One of my Cannons I may part with - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Default One of my Cannons I may part with

First off this is NOT a for sale thread. I also hope it is not inappropriate to Post this. If so it can be deleted.

I do not even know if I have ever shown this here. I built it about three to 4 years ago. It is a 1.3 inch rifled Bore, (actually a 30mm rifled section). It is a Breech Loader as you can see. Breech is sealed with a rubber obturator setup. I have a Mold for making lead Projectiles. I fire it with either fuse or Friction Primers and Lanyard. Usually fuse as Primers are somewhat costly as you know.

It is made off a very obsolete Confederate Barrel. I have seen two versions of these. One the Breech lifts upward for loading. The other like mine, swings open Horizontal. It needs some refinements I have just never got to yet. Like better Lynch Pin set up for the axles, and better Capsqaures would be nice. This is cosmetic stuff, none of it creates anything unsafe. It is not Historically correct in every way for sure. Just a neat Gun, built by a amateur. I also wanted to make s sighting system I never got to yet.

I am actually working on a little better elevation mechanism right now. I am going to add a hand wheel on the underside below the trail.

Anyway what I am wanting is any guesses as to a Ball Park asking price? I kinda want to build a new Cannon, so may have to sell to help finance the new one.

I am not so much looking for a binding appraisal, just would like some Ball Park thoughts.

It is one of the earlier attempts I did, so keep that in mind.. I do not even believe the barrel was ever in a Carriage originally. Probably was a swivel Barrel maybe. The original I copied was a 1.5 Bore. So this barrel is Scaled down slightly.

I can post more pics if necessary too. I have not even made a firm decision to sell or not yet. But be Ohnest, if it is a worthless Junker not worth offering for sale. That is fine also,LOL I can take any criticism one can throw out Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Confederate Breech 1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	228568  

Name:	Cofederate Breech 2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	228570  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Heck a couple more pics might help.

And I think it would look better with some maybe 20 inch wheels too. But I am not going to expend Finances for that myself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Confederate Breech 3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	228572  

Name:	Confederate Breech 4.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	228574  

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:24 PM

Gun Cabinet

I have no idea what it might be worth, but I like it. Did you do the machining of the breech yourself ( the ACME thread weighted lock hammer ect.) ?? How about a picture with the breech plug out. I'm guessing the plug fits a short ways into the bore then becomes over sized and mates with the back of the tube? Nice cannon.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

The Breech actually has a rubber obturator to do the sealing for the most part. It is very similar to how the setup is in my Breechloading Hughes Guns. It acts as a piston so to speak. When it fires, the front compresses rearward expanding the Rubber momentarily, sealing the Breech. Then after firing everything relaxes back to normal and allows the Breech to unscrew for reloading. Hope you understand what I am saying.

Yeah my guess is from 5 Bucks to maybe more than that,LOL

I made everything on this except the wheels. Kinda hard to explain the process of building, without you standing here as I explained it, I would just confuse you more than anything I think. LOL

Sorry I forgot, the Acme or square thread and bushing are from a old broken Vise I had . The bushing from the old vise is countersunk in from the front, with lots of meat on the rear shoulder to support it,keeping it going rearward for sure.

I am not real sure how strong this original design was. But I think with the modern steels used, this is stronger than the original design in my opinion. I fire it. And am not afraid to, all that much anyway,LOL

Also the Charge I use in this is 1.1 ounces of 1F. I will post a Projectile photo too if you want me too.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	confederate cannon breech open.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	228576  

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 PM

Gun Cabinet

I get get it. Like an expandable oil plug. Where did you find the rifled tube? An old Bofors barrel? Again nice cannon.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Bruce,

Putting a price on something like this difficult. There is a limited market and you have to find that one person who wants one. Do what I do throw a number.

It is not a bad looking gun really. Why not keep it and find another way finance a new gun. I really hate to sell guns I build.

I do piecemeal and slow, look at Seeppot the K.I.S.S. Bowling ball mortar, I have been putting money into it for 11 years, still another $200-$300 away from finished. I never kept track, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have over a grand in it, probably more. A grand in one whack would be tough. $100 here, $250 there, easier. Bought barrel steel from California, thanks George. Later bought the Breech plug from Pennsylvania, thanks Dom. Worked for a farmer during Harvest to buy the wheel and axle set, from Hansen's-that so far has been the biggest expense, just under $500. Those 5 big carriage bolts cost me $100. But I didn't buy them until I needed them. If you followed my post on that that build you know how slow I do each step and how long it is before I do the next. Lots of thinking of course, and some waiting for the next Social Security check to come in. Our get distracted by Seacoast Artillery's new project, that I don't need and must have, or helping GoW liquidate, or make the summer trip to Montana, life in general getting in the way. But over time I end up shooting 4 balls at a mile that get lost in the tall grass 2 1/2 miles down range.

The shorter version of what I think I am trying to say is, go slow, take your time and you will be able to do your next project without having to sell your gun.

Now, should someone walk up to me and give me 40 $100 bills then I would sell Seeppot. 50 $100 bills and I would help them load it.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks fellas. Yeah I am already deciding probably not to sell unless I really have to. I was already having to make a tough decision in the first place. I sold the first one I ever built, though it was really a piece of junk,though safe to Fire. I regret it. I do know where it is. I sold it to a guy I know here locally. I can probably get it back though someday.

There are two other reasons I am hesitant to sell too. One goes to the question from Northwood. The rifled 30mm section was gifted from George here. The wheels came from the other George from the GOW giveaway.You actually brought those to me Douglas.

So I suppose I should keep it. I do like it also. I will try not to sell if possible. But my Income has really dropped in the last year. Kinda a temporary situation though. You probably remember the Shop here we had when you brought the large tube here. We lost that about 7 months ago and are in the process of getting a new shop to work on Skidloaders, It has been a mess and a slow process with very little income coming in the meantime. We are just about ready to get moving now in the new Shop again though.

How is George doing? Hope he is well.

Thanks
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Haven't heard from George GoW for a while.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:11 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone1964 View Post
Thanks fellas. Yeah I am already deciding probably not to sell unless I really have to. I was already having to make a tough decision in the first place. I sold the first one I ever built, though it was really a piece of junk,though safe to Fire. I regret it. I do know where it is. I sold it to a guy I know here locally. I can probably get it back though someday.

There are two other reasons I am hesitant to sell too. One goes to the question from Northwood. The rifled 30mm section was gifted from George here. The wheels came from the other George from the GOW giveaway.You actually brought those to me Douglas.

So I suppose I should keep it. I do like it also. I will try not to sell if possible. But my Income has really dropped in the last year. Kinda a temporary situation though. You probably remember the Shop here we had when you brought the large tube here. We lost that about 7 months ago and are in the process of getting a new shop to work on Skidloaders, It has been a mess and a slow process with very little income coming in the meantime. We are just about ready to get moving now in the new Shop again though.

How is George doing? Hope he is well.

Thanks
Good thing you pulled that back. I already had my wallet out and counting my pennies when I started the thread.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

I am not 100% one way or the other yet, kinda depends on if I proceed with the new idea, and how much the cost of doing it might be.

I did make this new Elevator today. It is not great, but much better than what I had before. Elevation is done from underneath, so not really correct Mechanism for this type of Carriage. But better I think for this Barrel set up anyway.

The handles are actually old Military Bolt Action Handles someone cut off. I only had two handles, so that is why the Elevator only has two,LOL. I do need to shorten the threads a little yet too.

Here is a pic..Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	elevator.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	228672  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page