Building the 1:8 Scale RML 10 Inch 18 Ton Woolwich Gun - Page 55 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #541 of 910 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Default Reasons for no activity at Seacoast Arty.

Mike is still at his Mother's house in Calif. She is 97 years old and very ill. He will be there as long as the situation demands. Tracy is hobbling along on an almost useless right leg. A hip replacement is in my future in 4 to 8 weeks. Two days ago I found out that my hip is almost completely shot, not my knee which is what hurts so much!! X-Rays tell the story, I was told. The good news is that the recovery time for hips is about one half as long as knees. Can't wait to have the operation over with!! That's the only time that I will mention health issues here and I WILL NOT discuss any of it online, so do not comment on this topic. Technical questions only please!

It will be early March before we are back on task. There is still time to do get these big British seacoast guns done, but we will be farming out several pieces to a water-jet company we have had excellent results from before. Those 3/8" thick fish-belly chassis I-beam sections respond well to that method of fabrication. The 4 degree lifter sections on top of the wheel shrouds that support the Chassis would be a couple more. Complicated trapazoidal shaped and hollow pierced, they would demand way too much time on a manual mill like our Bridgeport. Once the program is completed, load the 1018 steel blanks and stand back to avoid the water spray!! Probably about 12 hours work on the Water-Jet and about 60 hours on the Bridgeport.

Photos of progress in 6 to 8 weeks, we will try to get video clips of the water-jet operation if they let us do that - should be interesting.

Tracy

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 01-20-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 910 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacoastartillery View Post
Mike is still at his Mother's house in Calif. She is 97 years old and very ill. He will be there as long as the situation demands.
I will add her to my prayers.

Quote:
Tracy is hobbling along on an almost useless right leg. A hip replacement is in my future in 4 to 8 weeks. Two days ago I found out that my hip is almost completely shot, not my knee which is what hurts so much!! X-Rays tell the story, I was told. The good news is that the recovery time for hips is about one half as long as knees. Can't wait to have the operation over with!! That's the only time that I will mention health issues here and I WILL NOT discuss any of it online, so do not comment on this topic. Technical questions only please!
I have super powers and choose to ignore you. We are a community of friends here, we are. We will wish you well and those of us that do, will pray for you. Those of use who have, will offer our two bits worth of advice based on our experience. That is what friends do, and we are friends.

I am 10 year out right knee replacement and 4 months out left knee replacement. No the same as hip but has it's similarities. Advice-do what your doctor says , ask for physical therapy and do it. Do your exercises, not aggressively but enthusiastically. Don't stop Until the Doctor tells you to stop.

Now I will go kneel and do the prayer part, on both knees 4 months after the new one and can because I followed my own advice.

Okay so you smelled me out, my advice is really selfish. If you pay attention and do what we say you will recover fast and better and will be able to go back to work sooner and get our cannons built quicker.

Just the same I am praying for a speedy recovery for you , my Friend.
post #543 of 910 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:58 PM

I too am ignoring your instructions. Mike, prayers for your mother. Tracy, Be glad it's not a knee. Mine have not gone well. You too are in my prayers.

Ralph M. Reese
St. Augustine, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 910 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Double D. and Boomerralph for your prayers and your well wishes. Mike and I appreciate those very much. Please don't forget that we are always standing by to answer questions about the 10 In. 18 Ton RML Woolwich Gun promptly and completely.

Tracy & Mike

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 01-22-2019 at 01:05 AM.
post #545 of 910 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Okay questions you want questions, questions you shall get.

Where are you on this project?

When are these guns going to be finished?

Questions to answer for Jane.

What date will you be here to deliver the guns? (She needs to have the beds in the guest rooms made for you this time.)

Cognac or wine-red or white?

My spaghetti or her taco Soup?

Last edited by double d; 01-22-2019 at 11:23 AM.
post #546 of 910 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by double d View Post
Okay questions you want questions, questions you shall get.

Where are you on this project?

When are these guns going to be finished?

Questions to answer for Jane.

What date will you be here to deliver the guns? (She needs to have the beds in the quest rooms made for you this time.)

Cognac or wine-red or white?

My spaghetti or her taco Soup?

Post your address and we'll make it a party. Taco Soup.

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #547 of 910 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Double D., Counting all the tasks like research, planning, drafting, prototype making, buying materials, etc., etc. that go into a major project like this one, we are aproximately 25% done. We have done some machining of large parts and we have drawings of almost all of them as well.

It is our intention and it is possible to get all the parts made and assembled by Sept 12, 2019. This schedule gives us 7 months to do the work necessary. That is sufficient if we do a few things like I indicated in my first posting in this Update. We may also bring an experienced machinist into the shop to assist Mike in making parts while I martial our efforts nearby at the water-jet shop and supervise my son who will use our small lathe to make things like pins, shafts, bearings, bronze wheels, special bolts, etc.

Since you will be our first delivery, my best estimate is around September 26, 2019.

Mike and I drink very little wine, but when we do it is almost always a red wine. Calvados is what all the cops drink on those European Police Detective shows; Mike bought some and we both really like it. At 80 proof, what's not to like?

We agree with Zulu, Lady Jane's Taco Soup is hard to beat! There you have it; all questions are completely answered.

Best regards,

Mike and Tracy

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 01-22-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #548 of 910 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

I had something more like Domaine le Reviseur VS petite champagne Cognac in mind.
post #549 of 910 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Double D., Either one would be excellent; we will leave the choice of libations strictly up to you two. As far as technical questions go, I think that the type of welding joint called a T-joint used in fabricating the various I-beams we have within this project, is of great concern. There are many ways in which to make a T-joint.

Because the web of the I-beam is only 3/8" thick and the flanges are 3/4" wide and the I-beams of the Chassis must support 135 pounds of Tube and Carriage, strength of the these joints is paramount. Also taken into consideration is the additional dynamic load to add to the static weight at the moment of firing due to the 4 degree incline of the upper Chassis rails.

You see, the 4 degree incline forces the 135 pound Carriage and Tube to be lifted upward .35" in the anticipated 5 inch long recoil path. Computed: (.0175" per inch per degree X 5 X 4 = .35") This is quite a bit of extra work to be done after the moment of firing. A substantial amount of force must be exerted in a very short time to lift 135 pounds up as Carriage/Tube recoil occurs.

Rather than spend my time converting all those metric factors and resulting values, I asked my neighbor the mechanical engineer what he thought the effect would be as a percentage of the entire static weight. He told me it would be between 18 and 20 percent of the 135 pounds in additional force necessary valued in pounds. So 135 X .19 = 25.65 Lbs. + 135 Lbs. = 160.65 Lbs. So the I-beams must be strong! The welds must be well done and strong as well.

So, what type of welding should be used for the T-joints? I favor plug-welding; Mike likes fillet-welding. We don't know which is stronger, so we will leave that up to the welder we hire. The top and bottom flange will be 1018 steel, .1875" thick.

There are four I-beam segments to make, two 8" long fore and aft and two fish bellies 22.5" long each. That is 61 inches of I-beam plus two middle transoms and about 100 rivet and bolt holes and attachment of all those rivets and bolts, which is going to cost quite a bit to get made.

That is the latest,

Tracy and Mike

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 01-23-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #550 of 910 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:26 PM

Here is a question that isn’t technical necessarily but I am interested in your answers. How is everyone thinking about displaying this piece when complete? I was originally going to put it in my office but am thinking now I would like to have it at home. I would be interested in ideas for a stand design. I really would like to see how Zulu is going to display his. With his woodworking abilities I expect he will have something quite interesting.
Regards,
Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page