Possible cannon purchase? Update 11/25/2018 - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by double d View Post
Oh well, I was just observing and guessing about the lanyard. Looks like you got yourself a nice cannon.

Since I am speculating I am going to guess you can clean the whole bore up with a 1" flap sanding wheel

You will have make an extension to reach the bottom.
double d,

That's a good idea. 3M makes those wheels up in several grits, and also several companies make different length quarter inch drill bit extensions that don't require welding. They have a 1/2 inch diameter fixed chuck on the end, which uses a couple of allen screws to affix the bit shaft. The half inch fixed chuck will easily clear the 1 inch bore.

Cheers

Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:19 PM

Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain, Humboldt County, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
double d,

That's a good idea. 3M makes those wheels up in several grits, and also several companies make different length quarter inch drill bit extensions that don't require welding. They have a 1/2 inch diameter fixed chuck on the end, which uses a couple of allen screws to affix the bit shaft. The half inch fixed chuck will easily clear the 1 inch bore.

Cheers
I used one of those flap wheels and one or two of those extensions to get rid of some slag on the inside of the barrel at the vent on my first 1" bore cannon. It cleaned up very nice and I could hardly tell where the problems was, afterwards.
If the owner of the cannon you want doesn't want to lower the price to your offer, considering all the extras you are getting; I wouldn't hesitate to buy it at their under $2000 price. Good luck!

When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Last edited by Ex 49er; 11-08-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: clarity
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex 49er View Post
I used one of those flap wheels and one or two of those extensions to get rid of some slag on the inside of the barrel at the vent on my first 1" bore cannon. It cleaned up very nice and I could hardly tell where the problems was, afterwards.
If the owner of the cannon you want doesn't want to lower the price to your offer, considering all the extras you are getting; I wouldn't hesitate to buy it at their under $2000 price. Good luck!
I'm sorry, but should have mentioned in that post that the seller agreed to my new offer almost immediately. I think he felt a bit responsible for not knowing about the pitting. He said he never fired it or ever tried to clean the bore since inheriting it after his dad passed away. I've also got a suspicion that his wife wants it out of the house.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 02:33 AM

Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain, Humboldt County, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
I'm sorry, but should have mentioned in that post that the seller agreed to my new offer almost immediately. I think he felt a bit responsible for not knowing about the pitting. He said he never fired it or ever tried to clean the bore since inheriting it after his dad passed away. I've also got a suspicion that his wife wants it out of the house.

Cheers
Congrats. Enjoy the drive.

When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:21 AM

Gun Cabinet

Amarillo is my hometown! Say hi to everyone for me.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Default Update to Parrott cannon purchase

Here are a few pictures of my new 1/3rd scale 3 inch Parrott rifle. The tube is from South Bend Replicas. Of course it's not rifled, but the bore is a scale 1 inch.

I picked this up Friday afternoon in Amarillo, TX after spending 8 hours plus on the road driving from Little Rock, AR. The seller actually lives in Idaho, but was visiting his in laws in Amarillo for Thanksgiving. He offered to bring the cannon with him to Amarillo if I could meet him there. I spent the night in a motel and made the return trip Saturday.

As mentioned in the previous post, the seller's late father built the carriage entirely himself including the wheels, which seems amazing to me for a first time attempt. Included was a copy of a 1976 South Bend catalog with this barrel checked off as being ordered. The seller figured his dad had completed the model within 6 months of getting the barrel, so that would make the model around 42 years old now. It has been well taken care of, so other than a little paint wear--mostly on the iron work, it's in perfect condition.

There was some concern about the bore being pitted, but it doesn't look bad to me. It's not mirror bright, just a bit dull, but feels very smooth to the touch. I think the seller was trying to compare it to a relatively new rifle or pistol bore. I think a little polishing will clean it right up.

There was quite a bit of extra stuff included. First there were two extra wheels, an axle, an axle housing, and some itron work plus wood parts that his father made in anticipation of constructing a matching limber. Also included is a custom mold for the projectiles, two load measures made from old military shell casings, patches, felt wads, plus bags of left over nuts, bolts, chain, etc. Lastly an array of old catalogs, drawings, and artillery related books--most of which I already own. He had several catalogs from companies that I had never heard of, which do not exist today. Of course all this stuff was collected before the days of the internet.

Here's a few more pictures from different angles

With the hand spike in the pointing rings

Here's my other South Bend cannon which is a 9 inch Dahlgren--also with a 1 inch bore. It's a 1/7th scale and is dwarfed by the
Parrott.

For what I paid, and what others have indicated here, I think got an absolute bargain--even including having to pay for a night in a motel, 4 or more tankfulls of gas, and spending 17 hours on the interstate.

Cheers

Last edited by Forward Observer; 11-25-2018 at 07:34 PM.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:28 PM

Gun Cabinet

Real nice!
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Well done.

I merged the two topics together so all the information is in one place for future research.

So when are you going to shoot it?
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Zulu and double d,
Thanks for the comments. You two helped me make the decision to go ahead and get it.

As far as shooting it, I've got 2 others I am also raring to go shoot. I presently only have one place to go shoot right now, which is a small former farm that a friend of mine lives on. However, he is recuperating from a recent knee replacement (his second in 10 months) and he wants me to wait until he is able to get around better before I come out. I will try to have either a video or pictures when I do get around to it.

Cheers

post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:23 PM

This is awesome, looking forward to fire & smoke!

Are you going to continue building the limber or save the wheels & axle for a possible future gun/carriage project?

I don't often bare my soul, it's ugly and tends to frighten people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page