Building the 1:8 Scale RML 10 Inch 18 Ton Woolwich Gun - Page 60 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #591 of 797 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:29 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuddy View Post
Here is the base I spoke of. It is 32 inches tall. I did not get the length and width dimensions. It is quite sturdy. The color would need to be changed and the top needs to be thought out more. But I believe the strength and height are right.

Depending on the measurements, it might not need a top.
The 30" X 30" base will be the top.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #592 of 797 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Base plus cannon has to be somewhere around 10-12 inches maybe more high, with major mass at the top of that. I just measured the front Parapet through the packing blanket, and it is about 11 inches high. The gunbarrel and carriage itself will be that high.

I just measured the height of my 1841 Cairo gun as it has similar dimensions to this 1:8 Woolich gun. It stands 11 inches tall. Our Woolwich gun will stand that height or more. Looking at the pictures the Woolwich gun, the carriage bottom will be somewhere close level with the parapet. So top would be 22 inches above table top. The last 11 inches the major mass.

Who knows how figure CG.

That 20 inch table with gun mount on top will lower CG and its footprint will be wide enough to resist tipping with major mass somewhere around 44 inches up. 30 inch high top will need a mass equal to or greater than the gun mount to stabilize, as the gun will be somewhere around 52 inches up-chest height. A wider footprint would reduce the amount of counterweight needed.

Hey guys I am just tossing out ideas here. I am also looking at what others are thinking about. Not sure what I will come up with. In the end it will probably sit over there in the corner on the floor. I don't think my idea is best, I am just hoping for a better one.

I don't know about the rest of you, but talking and planning, then watching M&T at work, get me a bit excited about this project, again.

The coolest part I will never know. In about 15-20 year when my estate goes to auction you guys will find out what one of these really are worth. I think this gun is going to be the sleeper in the series of big guns, SeaCoast has offered. The Big Money guys who got the other guns are going to have to have this one.
post #593 of 797 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:52 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by double d View Post
Base plus cannon has to be somewhere around 10-12 inches maybe more high, with major mass at the top of that. I just measured the front Parapet through the packing blanket, and it is about 11 inches high. The gunbarrel and carriage itself will be that high.

I just measured the height of my 1841 Cairo gun as it has similar dimensions to this 1:8 Woolich gun. It stands 11 inches tall. Our Woolwich gun will stand that height or more. Looking at the pictures the Woolwich gun, the carriage bottom will be somewhere close level with the parapet. So top would be 22 inches above table top. The last 11 inches the major mass.

Who knows how figure CG.

That 20 inch table with gun mount on top will lower CG and its footprint will be wide enough to resist tipping with major mass somewhere around 44 inches up. 30 inch high top will need a mass equal to or greater than the gun mount to stabilize, as the gun will be somewhere around 52 inches up-chest height. A wider footprint would reduce the amount of counterweight needed.

Hey guys I am just tossing out ideas here. I am also looking at what others are thinking about. Not sure what I will come up with. In the end it will probably sit over there in the corner on the floor. I don't think my idea is best, I am just hoping for a better one.

I don't know about the rest of you, but talking and planning, then watching M&T at work, get me a bit excited about this project, again.

The coolest part I will never know. In about 15-20 year when my estate goes to auction you guys will find out what one of these really are worth. I think this gun is going to be the sleeper in the series of big guns, SeaCoast has offered. The Big Money guys who got the other guns are going to have to have this one.

DD,
See post 579 for measurements.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #594 of 797 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Z, 15 inches, that better. Forgot pedestal is below parapet.
post #595 of 797 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

With corrected measurement:

20 inch table with gun mount on top 35 inches.

30 inch high top 45 inches up.
post #596 of 797 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:04 PM
gls

Here is the table I wanted but it sold for four times the gun cost. Would have looked good. The second one would look good also but you could just about buy a full size RML 10 for the asking price. Both are old industrial table bases.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7D9902BF-E989-4171-878F-E9059EC9AF4B.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	228220  

Name:	C2B9F588-4B23-446F-8F8D-F4AA4935DD52.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	228222  

post #597 of 797 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for posting those photos, Spuddy. It certainly looks strong enough and the height is perfect; I think it would serve very well to support your British Seacoast Gun. It's more attractive than a simple plywood box; maybe Mike and I would be better served if we took a look at some of the antique shops close by.

