Building the 1:8 Scale RML 10 Inch 18 Ton Woolwich Gun - Page 87 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #861 of 898 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I neglected to include these three VIDEO CLIPS, so here goes: I had trouble with the third one, so probably only two will play.

Mike & Tracy

VIDEO CLIP

VIDEO CLIP

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 05-18-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #862 of 898 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

O.K., here is a brief update: We have machined about 80% of the Trunnion Ring features as of this weekend. Also I have taken on the job of getting the 30 regular reinforces started by facing, drilling and boring each one of the 30 in turn, one by one. These will take a while to do, because of the very tight tolerance forced by the heat shrink numbers right at the end of each of these 39 processes. First the precise diameter of the core tube must be measured very carefully by a 3 to 4 inch mic. Lets say the dia. is 3.3140". That means that the clinching dia. of the reinforce I.D. must be .002 SMALLER than that, or 3.3120" and a running fit of these parts be created by heating the reinforcing band by 6 or 7 hundred degrees F., giving 5 or 6 thousanths of an inch clearance so these parts will slide into position quickly and smoothly to the "Clinch Position" where they seize up permanently to prevent movement during recoil. Also a secondary band of larger dia. I.D. material for approx 75% of the I.D. must be turned, a very delicate operation, so that the parts slide together without ANY hesitation. In this case a dimension of 3.3141" to 3.3143" must be achieved. This is very finicky work, for which our 16" engine lathe was never designed. You must sneak up on all of these close tol. dims. by turning the turning the work with no adjustment for a deeper cut, what-so-ever, sometimes several times, so it does NOT cut TOO DEEP!

Here I am, finally earning my salt.

Tracy

VIDEO CLIP:

Mike wants a new video clip, so maybe tomorrow we can do a new one.

post #863 of 898 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 04:05 PM

2 thousands of an inch difference so that when heated it will fit, then when cooled it will shrink and form a bond so strong it can withstand the blast and recoil of repeated shooting. This level of precision is hard to wrap your head around. All the more impressive to see it machined by the gentlemen at Seacoast Artillery. Wow!

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #864 of 898 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Here is the new Video clip that Mike wanted to show a small, but necessary operation. During the build of the prototype we learned just how essential this simple, mundane operation was. It MUST BE Accomplished BEFORE the heating of the Trunnion Ring or extreme difficulties will arise! Here is what happened: Just as Mike's oven had soaked the Trunnion Ring for two hours at 500 F., the oven cleaning setting, we swung the 12" Kant-Twist Clamp into position to grab it, only to find out that we had not done our due diligence on the size of the Trunnion Ring's width and the clamping capacity of our biggest clamp. My BAD or Mike's BAD, I can't remember, but it was a PITA!! It is about 8 seconds to the shop from Mike's kitchen if you hustle. How good were those new silicone oven mitts??

Mike volunteered, so I got out of the way! I yelled when I had the Core Tube in the fixture pointed straight up to receive the very hot Ring. He hustled and got it out to the shop Toute-suite! I made darn sure that it slid down the Core Tube right side up!!! He reduced the dia. of the Core Tube's breech end by .015" with a nice 30 degree chamfer instead of a sharp edge. No hang-up occurred! We both learned that silicone is a terrific insulator...........very effective.

Now, back to a more organized approach to the handling problem. We decided that the dropping of the rings was a critical op, so a few minutes prep was justified on each of the larger Trunnion Rings. The video clip will show what our formal fix was. Mike tap drills the left and right Trunnion pads on each large Trunnion Ring for an 8" long piece of 3/8-16 all-thread which we use to retrieve the ring from the oven. This works very well as it allows us to see the alignment between the ring and the Core Tube's breech end for a smooth, no-hastle fit and slide down to the Clinching Position.

