"liners"?

Dom, Mike and I are finished with Spigot Mortars after we finish the two we have started. Even though a smaller version such as you suggested would throw much less debris back at the careless or ignorant shooter, there still would be the potential for eye injury which we cannot risk. Eisenhammer knows a lot about cannons and his firing of the one which we will GIVE to him does not cause us any concern. He will sign a statement assuming all responsibility for his and any onlookers safety before we will ship the piece he won in the cannon knowledge contest three plus years ago. The other one will be shot occasionally be us SAFELY, because we super methodical, slow and safety conscious artillery shooters. We WILL NOT be selling any of these to anyone. This spigot mortar type is simply too dangerous for us to include in our product inventory.

We are presently switching gears, once again in order to finish up the first production, 1:17 Scale Armstrong 100 Ton Gun tube soon so we can hand deliver it to Dominick in Pennsylvania so he can build the Chassis and Carriage for this unusual piece and then ship it to the customer. Then we will make a swing north to the snowy Catskill Mountains of New York State to finally meet Richard, (LionsPaw) and pick up his magnificent Cannon Sculptures, Gus and the Lions Paw which we agreed to purchase, treasure, preserve, care for and display at only the finest Collector and Historical Shows that this country has to offer.

To say that we are excited about this trip is the understatement of the century, after all, meeting Richard and getting a peek at what Dom is up to makes this trip doubly worthwhile!

Mike & Tracy

post #158 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:06 AM

I would love to see it impact something, other than sod. Maybe like an old storage shed or something that might easily collapse upon the impact of the mighty bowling ball projectile. That would be fun, however, I do realize the difficulty this would present. I will just have to enjoy it in my dreams!

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs
post #159 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacoastartillery View Post

Per RocklockI in his latest post to this Spigot Mortar thread:

"How about some lighting holes, ? Gary"

We have searched the old brain cells thoroughly and think that we know what he means by this question/suggestion. See if you agree or disagree with us.

1. Drill holes into the framework of the Spigot Mortar for some of these High Power, long lasting LED lights and attach to a shielded wire harness attached to a battery power source. The purpose, we believe would be to see where the mortar was and know in which direction to walk, during night firing, after lighting the fuse, so you could avoid stopping within the "BLAST ZONE" !!

2. Perhaps he meant for us to drill more holes in the already, perfectly perforated projectile for placement, of these chemical, "Lite Sticks" so all present could see where the ball went during Night Firing??

3. Some other PURPOSE?? Help us out, fellas, PLEASE.

Thanks to GGaskill and RocklockI for your suggestions!!

I was following up on your line of thought.

You were good naturally indicating that you thought Gary might be expressing a need for illumination. I myself was unsure when he wrote that also.

I was thinking he was saying lighting holes when he might actually meant a fuse or vent whole, which might have required a vent "liner" ?

I was pretty sure he didn't mean lite, who needs a low sugar spigot mortar. He could have and more than likely meant lighten by adding holes.

I guess again my weak attempt at punny humor didn't strike lightning.
post #160 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:56 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I was following up on your line of thought.

You were good naturally indicating that you thought Gary might be expressing a need for illumination. I myself was unsure when he wrote that also.

I was thinking he was saying lighting holes when he might actually meant a fuse or vent whole, which might have required a vent "liner" ?

I was pretty sure he didn't mean lite, who needs a low sugar spigot mortar. He could have and more than likely meant lighten by adding holes.

I guess again my weak attempt at punny humor didn't strike lightning.

What is "punny humor" ?
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page