New project - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:11 AM

Did you go with full scale deminisions on the base?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

I made the hardware myself out of 2 1/2" x 1/4" flat stock and 1/2" hot rolled round stock. I used pictures of Herns hardware as a guide. I bought the square nuts but came close to making them myself as our little hardware store wanted a $1.49 each. The base dimensions are 28 1/4"x 14 1/4"x 8 1/2" high. It should have been 9 1/4" high but I didn't like the look. I found these dimensions on the N-SSA artillery forum. These are for a 12 pounder. The 24 pounders is bigger all the way around. I found some plans on GBO but these would have been to small for my barrel, it would of hung way over the front or had to been set back far enough that it could flip over backwards, DD warned me or someone else about this in another post.
N-SSA mortar platform sizes
12 pounder

28 1/2 long, 14 1/4 wide, 9 1/4 tall
Front of bed to center of trunion 13 1/2

24 pounder

30 3/4 long, 15 wide. 9 1/2 tall
Front of bed to center of trunion 15 1/2

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default We couldn't wait...

I was going to wait for green grass to shoot my new mortar, but a little grass showing through the last of the snow will have to do. I had my step son here for a camera man and to do the magic of youtube. I'm not quite sure of which shot is which but we started with 100gr of 1F and a baseball, then 150gr and a dog food can full of cement. The one with the newspaper wadding was 500gr of 1F. I'll try flour blanks next time as we won't have snow cover.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Nice. Your mortar looks great. You did a good job building that. Looks really nice. Have you given it a name yet

Your newspaper blank video is perfect example we say don't use newspaper. The newspaper came out as a burning projectile. I am pointing this so others can see. Do that in the summer time and you will have a fire.

You will never get much of report from a mortar, but flour will help. You can set the mortar close to a fence or wall so the mortar is shooting parallel to the line of the wall. Have your audience on the opposite side of wall. The concussion will bounce of the wall.

Also have your camera man turn his camera sideways and shoot landscape format you will catch more action.

Now that I tossed all these instructions out, get back out and shoot some more. We are never satisfied, we need more smoke and fire pictures.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:39 PM

Great job, and thanks for sharing the videos. You did very good work all around it looks like.

Looks Fun. I really need to get a Mortar done. It is on the list of addictions to come.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Yes DD, by the time I carried the newspaper wadding to the fire pit it was fully on fire. Not much to burn here now but in August that would be a different story. The report is nice, enough to send my dog under the bed but not enough to have the neighbors sticking their heads out the door. The next time I shoot it I'm going out to the farm where I can stretch it's legs a little. Oh, by the way, yes his name is "Ole Hickory", if he'd had it in 1814 he'd have used it. I am officially an addict is there a 12 step program for cannoneers ?

Last edited by northwoodneil; 04-13-2019 at 05:50 PM.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Addiction, nonsense. I am not addicted. I am very diverse in my interests. See that cardboard box lower left, that's the model rocket stuff I do with the grand daughter.

Last edited by double d; 04-13-2019 at 08:56 PM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:12 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by double d View Post
Addiction, nonsense. I am not addicted. I am very diverse in my interests. See that cardboard box lower left, that's the model rocket stuff I do with the grand daughter.

DD,
You clearly have a problem.
Your books are crooked.
Oh, so are mine!

Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Wow, is the only word that comes to mind. Beautiful collections. I'm merely hooked I see, not addicted.

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:38 AM

Gun Cabinet

northwoodneil,

Just so there is no confusion, every single gun barrel you see in my picture is made out of wood on my lathe. The only exception is the fabulous little Brooks 24 pounder you see in the left of the picture on my desk.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in