Building the Big, Bad 12 Inch Seacoast Defence Mortar M1890 A-1r - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Default Orders are acknowledged and Thank You(s) given.

Kevin Rohrer, You have a good eye, Kevin and you are correct, it sure looks like one!

JFKaboom-69, No. 11 is yours and has been officially registered. Thank you for your order.

Double D. Thanks for updating this thread. Sorry to tell you this, but I told everyone they could have any SN they wanted except those taken already, so Kevin Rohrer
indicated that he wanted SN 7, but I told him that one was promised to a friend, so he said SN 115 was his second choice and I said , fine 115 is registered to you. you are welcome to have SN 24 as usual or to pick a completely different one if you prefer. SN 24 is registered to your name until you tell me otherwise. Thank you for your order.

Hunting Moose, eh? Bullwinkle's not going to like that! I have several interesting Moose hunting stories to tell, but even more interesting, is the one about a Canadian with whom I worked years ago in the People's Republic of Boulder, Colorado. Stewart was a smart young man who was studying at the university in boulder, majoring in history and government as I recall. He was as liberal as they come, but was not the "In your Face", type of liberal so we had some pleasant conversations. He was good with math too, so I did not have to check his work as an inspector, I knew he already double checked it, himself. One day things were a bit slow and National Hunting and Fishing Day was rapidly approaching. Although he was no hunter, he was a good cartoonist, so he drew his version of Opening Day for us in the QC Lab. There was a large pit in the center with three hunters at its bottom with rifles at the ready. All around the rim of this crater were about 40 rabbits all armed with double barrel shotguns, all aiming down at the hunters. The title was: "My Vision of Opening Day of Rabbit Season!"

Well, this could not go unchallenged of course, so we called upon our best artist/inspector in the lab, Jeff to draw what I imagined would be a good challenge cartoon. I drew the simple stuff like a shack with a sign on it which read: 'Stewart's Baby Harp Seal Sales'. Jeff drew about 25 dead harp seal bodies piled up in front of the shack, all with little Xs where their eyes should have been. Needless to say there were no more hunter bashing cartoons coming from the Canadian! A successful comeback, eh?

Holdoff with the Beaver Bucks, DD. Wait till you return to the land of the inflated dollar; BYW it's $349 plus shipping, don't you know. eh?

Spuddy! Nice to see you are checking us out occasionally. There will be no azimuth scale or swivel plate at this price point, Tim. We already have promised too much, Mike fears. Trying to allay his concerns, I said, "I'll just work faster". Then he says, "what, are you going to rev up to tortoise speed?" "Hey, hey" says I, "Maybe".

SN 1 is officially registered to you. Thank you for your order. Thumbs up on 12" Disappearing Rifle duly noted.

VA Rifleman, Don't hold us to a particular bore size already. I can tell you this, it will be bigger than our normal 1.000" or 1.067" Dia.. But it may be 37mm which is a little smaller than 1.500", being right at 1.457" Dia. Don't forget, if this one is attempted, it will be a 1 to 1.5 year build adventure. There are so man details on these that I boggles the mind. Lots of casting too, which must be made as castings or they won't look right or if completely CNC machined, would blow the budget out of the water for sure!! No firecrackers? We are wusses in Colorado too and in Broomfield where both Mike and I live they don't even allow sparklers!!! Most people ignor these ordinances though; there are plenty of noisemakers on the 4th of July, but not at the cannon makers homes or shop location. Those areas must be the quietest in the County!

Ex 49er, What, a crackerless 4th for you too?? Hey, Hey! Two thumbs up for a future Disappearing Rifle!! Yahoo!

That's it for now, guys.

Tracy and Mike

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuddy View Post
For the record I would buy a 12 inch disappearing rifle.
I would be on that list!

Analog man trapped in a digital world
post #33 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beazld View Post

I would be on that list!
If it shot bullets! Yeah baby!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
The gear you are looking for looks amazingly like a handcuff ratchet.
Or a 350 V8 timing gear?
post #35 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Default More Pics and volumes of technical info about these mortars

First the list so SNs can be known.

Ex 49er......................6
Gls............................14
Va Rifleman.............10
Beazld.......................8
Kevin Rohrer............115
Gregowen..................Need a SN from you, Gregowen
JFKaboom-69...........11
Double D..................24
Spuddy.......................1
Promised....................7

We plan on making 15 to 25 of these with 5 reserved for Colorado Gunshow Sales, so there is still room on the list. Remember what happened the to the first of these Firecracker Cannons and the owners of the Krupp Howitzer M1866? Two were sold subsequently on Ebay as signal guns and the $250 purchase price ballooned to $625 and $667. Pretty good investment I would say!!

The photos are next.

Tracy

Some interesting Muzzle Face Markings.

12 Inch M1890 A-1 Mortar in Battery Clark in Fort Stevens courtesy of the Coast Defense Group
Look at those impressive Elevation adjustment Hand Wheels; you will get both of them on your mortar.
That Long Range Mortar Tube was capable of shooting 700 Lb. HE Shells 8.3 Miles with a Zone 9 powder charge.

The heaviest projectile normally used, the 1,046 Lb. Deep Penetrator for Battleship Deck piercing. It could pierce 6 Inches of Battleship Deck Armor Plate at 6 Miles! This Deep Penetrating Shell was over 4 Feet Long!!

12 Inch steel Mortar M1890 A-1.......technical data.

Technical Data continued:

There are still slots available on the list, will you join us by reserving your very own, 12 Inch Coast Defense Steel Mortar M1890 A-1 before it's too late. There will not be a second batch of these robust mortars made. These things are heavy, up to 25 Lbs. each with the supporting, Traversing Plate. This is your only chance to buy a genuine Seacoast Artillery product until 2019 if we are still making cannons at that late date????

To those already on this important list, Thanks for your business!

Mike & Tracy

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 09-28-2017 at 10:15 AM.
post #36 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 11:53 AM

Mike and Tracy

Please add me to the list!!! Can I have a low serial #, I think 2 is available

Thank you
Tino Giusto

Tino
post #37 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Default Thank you Tino!

Onit12345, You are correct, SN 2 is available. Tino, SN 2 is officially registered in your name. Thank you for your order.

I believe we know what gave you the little nudge that you needed to change you from a "wantahave" to a gottahave! For once (and I want new management credit for saying this), I have to agree with the practice of interjecting ads in between photos or in between blocks of text in any given thread. The new GBO management made the Mortar that we are selling look even bigger than it really is by parking a Jaguar car next to it in the mortar pit. Think I am kidding? Check out the photo below.

Tino, upon seeing this image online, said to himself, "Wow that seacoast mortar is Gargantuan; boy oh boy, any day I can buy a Saturn 5 sized Coast Defense Mortar, even at 1:20 scale, for only $349, it's gonna be a HUGE VALUE for me!! " We think your logic here is spot on, Tino, it looks pretty darn BIG to us as well! THANK YOU.

The best management modified, photo ever!!!

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 09-28-2017 at 01:47 PM.
post #38 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 02:46 PM

lol that's what did it for me. I saw that photo and know I had to have one 👍

Tino

Tino
post #39 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 02:55 PM

Please put me down for serial #9 if that remains available, as far as I can see so far it should be - Thanks! - Gregowen
post #40 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 09:29 PM

Default A few Images

I stumbled across a few images that I thought you may be interested in regarding the m1890 - especially the image that shows some detail on the breech itself. I wish the images were a little better but either way I thought they'd be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8382351608_eb3527afbc_b.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	181113  

Click image for larger version

Name:	8382352846_2483bbab49_b.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	181121  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page