Is this old plan legal to build today? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:54 AM

Sorry Douglas, my post was not really political, just a funny analogy I like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 PM

Firing live cartridge rounds with either a rifled or smooth bore, it would fit into the NFA "Any Other Weapon" category (which is in alignment with the 2017 FAQ entry-- legal-- IF you get the paperwork and tax paid in advance)
because it doesn't meet the legal definition of a "Pistol" and is too short to be anything else in GCA.

Unless you can convince ATF otherwise or mount it permanently to a suitably large plank to obtain Title 1 status (26" long would do it by regulation, but they do approve shorter, bulkier things on occasion, so a square foot of plank might be enough).

ATF has the power to declare things like this 'unlikely to be used as a weapon' if they want to...

So, ask ATF before making one... or make it a BP cannon and make everyone happier
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:21 AM

Good thing about if it has to be an AOW Weapon, I believe is it is only 5.00 to register it as opposed to the Big 200.00 Stamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

This discussion is a good example of why we say right the letter to ATF and get them to tell you.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:20 PM

Is there a signal gun plan that uses Starter pistol blanks?

As a kid I remember picking up spent brass for a .32 cal that had a rimmed case.

I always thought that loaded with a slug would have made a pretty effective rabbit or raccoon gun.

Still the paper wad blanks from a starter pistol are pretty loud.

If I remember starter pistols have a spike the paper wad strikes and shred's when fired, the barrel cannot allow anything to pass through as its not drilled through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100544873_24163_AE809B782473A6F4_1560565222307.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	231422  

Attached Images

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 06-14-2019 at 11:24 PM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone1964 View Post
Good thing about if it has to be an AOW Weapon, I believe is it is only 5.00 to register it as opposed to the Big 200.00 Stamp
$5 to Transfer, $200 to make an AOW yourself. Yes, it makes no sense.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

It wasn't my intention for this thread to veer into verboten areas, my apologies. So I'll just finish with this . . .

I wasn't the one who originally posted up the plan on the other forum but it did pique my curiosity.

I personally would avoid building this as a firing 'whatever' and made that clear, others disagreed.

My contribution was that "If it were me, I would only build it as a signal gun that couldn't fire projectiles." And that was pretty much the end of my participation. That thread has since slipped into oblivion.

FWIW: My idea was to cut a chamber for .22 nail gun blanks (loud even at low power, easy to get), with a undersized bore ahead of the chamber that a .22 bullet could not pass through, which would open up beyond that point to give the appearance of a full sized bore.

As of now I have no plans to actually do this.

I don't often bare my soul, it's ugly and tends to frighten people.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:09 PM

I suspect that if the plans were submitted to the ATFE to include target shooting and signal cannon that they would give permission ruling that it was unlikely to be used as a weapon. I would be sure to include in my letter that there would be no way to hand hold it while firing (making it unlikely to be used as a weapon.)

I have no interest in building one but if I did, I'd have a letter in hand before construction.

There would be no discussion if it was constructed to fire only blanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page