First, your attention is directed to the sentence in RED above. As you look at the photo below, which shows the 3/8-16 threaded hole in process as displayed in the video, you will probably notice that we DID NOT place the Trunnion Rings which had these thd. holes finished with the correct alignment, or large radius facing the Core Tube end closest to you as they sit in the floor mounted holding rack. Think of this arrangement as merely a place to hang your hat. As long as we have the Trunnion Ring on the correct Core Tube per the diameters for correct shrink fitting, we are doing quite well enough, thank you very much! Finally, we have not put the Silicone Kitchen Mitts away just yet. They are needed to handle the 500 degree, 3/8-16, all thread pieces, sticking out of the Trunnion Rings which we must swiftly transport to the shop!

Note the short 3/8-16 bolts that I placed in the threads just created by Mike in the Trunnion Rings. The oven handles will be 8" lengths of all-thread which will be easier to use while lowering the rings onto the breech end of the Core Tube during the Heat Shrinking process.

Tracy and Mike

VIDEO CLIP

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 06-15-2020 at 04:56 AM.
post #865 of 898 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 08:38 AM

Though not as large. Your trunnion rings look almost identical to the one on my Hughes I built. I remember being very nervous about shrink fitting my trunnion on. You guys gave me some advice and off I went. I got it stuck the first two attempts. Luckily not very far on and it came back off. Third time was the charm as they say. I heated the heck out of it with the acetylene torch on the third try. Dropped it and it it hits its stop that time and I was done. Wow that was a relief. I used a .002 shrink fit too as advised by you fellas.

I understand what the 3/8ths threaded holes for use as tongs. But I already had my trunnions installed in the ring when I did mine, so they were my handles. This brings up a question I have.. So your holes for the trunnions will be machined and the trunnions put in after the ring is shrunk on the barrel? I am easily confused. I am probably just not understanding the procedure too well. Hope you fellas are getting along out there OK.
post #866 of 898 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Carbineone1964, I remember talking with you about shrinking your Trunnion Ring on your Tube. I guess I never heard about the two false starts you had. Those can be scary, no doubt! You can count yourself lucky that it happened before the ring slipped deeper, then cocked to one side!! Sometimes those have to be removed by machining, meaning DESTROYING your Trunnion Ring and having the pieces fall off. Not pleasant!!

You understand our method after all. The pics I have retrieved from Fototime Storage should refresh your memory. The only item that bears repeating is that the Trunnion press-fit is only .0007" to .001" and enters via help from a .025" long 30 degree bevel all around the bottom edge and having that automotive, silver colored grease, slathered on the entire Trunnion engagement surface. This method is for smoothbore, light projectile, light recoil guns like the pin ball shooting 10" 18 Ton RML MK II Woolwich Gun. If we ever decide to convert our gun to a 1.250 Dia. Rifled Bore Gun firing a bolt weighing near one pound, then welding the Trunnions in place would be done for Safety.

Mike & Tracy

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 06-15-2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: ADD PICS.
post #867 of 898 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 11:59 AM

How does the air under the trunion escape from being compressed ?

Curator of the Military Museum in Stockholm holding the origanal Morko with my reproduction!
post #868 of 898 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 12:30 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocklockI View Post
How does the air under the trunion escape from being compressed ?

Very good question. I'm interested also.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #869 of 898 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

RocklockI and Zulu, the short answer is that it doesn't. When we apply the full force of the 20 Ton hydraulic press, to drive the Trunnion home to the bottom of the 1.00" deep hole, it feels like you have a tennis ball down there! We hold the handle down with full compression until the air bleeds out. A light scoring with a dull box knife blade the entire length of the engaged Trunnion surface, helps. In two minutes, all the air and a tiny amount of that silver grease oozes out and is wiped off. We have never had any size Trunnion attachment via this method fail, even with two balls and 600 grains of FFFg powder, a PROOF LOAD.

Thank you for the thoughtful question. Anyone else want to know something?

Tracy

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 06-15-2020 at 01:27 PM.
post #870 of 898 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 09:04 PM

I love this! Great job Mike and Tracy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page