The Alamo, And so it begins. - Page 19 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:34 AM

Now those are wheels. Kinda look like the big wheels they have in the Death Valley Days Cargo Wagons. Well maybe not quite that big, but big enough.

I could be wrong, but I myself do not think the wheels will loosen up on a stationary unit such as this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
The wheels are dished.

If this is true and the axles are not tapered or bent such that the spokes are not vertical between axle and ground, you will have a problem. This will cause side thrust on the joints at the hubs which will loosen those joints, and moving with the wheels rotating will make things worse.

This thing will move about 15' once I have the barrel mounted.
It is likely to stay in the same position for a really, really long time.
It is for display only and will not be going into battle.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #183 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu View Post
This thing will move about 15' once I have the barrel mounted.
It is likely to stay in the same position for a really, really long time.
It is for display only and will not be going into battle.
Zulu
I thought in a couple years it was destined to be moved indoors. Sitting outside, not climate controlled will show up when they move it. The first thing they will need to do before moving it will be to regrease the axles and bushings. I also hope they keep a close eye on the paint. Sitting outdoors in the elements for a couple years will not be kind to your beautiful creation-especially Texas sun.

I was just about to convince Lady Jane, you needed my supervision in San Antonio, when she broke her fibula. She is not in a mode to discuss traveling right now. Maybe this is for your good. . I am still weight restricted from my surgery, so I can't lift anything, just boss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by double d View Post
I thought in a couple years it was destined to be moved indoors. Sitting outside, not climate controlled will show up when they move it. The first thing they will need to do before moving it will be to regrease the axles and bushings. I also hope they keep a close eye on the paint. Sitting outdoors in the elements for a couple years will not be kind to your beautiful creation-especially Texas sun.

I was just about to convince Lady Jane, you needed my supervision in San Antonio, when she broke her fibula. She is not in a mode to discuss traveling right now. Maybe this is for your good. . I am still weight restricted from my surgery, so I can't lift anything, just boss.

The last thing I need is another "boss". I have one already.

I'm not really sure if anyone knows how long the gun will sit outside.
I am dealing with the "Conservator" of the Alamo. Paint is a maintenance item as is lubrication of the axles and leveling screw.
I intend to make sure she knows this. What they do after that is not up to me.
The 16 pounder barrel I am working with sat outside on a concrete stand for over 50 years.

With the Texas A&M conservation and the carriage, they have quite a bit of money invested in it now.
But they are government and it's taxpayer's money. We all know how that goes.

We shall see.

Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #185 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Well, maybe i shouldn't be so pessimistic. I mean, too much correct care and you might miss a maintenance contract in 5 or 6 years.
post #186 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:42 PM

Curious about something else I do not think was mentioned Micheal. I assume they are going to put a plaque beside the Cannon explaining its History and such.

Are you goiung to get a foot note about you Constructing the Carriage or just a mention it was a reproduced? Kinda Cool if you would get the personal recognition the work deserves.
post #187 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone1964 View Post
Curious about something else I do not think was mentioned Micheal. I assume they are going to put a plaque beside the Cannon explaining its History and such.

Are you goiung to get a foot note about you Constructing the Carriage or just a mention it was a reproduced? Kinda Cool if you would get the personal recognition the work deserves.

Bruce,
I have a small (3.5" X 1.5") engraved brass tag that my lovely assistant tarnished to remove the shine.
It says;

Made by
Michael & Cheryl Elledge
Cypress, Texas 2019

I will place it in a nondescript place on the rear of the axle housing with two screws.
I want it very low key because I don't want them to take it off. But I can't control that.

I hope there is a plaque explaining why the trunnion collar is there.
It is beyond my control.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #188 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:20 PM

Gun Cabinet

While I doubt this carriage will roll more than a few hundred yards in its life, just because of what it is. I certainly have zero knowledge of that fact. It always to me looks odd when the axle is not cambered but the wheels are. Zulu addressed that point when I opened it a couple months ago. And he's the guy running the train.

No question about the top notch work he has done on this project. The pictures show that, just that 2 degree camber ...
post #189 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick View Post
Here's the pics. this one is 2-1/2" diameter. I would go 1-1/2" tubing and wrap the cloth belt several times to fit the ID of the tube snug. It is an aggressive tool and will remove the amount quickly. It would be nice to have a 2" round for a test fit piece. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Dominick,

Your idea was the best.
I first took the axle to the machine shop that sold it to me.
I said I needed 50 thousands of an inch taken off each end for 19".

They sat on it for three days and told me they needed 3 more days to do it and that it would cost me $500.

I said no.

My friend made a tool that I could use.
Sorta like yours but goes in a drill.

I have to say it worked but the difference between the drill's 700 RPM and an angle grinder's 10,000 RPM made a huge difference.
It took a long time.

I currently have both axle bushings opened to about 2.038". I think it could use a little more but I have 6 hours in it today and my shoulder hurts.

I tested it with a 2" bar and it slips in easily. But needs a little more.
I'll try it tomorrow.

Thanks for the idea.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #190 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:00 PM

Michael, Your welcome! Happy to see it worked for you. Dom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page