Building the 1:8 Scale RML 10 Inch 18 Ton Woolwich Gun - Page 80 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #791 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

A mini-mini update: We agree with DD; " If they lacked interest they wouldn't revisit after your every post." That is true, they would not.

The last month has been a bust. Our bad luck has definitely followed us into this year. Both of us have been under the weather, again. Mike has Bronchitis and I have pneumonia. We have both been under doctor's orders not to over-exersize. Boy oh boy, just when we were starting our Senior 10 Kilometer Run training! Oh darn, guess not this year!! Seriously though, both of us are starting our second course of antibiotics which the MDs say is standard for those in our age group which is technically called, "Dinosaur Group". We look forward to getting back on track around March 1st. Mike finished one Trunnion Band which is ready for heat shrinking on a Core Tube, just before he fell ill to this most recent contagion. Bye for now.

Looking forward to coming back like "Gang-Busters" around March 1st.

Mike and Tracy

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #792 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Okay enough of the nonsense. I have been spending far to much time on my knees praying for people. Don't mind doing the praying part, glad to do it. Its the kneeling part that is rough, two artificial knees makes it hard to get up and down. I got the praying part covered, you guys get to the Healing part, okay?
post #793 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Double D., we can use all the help we can get. In order to save your knees, I stopped at the pet store today and bought one of those choker chain collars for Mike. Use of this item should improve the healing process for him. When we go on our daily exercise walk and I get tired, when I say,"Heel", he better do it, quickly! HA!

Tracy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #794 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:31 PM

Location: East Tennessee, God's Country and Immediate vicinity

Don't take this lightly guys, this year's prevalent influenza strain is targeting the "senior" and juvenile population. Superimposed bacterial pneumonias are especially troublesome and have lead to grave problems. Glad to see you are treating this stuff rather than toughing it out. Hang in there guys.

America has no native criminal class except Congress. Sam Clemens
post #795 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:50 PM

“Mike finished one Trunnion Band which is ready for heat shrinking on a Core Tube”

Those Trunnion Bands were tricky to make if I remember right.

You guys be good, follow the Doc’s advice and best wishes from Virginia.
post #796 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 09:31 PM

Get well soon!

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs
post #797 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. We are paying attention to these maladies, Pete and are trying really hard to drink lots of water and they even having me eating grapefruit! I was probably 8 yrs. old when I last had that.

I believe you are thinking of the Armstrong 100 Ton Gun Trunnion Ring, VA Rifleman. Those were a gigantic pain in the hiney to make. The ring, the trunnions and the rimbases were all made from one 10 Lb. block of 4150 steel. We made four that way, but nine is a Bridge Too Far for that method. For this large seacoast gun we are making a plain, 4150 steel ring and heat shrinking it to the Core Tube with all the other reinforcing bands. After they have all been machined to 5.625" outside dia. we will drill and bore the rimbase/trunnion holes and install the trunnions.

This is the reinforcing band that Mike just made. The O.D. will be turned down to .040" over the finished dia. next and all the bands will be turned down to the finished dia. after they have all been shrunk on the Core Tube. The interior hole is sized for heat shrinking to a particular Core Tube, #1. The smooth band .500" long adjacent to the faced off end is stoned down to just .0015" smaller that the other I.D. section next to it. The placement of the small end next to the right side of the large hump seen on all the Core Tubes in the second photo, will assure us that when it cools and clinches, the small end will clinch first and this will not let that end pull away from the adjacent hump surface as it cools.

The tapered muzzle end is to the left of the hump and the reinforcing band attaching surface to the right. The hump becomes a long tapered surface and loses over 1/2" of height at the back where it meets the trunnion ring front face, but still has 1/8" of height above the Core Tube band clinching surface. This absolutely keeps the reinforcing bands from sliding forward during recoil.

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 02-14-2020 at 02:21 AM.
post #798 of 861 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Mike wants a few more days to finish his lathe work before he shifts to the mill for more interesting work with the update to follow immediately. I agreed with that, but could not resist showing you guys my new T-shirt. This is the first item that I bought for myself in months. I've always thought that this saying is perfect for an Infantryman's motto.

I will let Mike explain his new method for maching the trunnion ring in a few days.

post #799 of 861 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 08:43 PM

I like it
post #800 of 861 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Get your britches on man!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page