Building the 1:8 Scale RML 10 Inch 18 Ton Woolwich Gun - Page 76 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #751 of 861 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 01:35 PM

Default Handbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipm View Post
@double d, After seeing this forum its spurred me on to do a bit more digging for info about the gun I am modelling. I sent an email to the new museum in Larkhill but got an out of office saying resend email after the 6th Jan, which I will do. By the way the last time I asked for info from the new archive, (2017), they wanted £10 for the first copy of a page of a book plus £1 per page thereafter. So the pamphlet I was enquiring about would have cost £36 which I thought was a bit rich. It looks like the days of donations are gone...

Not sure if you have tried the Royal Armoury at Leeds for information. They definitely have stuff about 9" RML's but I haven't had time to go up there yet. The Royal Armoury have a place at Southampton, Fort Nelson, which I have been to but I was after engineering drawings of the gun, carriage and platform which they didn't have but they do have lots of artillery.

https://royalarmouries.org/venue/fort-nelson/
ipm. Do you have a good point of contact at the museum in Larkhill and/or the Royal Armour at Leeds? I have been trying for a long time to see if there is a digitalized copy of the Handbook for the 100 ton Armstrong gun mounted in Gibraltar and Malta. I would like to try to see if they have one or if the have some additional technical drawings of this gun.

If you do have a person or office, would you mind sharing? Thanks.

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 861 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 03:54 PM
ipm

Hi Fredstaple, I'm afraid I don't have any info about Leeds and the only contact I had at Larkhill was Si‚n Mogridge, Archivist and that was over 2 years ago. email [email protected]. As I mentioned in a previous post the Salisbury Plain Heritage Centre is closed at the moment, opens on the 6th Jan.
post #753 of 861 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 12:48 PM

Thanks much! If you get hold of someone on the 6th please let me know.

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 861 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

We are back on task, fellas. It looks like bad news followed us into the new year after all. Not only did we both come down with heavy colds about 10 days ago, but we were blindsided by the sudden death of our friend of 45 years, Bruce, who had always answered the call to help with machining parts, painting parts and being an electrician by trade, figure out why the lights suddenly went out in the shop, etc.
Mike and I just sat there in a stupor for about a day wondering ....What the????? We heard from his brother that his acid reflux got him with a sudden flair-up. We had no idea that it could be fatal. He was a good friend and a reliable shooting buddy; we will miss him a lot.

So, Mike is back on Task with the Tube machining and I am still recovering from my hacking and coughing. Hopefully by Sunday we will have the last Tube turned into the "Core Tube" shape and have the pics and video clips ready to post.

Mike & Tracy

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling
post #755 of 861 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 11:06 PM

M&T .
Very sorry to hear of Bruce’s passing. He seemed a great guy.
post #756 of 861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:32 AM

Mike and Tracy..Very sad to hear of your Friend Bruce's passing.
post #757 of 861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

My condolences on the loss of your friend.
post #758 of 861 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:39 PM

Sorry to hear that you lost your friend.
post #759 of 861 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:46 AM

Prayers and condolences . . .

I don't often bare my soul, it's ugly and tends to frighten people.
post #760 of 861 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for all of your condolences and best wishes, guys. Bruce was a great guy and we already miss him dearly. When we weren't out shooting with him, we would be comparing military stories and he contributed mightily as he was a tank commander in the 82nd Airborne. You might think, what.....huh????? But that was what he was and had plenty of great stories about thrashing his light armor recconaisance tank, a Sheridan around through the bushes in the Carolinas and the deserts in Arizona. It had a big gun of 152mm, both conventional shells AND a Rocket round which was it's anti-tank weapon. We had a very well thought out work relationship and Never had one problem with it. Bruce had unfettered access to all the machine tools in our shop and in return he helped us out occasionally with over flow cannon building work and home and car repair. On his part, he had a never ending list of special projects he was working on from rebuilding a '53 Willys Jeep wagon to making special engraving tools for his art-work projects, etc, etc.

The update part of this posting will follow throughout the day and maybe we will get a glimpse of the last "Core Tube" that Mike is turning today and maybe not as we very rarely work on Sundays. But 8 of the 9 Tubes are machined and are ready for the addition of the reinforcing bands via the heat-shrink process and I will show photos of those. Several new in-process photos will be shown as well as three video clips.

Until later,

Mike & Tracy

O.K., one photo. This is the LAST of the rust removal projects in our shop. Thank Goodness for that!! OOPS, forgot to mention that the two small fixture parts at the top-center are not done yet and they look like all of these did BEFORE Rust Removal.

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 01-19-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page