30mm Breechloader - Page 5 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Thanks, Double D, for all the info. When I can get a nice (non-pouring rain) free Saturday, I'll take the gun out to the range and see if I can work the charges up and find one that it seems to like. I wish I had the ability to shoot it out back, but my HOA (and the retirement home immediately behind me) would probably frown on that. Oh well, such is the problem with city life.

I do have some wheel weight lead now (plus about 350 lbs of soft lead from a retired NSSA shooter who got out of the game), so I'll see if I can get a nice clear evening and cast some new slugs out of the wheel weight lead (and maybe melt and recast the existing slugs at a higher temp to see if I can get rid of the wrinkles). It's been pouring out here, so chances have been limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Speaking of zinc, and maybe I should start a new thread, but how do you handle the sprue when casting zinc? I know the temps are in line with lead (a bit higher), but zinc is significantly harder. Can you use the same sprue cutting mold types as with lead, or do you need to leave it open topped and then grind the sprue down?
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Hack saw and angle grinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Okay, I finally got a day of clear weather to test out the different charges.

I put together prepared charges of 150, 200, 250, and 300 grains of Goex Cannon powder. I was shooting at a target 50 yards away.

150gr Shot 1 - couldn't locate where shot landed

150gr Shot 2 - round keyholed in target board on lower right

200gr - round punch through board above targets right shoulder (left side) and either it wasn't tumbling that badly or it just happen to hit at the right point in the spin, since the hole seem a bit ragged, but otherwise round.

250gr - I mislaid the gun, so the round hit way right, but my spotter (a friendly shooter who happened to be on the range at the time) said it seemed pretty straight. The gun still jumps. so this is probably too big a of a charge already.

300gr - Way too big a charge. Gun jumped and the round overshot the 50yard berm and impacted about 10 feet up on the 150yard berm (trees and a large hill past that, so we were safe even if it went over that one).

So, in summary, it looks like the 200 grain charges are the gun's sweet spot.

Last edited by beowulf_grendel; 06-17-2019 at 11:26 AM.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 PM

Looks like you're getting it nailed down.

I was guesstimating about 220, looks like I wasn't too far off. That tight fitting fat slug means a lot of pressure and recoil generated. Way than with a round ball with the same charge.

My Napoleon is a little smaller and lighter overall, but isn't that violent with 250. Of course it's pushing a 1.125" round ball that weighs a little over a third of your slug, with .031 windage. I'm sure if I double-balled it, it would get testy.

That looks more like it behaved before I backed off from 280 in the beginning (I only fired a few of those). I didn't want it beating the carriage apart, and now that the new has long since worn off and it's getting on in years I'm probably back it down even more.

Truth be told I could probably fit all the balls it's ever fired at a target in both hands. The vast majority of it's work has been entertainment, salutes on holidays (or just whenever) with the neighbors and there kids cheering it on, and it's not going to retire from that anytime soon I hope.

I don't often bare my soul, it's ugly and tends to frighten people.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Thanks for sharing the videos. Looks like you are working everything out and having some fun also.
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone1964 View Post
Thanks for sharing the videos. Looks like you are working everything out and having some fun also.
It's definitely an enjoyable testing procedure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page