Building a naval carriage - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Building a naval carriage

I know I have posted a lot of naval carriage builds. Here is another one for your entertainment.

This carriage is for a 41" long Hern carronade. The owner has no intention of firing it and will display it in his yard. It will be subject to harsh winter conditions and salt air so he opted to have me make it out of fir.

When I build a naval carriage I don't need the barrel in my possession if I can get accurate measurements from my customer. Several of the measurements are critical. A mistake can be costly and the blame falls solely on the one holding the tape measure.
It has happened before several times and the barrel didn't fit properly.
It astounds me how many folks can't read a tape measure or don't know the difference between diameter and circumference.

I send this drawing for them to fill out. With this, I can build a carriage.

This is what I'm trying to replicate.

Here are some progress pictures of what I have done so far.

The barrel

The wood. Fir 12" X 2 1/2" X 12' long.
And rough cut outs.

Boring the capsquare pockets. Because the carriage is narrower in the front and wider in the back, all holes drilled in the cheeks must be done at a 2 1/2 degree angle.

Boring the wheels and turning the axles on the lathe.

The cheek to axle insets must also be cut at 2 1/2 degrees to mate properly.

Together with the leveling wedge platform.

Drilling the capsquare bolt holes. The front bolt has to go vertically through the cheek at an angle so it also can go through the axle.
Note the pencil line that I am matching up to a straight bit by tilting the drill press table.

Then I start the hole with a paddle bit and then switch to a regular bit to prevent drift.
I drill as deep as I can which is the full length of the bit.

Then flip the cheek and repeat. The goal is to make the two holes meet in the middle but the bits are not long enough.

The hole is then completed with a hand drill. They meet perfectly.
After they are drilled through, the cheeks are placed on the axles and the hole is continued through the axles.

Everything fits together.

Chiseling out the capsquare washer insets.

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

This is where I stand now.
While this is not a complete tutorial, it still shows the basic processes needed to do one of these.
Capsquares are next in line.
More pictures as I progress.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 PM

Hi Zulu , I noticed you didn't inlet your front transom, do you find it unnecessary or your plans just don't call for it ? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose53 View Post
Hi Zulu , I noticed you didn't inlet your front transom, do you find it unnecessary or your plans just don't call for it ? Thanks

Moose,
To tell you the truth, I've never even thought about it. I don't recall ever seeing a drawing that showed that or else I didn't notice.
The way the cheeks and axles are inset into each other and the fact that the front bumper is butt up against the front axle and attached to the transom seems pretty strong to me.
I do understand that recoil should never be underestimated and the more things that tie together, the stronger the carriage is.

Have you seen the transom inset into the cheeks anywhere?

When I put the carriage together, I set the cheeks on the axles and then install the transom. It has to slide in from the top because it is also narrower in the front and wider in the back.

If it had to be inset into the cheeks, that would have to be done first, then dropped on the axles because the cheek to axle insets wouldn't allow the cheeks to be spread apart enough to get the transom in.

Just a change of the order I assemble the carriage but no big deal.

Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 02:52 PM

Nice Micheal

I noticed something I did not when I used another thread of yours to make my Naval Carriages. I did not put washers under the cap squares, absolutely necessary you think?

Looking forward to the cap square part, as I want to make some better ones for mine. Thanks for taking the time to post this stuff. I for one really appreciate it.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone1964 View Post
Nice Micheal

I noticed something I did not when I used another thread of yours to make my Naval Carriages. I did not put washers under the cap squares, absolutely necessary you think?

Looking forward to the cap square part, as I want to make some better ones for mine. Thanks for taking the time to post this stuff. I for one really appreciate it.

Bruce,
The washers help. The front capsquare bolt needs to be pretty tight as it ties the axle into the cheeks as well as absorbs first recoil. The washers allow you to tighten the bolt without sinking the head into the wood which would mess with the fit of the front capsquare bolt retaining key.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 05:17 PM

The plans I have for the cannon from the USS Constitution show the transom inletted , I just thought they all were.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 06:11 PM

I am unsure so I will ask. Is the transom part the one up front that has the radius on top for the barrel shape, and goes across to each cheek? If so are you saying this piece went into slots cut in the cheeks on each side. Sorry if I am confusing you,LOL
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone1964 View Post
I am unsure so I will ask. Is the transom part the one up front that has the radius on top for the barrel shape, and goes across to each cheek? If so are you saying this piece went into slots cut in the cheeks on each side. Sorry if I am confusing you,LOL

Bruce,
That is what Moose is saying. I have never seen it but that doesn't mean much.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the post Zulu. I learn a new technique everytime I look at a build thread. This project is looking fantastic.

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page