"I don't know about the rest of you, but talking and planning, then watching M&T at work, gets me a bit excited about this project, again." Double D. wrote this about our efforts.

He has figured out the height to foot print data on the gun dislay table with a little help from Zulu. Although there are not many visible activities going on at Seacoast yet, with Mike's immersion in all the paper work requirements related to his mom's passing recently, but he says within two weeks we will be up and running again.

GLS, We cannot see the table of which you wrote, could you re-post it please? Don't fret, keep on looking as we will be doing too. I think almost any stand or table would be better looking than a large box.

If YOU have an idea, please post it here. This topic is Directly related to 10" 18 Ton Gun making.

Thanks,

Mike & Tracy

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 03-16-2019 at 07:49 PM.
post #598 of 797 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you GLS for reposting those two pics. Either one would have been a stellar choice as a deluxe stand with which to elevate the Big British RML Gun to a proper display height. It's a shame that the pricing was not more reasonable. Mike and I will start our search for a suitable stand tomorrow. We have quite a few antique shops and used equipment dealers in the Denver area.

Double D., You can see where the height dimensions come from by looking at this drawing from the Victorian Artillery archive at Fort Nelson, UK.

Our drawing of Gun Position No. 2 at York Redoubt, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada which we sent to Zulu was based on the above drawing. You can see that the drawing has 7 FT. PARAPET, "C"., MARK I. immediately after the description of the Gun Carriage. 7 FT. is the Height of the entire Parapet from the Top to the Bottom of the ditch between the Pedestal and the Parapet Wall. To get the dimension Zulu found on our drawing, 10.5", do the folowing calc. 7 FT. x 12" = 84". Now divide by 8, our scale being 1:8. 84" / 8 = 10.5" which is the height of the Parapet wall on Zulu's Gun Position No. 2. Now add 3.75", the height of the portion of the Tube above the top of the Parapet and you have 15" which is the total height of the gun and gun position above the top of any stand. This includes .75", the thickness of the Baltic Birch Gun Position Baseboard.

We also have an excellent photo of a 10" 18 Ton RML Gun in New South Wales, Australia which shows which parts of the original Elevation Gear which will be visible on your cannons. If anyone is interested be will explain the operation of it with the previous drawing and the historical photo.

Tracy and Mike

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling
post #599 of 797 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:37 AM

Default Vertical Post

M&T,

Do you know what the vertical post is on the far rear of the carriage is? It does not appear in many modern photos of these guns and their carriages so it must have been an easily removable piece or one that did not stand the test of time. I have seen one reference to it as a lanyard guide.

It is shown on the diagrams as well as an exsisting one on the pictured gun. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8CD892F9-D094-4678-833A-0BA05B4FC2CF.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	228272  

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs
post #600 of 797 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Fredstaple, Nice of you to call our attention to this Gun Chassis detail. From some online research that I did tonight, I believe that I have deduced its purpose. The reason that I start off with our familiar diagram is to indicate that this was a production piece of hardware located at the far rear of the Chassis, immediately in front of a small platform that the Gun Captain or Gun Sgt. could stand upon to see and direct all members of the gun crew as they perform their assigned duties preparing the gun for the next shot. However, this side view does not reveal the purpose of this standard Chassis hardware. Two historical photos are presented in this post which do exactly that.

Tracy

This photo shows a rearward view from the right side of this 7 In. RML GUN in Quebec, Canada. The hardware in question appears to have a right and a left, hand-hold at the top of the stalk. Because the Gun Capt. is from 7 to 15 feet above the concrete upon which the Pedestal sits, a hand-hold is a necessity for his stability upon this small metal perch.

This photo shows the Gun Capt. about to fire the 9 In. Mk I RML Gun while holding onto the Rear Chassis Perch Hand Hold with his left hand while holding the Lanyard Handle knuckles up, with his right hand, pointing at the 45 Deg. Vent on the right side of the Tube. This photo makes the purpose of the stalk-mounted, hand-hold hardware pretty clear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page