Building the 1:8 Scale RML 10 Inch 18 Ton Woolwich Gun - Page 47 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #461 of 666 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Lots of way the muzzle loader guys work to achieve roundness. My only concern for roundness is to make sure the ball will pass gauging.

Having been there, nothing worse than to stick a ball in a bore. I don't want to even imagine sticking a steel ball. Zinc or lead are going to be tough enough.

Cleaning will have to be meticulous.

As to bolt or bolt like projectiles.

Been there also. Never saw any evidence of tumbling out to 50 yards.

Here is my issue with those bolt like projectiles, they are heavy and recoil is fierce.

200 grs of FFG.

9 oz (3900gr.) 1" slug.

1" 1500 gr. roundball

Thanks, I will stick to roundball, zinc first, lead second. i have plenty.

Now if I were to find someone who would bore my barrel and fit my 1" rifled liner, I would definitely be interested in bolts.

Last edited by double d; 10-03-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #462 of 666 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Fredstaple Quote: "When you roll the lead balls to finish, how many do you do at once or is it only one? About how long does it take for a soft lead ball to get to a smooth finished state?"

Tom, we only tried 3 or 4 balls with heavy parting lines indicating they were cast off-center. The steel plate rolling method worked fine on them, then I tried a small cube of soft lead that someone else at the gunsmithing school made. After a very up and down start, the action of the swirling top plate settled down in 30 seconds or so and 15 seconds later a truly round ball resulted. Even doing it myself, I found it hard to believe, but that is exactly what happened. We measured it all over with a micrometer and could not find any ovality at all, no out-of-round condition existed.

We only tried one at a time, so I cannot say with certainty that more than one would work, but it is logical that it would actually work and probably make the job easier, because multiple balls with visible parting lines and slight sprue removal nubs would help support the heavy top plate and keep it level upon start-up. They probably should not touch each other, so a limited number would most likely work better.

VA Rifleman Quote: "Thanks for the finishing idea. Nuggets of wisdom such as that is one reason I really like this place.
The thumbstall thought was a suggestion for the intrepid gunner, not an item for Sea Coast Artillery to supply.
Apologies, as I should have been more clear.

I'm glad that I remembered that actual experiment in roundness. BTW, I did not take the thumbstall suggestion that way at all; I thought it was a safety suggestion for us which is much appreciated. We would never consider selling such an item, because that type of sale sets you up for instant liability if that type of product was in use during an accident sequence, even though incorrect use could definitely be a possibility.

Double D., Nice videos with a good comparative lesson. In cannons weighing similar poundages, I would definitely use solid shot, NOT cylindrical bolts! Even in our initail product in our seacoast line, the 1/6 scale 100 pounder Parrott, we found a 45 pound Tube not sufficient to tame recoil. Our most accurate load was 400 grs. BP with velocity at 1,250 fps just like the original gun, but the recoil was NOT slow like the original at all. It was vicious and tilted our heavy 85 pound bench back at a 30 degree angle. It was scary!! The bolt was a 7 oz. less than your yours.

It would certainly be an interesting project to place a rifled sleave in your tube, but we don't do any cannon gunsmithing such as your project would be. The cost would really pile up quickly with a very large, special, one-time-use, deep hole drill to be purchased for the oversized hole to accept the liner and the epoxy. Then you have the method of insertion and epoxy overflow to figure out. Is the tube rotated as you push the sleave in, probably, but we have never done that so it's best to have the whole thing done by someone who does this on a regular basis. What you really need to do is have two tubes for your 1/8 scale, 10" 18 Ton Mk II RML Woolwich Gun, one smooth for competition and one rifled for a high order of FUN! The 94 pound tube would Tame all but the most powerful powder with heavy bolt combinations.

Just think of all the firing range experiments you could do with such a cannon! What's another $3,000 in the over-all scheme of things, anyway? By comparison, if we ever decide to make 3 or 4 of these smoothbore, 10" 18 ton Guns for internet sale with everything, the price will be $4,994, Just add $1,500 for a rifled version, $ 6,494.00. You already said, "I guess one cruise next year will have to be enough." I will try to get some pics posted this evening to show you what a Firing Chassis Fixture looks like with some dimensions as well.

That's it, for now,

Tracy and Mike

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 10-03-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Context and spelling.
post #463 of 666 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Tracy,

I think if I were to line this barrel, I would touch base with South Bend Replica's and see if they would do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #464 of 666 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 09:53 AM

IMO. These 1/8 scale, 10 Inch 18 ton Woolwich guns are "investment grade". At a tremendous discount I would add.
It truly doesn't feel right in that I know I am not paying what it took Sea Coast Artillery to design, machine and assemble these beauties.

