It's Official! Spring is coming early! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Default It's Official! Spring is coming early!

Phil did not see shadow

Phil did not see his shadow. Spring will come early.

Time to think about Ringing in the Spring.

Here is my video from last year.

Spring this year Wednesday is March 20th at 4:58 PM CST. Since Spring is coming early this year let's shoot early and Ring in the Spring on Sunday March 17.

Times for the Lower 48 would be:

5:58 EST
4:58 CST
3:58 MST
2:58 PST

Who's in.

Zulu-Michael. I have a suggestion for you. Stand in your front drive-way. Every house you can see from that point, knock on the door and invite your neighbors over to help you ring in the spring. If they can't make it let them know you will fire your thundermug at 4:58 PM.

Might work for others also. Last year I posted a notice on the HOA Facebook page and had neighbors up and down the street show up. I also had two guys from up neighborhood show up with their drones and film.

Not sure what I will do for this year. I am thinking the Lapan cannon, two thunder mugs and a blank from the Bowling ball mortar.

Last edited by double d; 02-02-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagia308 View Post
video time 1:40 would of been cool if they have shot in them, like to see how far they go with them them, say hit that house in the back ground with some small cannon balls knocking down the door for blowing out the door of the garage of the Neighbors LOL!
Sorry to sound a bit stiff neck necked, but this is something we are very sensitive about-safety. Our hobby comes under fire every time some idiot loads powder in a piece of water pipe and blows himself or someone else up. When someone shoots a bowling pin into the neighbors horse barn or a cannon ball of into a residential neighborhood, the Media has a feeding frenzy at our expense-Mythbusters did us no favors.

Because of that, comments such as your are not appreciated. Shooting cannons in such a manner is reckless and careless. We Practice and preach safety. We are offended by those who do not. They jeopardize our hobby.

That doesn't mean we don't shoot at houses. We have. Several of the regulars have had the opportunity shoot into houses that were about to be demolished. They have posted here and I believe several have posted videos on Youtube. Some of us have shot cars also. I have a post here where I am shooting attempting she how far I can shoot a bowling ball. We do this all in a safe manner, in a safe environment and have lots of fun. Thats is when we LOL. Almost all of the videos of these events end with grown up adult cannoneers giggling like a bunch little kids. We have fun

The Ring in the Spring is something we do each spring, to encourage everyone to get out their cannons that have been sitting all winter, dusting them off, clean them up and go shoot. Shoot blanks like I did last year or live fire like I did in 2011. The event is set up so wherever you are, we all fire a shot at the same time.

I invite you to join us. If you can only fire a blank, we have a sticky at the top that tells you how to build a blank. Or load up your cannon and go to cannon shooting range and shoot. Be safe, have fun and LOL.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Lets try to keep this on topic...Ring in the Spring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:09 PM

I am in! Will not be as fun as last year ringing it in with great company near Lexington KY, but fun never the less. Calendar marked.

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I am thinking about starting with the Lapan cannon, then the small thunder mug, the large thunder mug, then a blank round from the bowling ball mortar.

For the mortar I will load 1 lb of Fg then 25 lbs of flour as a blank round. Hope this works. Don't know about noise from the mortar, but there will be a lot of smoke.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Well, is that it FredStaple and I have to carry load? Who else is shooting?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:13 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by double d View Post
Well, is that it FredStaple and I have to carry load? Who else is shooting?

Just use a bigger powder charge!!
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:43 PM

I will try, but last year it was completely miserable here in Nebraska. We are not going to see anything even near freezing for highs, for atleast a week. Likely longer.

There really is no spring or fall in Nebraska. Pretty much have 7 months of miserable and 5 months of decent, if lucky to get that. I blame Global Warming,LOL.

I do not even reconize seasons here. I just say we have two seasons. Cold and Warm. What the calendar says here, means nothing.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone1964 View Post
I will try, but last year it was completely miserable here in Nebraska. We are not going to see anything even near freezing for highs, for atleast a week. Likely longer.

There really is no spring or fall in Nebraska. Pretty much have 7 months of miserable and 5 months of decent, if lucky to get that. I blame Global Warming,LOL.

I do not even reconize seasons here. I just say we have two seasons. Cold and Warm. What the calendar says here, means nothing.
That's why you fire the cannon, to chase off the cold.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:02 PM

I'll try to ring in, weather permitting.
I don't usually shoot late afternoon on a Sunday, but hey it's just one day a year.

I don't often bare my soul, it's ugly and tends to frighten people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page