Graybeard Outdoors banner

Brooks-USA SAMCC

16K views 113 replies 17 participants last post by  GGaskill 
#1 ·
Very fortunate to receive a Brooks SAMCC tube for my birthday. These are beautiful and will make an awesome gun. It is sitting on an old carriage for the pictures. Thanks to my wife and Michael!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
28 of those barrel made now. That is great. I always wondered if Michael would make any more after mine.

That is a nice carriage match. You would do well to copy it. Dig back to some where around winter 2008-2009 or 2009-2010 and find my build post and the plans for the Original SAMCC carriage will be found there.

#3 ·
I referred extensively to your build thread and the Building 18th Century Naval Artillery book when completing the Big 32 Pounder project. Could not have done it without the detailed pictures you provided Double D!

#4 ·
Happy Birthday, Tom

Your photo's are Great and your kind words are appreciated. Since coming to GBO, you have learned to create several notable projects. I recall that one of your early projects was with your Father-in Law. Your Wife is great to work with. You are a fortunate man!

28 of those barrel made now. That is great. I always wondered if Michael would make any more after mine.

Douglas,

I had to make a handful of the 50 cal SAMCC before I was comfortable with the complexity of them. I am wondering about a 69 cal. Maybe for Lady Jane?

NOTE: I have 3 of these in stock. My web page now has notation, IN STOCK, READY TO SHIP for those complete, ready for final polishing and shipping. If you see a barrel not in stock or a special order, let us know of your interest and we will schedule production.

Michael

http://brooks-USA.com

#5 ·
Oh no Michael, I am not buying Jane another cannon. Besides she reminds me occasionally that we have to return to your shop shop so you can teach her to make her own Cannon. We may be headed that way in the next year as we should be headed to up to pick-up my rifled Parrot barrel from Ed.

Before that is a trip to Houston to pick up her Pack Parrot. Maybe January for that trip.

#11 · (Edited)
Bruce and Toes, here is a way to handle this.

Print out a Picture of the barrel from Mike's webpage.

Go to the store and get a bouquet of flowers. Come home with flowers in one hand and the picture in the other. Clearly where she can see, lay the picture down like on the kitchen table and leave it there, then walk over and give her the flowers. Tell her you just wanted to get them for her because she is so special. Even women who say they don't like to be given flowers, like to be given flowers. You will get a smile-at least. Don't say anything about the picture of the cannon then. Later in hour or two, show her the picture of the cool cannon, tell her how neat it is and casually mention how someday you would like to get one.

You might not get your cannon, the first time, but do this a couple of three times and your chances go up.

This from a guy who has 47 total years marriage experience.

#16 ·
Very nice setup ! I like the carriage it is on .If it were mine I would slightly refurb it .

You don't want the carriage to out shine the tube imho .

Gary

#28 ·
Looks good so far as I can tell.

I do have a question about the way you chose to do the Cheeks. Keep in mind I am no Expert. But I usually laminate my cheeks vertical with two pieces glued together. Rather than stacked Horizontal like you did. Maybe the way you did it is more Historically correct as far as I know.

Not criticizing, heck may be doing it wrong,LOL. Just seems to be a stronger method going vertical to me.

Gonna look great though with that Beautiful Barrel..

#29 ·
Looks good so far as I can tell.

I do have a question about the way you chose to do the Cheeks. Keep in mind I am no Expert. But I usually laminate my cheeks vertical with two pieces glued together. Rather than stacked Horizontal like you did. Maybe the way you did it is more Historically correct as far as I know.

Not criticizing, heck may be doing it wrong,LOL. Just seems to be a stronger method going vertical to me.

Gonna look great though with that Beautiful Barrel..

Sorry Bruce,
Horizontal is the correct way.
Zulu

#30 ·
Yep, that is what I thought as I said. I did mine wrong.LOL So did they also stack them on like Prairie type carriages and such.? Or just Naval and Garrison types I assume?

My Hughes carriage I went vertical, as that is the way it looks in the Photos of the original I copied anyway.

Just seems it would be stronger the other way though.

I still dream of getting one of those Brooks barrels. Man they sure are pretty.

#32 ·
Cap square bolts

Started work on these out of 1/8 rod which seems about the right size for this carriage.

The hinged side went well. Made a jig, heated the bar red hot, bent it, then threaded the other side. Pictures below.

Attachments

#33 ·
Key Bolt

These did not pan out as hoped.

Heated more 1/8 inch rod and flattened. Drilled a hole to start the filing to make a slot for the key.

It was at this point I realized the piece was really not going to be very strong. It might work for a non firing model. But once you drill a hole in the flattened out portion and shape it, there is not a lot of material left.

Going to return to the drawing board. Maybe 1/4 inch bar, but then the hole drilled through the skirt is so large I worry about weakening this part of the carriage.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.