If a rifled version of this set was offered for an additional $1500, (would that even cover the true rifling cost?). I would be amongst the 1st in line. DD and maybe Little Seacoast would probably beat me.

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
post #465 of 666 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Double D., That is exactly what you should do. I own 4 South Bend Tubes and all are first rate! Their products are pricey, but they take the time to do things properly, so you pay a little more. They insert steel sleaves in their little 1/3 scale cast iron Parrott tubes just the way it's shown in the movie clip you posted.

VA Rifleman, Thanks for your kind comments and I hope all of our customers know that you are correct; I was not kidding when I said that if we were to build another one of these after the nine are complete that they would be fairly priced at $4,994 for the smoothbore configuration and $1,500 more for the rifled one. That is exactly what Mike quoted to a fellow who called yesterday from Virginia. Then he asked, "How much for just the Tube?" Mike told him, $1,500 for the material, hoops, shaping and sights and $1,500 more for a rifled version. It would be authentic rifling of course, 7 groove, gain-twist, from 400" to 40" per revolution, from breech to muzzle.

However, we will not even think about actually making any until we have delivered the current 9 that are on order about one year from now.

Tracy

P.S.

Mike is currently machining the ends and drilling two half inch dia. holes thru 19 of the 18 pound blocks of 1018 steel which will become wheel shrouds by my son and I during the time Mike is in Calif. visiting his mom for about 10 days starting this Sat. J. will do the de-greasing, Dykem blueing, stamp marking and scribing the faceted exterior shape on each of 19 blued blocks from a master that Mike made a few days ago and also the bandsawing of waste material from each wheel shroud block. I will do all the machining to the scribed lines to produce the multi-faceted, shape which can be seen in the two pics below. The color they will be painted is the same one used by Dom on his latest breechloading deck gun, Professional Grade Dark Hunter Green, #7743 by Rustoleum. This will be a slight contrast between all the gloss black of the Tube, Carriage and Chassis and will be located between the Black of the Chassis and the Dark gray and Light gray of the Pedestal. It will match the colors of the Winter-Time Landscape of Nova Scotia with snow and dark green Conifers.

This is a half sawed, left side and half machined, right side of the winter-time wheel and gear cover called the Wheel Shroud.

This is the same partially machined Wheel Shroud showing the completely milled right, or Exterior Side. These arrive in protective packaging and are bolted between the Pedestal top and Chassis bottom by the customer with the assistance of the makers who personally deliver the Gun, Carriage, Chassis and Wheel Shrouds.

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 10-04-2018 at 11:52 PM.
post #466 of 666 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

This project is turning into one of the most expensive cannons I ever got.

I told Jane, that in order to save money we would drive down to Houston and pick the base up and then visit the lumber yard to see if I can get some wood for the Lapan Gun. She has been grumbling.

Just a few minutes ago, Jane told me, if I thought we were going to drive down and spend a day, then drive back, I am wrong. She said while we are down there we will go on to Galveston and go on a cruise, to make the trip worthwhile. Ouch. I like cruising.

Last edited by double d; 10-05-2018 at 10:15 AM.
post #467 of 666 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 01:17 AM

Sounds like that will save a lot of money. Have it shipped.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill
post #468 of 666 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
Sounds like that will save a lot of money. Have it shipped.
Ah but George, at this point she would not be happy with that at all. Now that she has an excuse to go to Galveston and go on a cruise we have to go down. She know that is my week point, I like to cruise.

Having it shipped would also mean I miss going to the wood store, oh wow ! It is my equivalent of Jane going to Walmart. Walk up and down all the aisle for an hour aimlessly looking at all the different kinds of woods. then only buy the two things that I found in the first five minutes in the store. I often make excuses, partially true to avoid going "shopping" with my wife.

I do need the wood for the Lapan Gun, so should go.
post #469 of 666 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 02:06 PM

Zulu did a fantastic job on this piece! The concrete is amazingly realistic. The marriage between this piece and the cannon will be spectacular. Now to wait patiently.
Attached Images

Last edited by double d; 10-06-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: picture orientation
post #470 of 666 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

OK, Spuddy, Now that your York Redoubt 10 In. Gun Position No. 2 by Zulu has arrived in excellent condition, will you be using it to mount and fire your cannon when it arrives from the Cannon Making Duo? If not, for what purpose will it be put to use? Anyone else can answer this question also, of course.

Tracy & Mike

PS Yes, we will be firing our prototype No. 2 from the pristene mount provided by Zulu, probably only at the Second Victorian Cannon Shoot near Lexington, KY in October of next year. Any soot or black powder goo will be wiped gently off the Gun Position with a little soap and water on a clean cotton cloth. Any slight grayish residue will just add some character to Zulu's magnificent piece.

The 10 In. 18 Ton Gun at York Redoubt Gun Position No. 2 near Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 10-06-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page