4th of July 2019, your plans. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Default 4th of July 2019, your plans.

ISo Gents what are you going to do for the 4th of July this year?

For me it will be my annual foray into Pyrotechnics. We had a bit of a panic this year the local supplier of fireworks for our HOA sold his house and moved. We had someone else step up at the last minute and rescue us. I found something new. You know those little "fountain" fireworks about the size of a coffee cup that shot a fountain of colored spark about 6'-7' in the air, well I got 6 that are about the size of a gallon bucket of paint. But since we don't do fireworks here, let me tell you what I am going to do cannon wise to keep us on topic.

At 12 noon at Millers Pond, right across the street from the house here in the Highland Trails Subdivision, I am going to roll Seepot out. Load the chamber with 1 lb of FA. Then load 25 lbs of Hog pellets in the barrel and fire off over the pond. Hog pellet to feed the fish in the pond. I think hog Pellets will make a good filler for a blank, I think, I hope.

I am of course weight restricted right now due to my recent back surgery, so I am going to put up a request for volunteers on the HOA Facebook Page to help me. I will use recruiting video's to enlist them.

and

So, what are you guys going to do?

Last edited by double d; 06-25-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:29 PM

Watch the local fireworks and do a few mortar or thunder mug blank shots at home. We usually save our own fireworks for shooting in the winter with snow fall if possible.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:01 AM

Kids and Grand Kids will be here. Probably just eat some food. light some Fireworks.

If I do not get the Body work and the Wifes Car painted before then. I may be working on it

I will Fire some Salute Loads out of my small scale Hughes Cannon, and out of Doms Beautiful little 1 Inch Bore Vavesseur.

I would like to shoot some Salute loads from the full scale Hughes. But in Town I do not know how well that would go over. I asked the Local PD if they had any ordnance or worries on shooting my Cannons with Blanks and they said NO. So maybe I could get away with the full size, at least once

I will try to get my Daughter to shoot some video with her phone and figure out how to post here. I do not own a Cell Phone so I do not even know if that is possible to go from Phone to Computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:19 PM

Gun Cabinet

I've got kids coming home and I'm going to smoke a pork shoulder. Since I'll be outside watching the smoker I'm sure we will shooting pump .22's from the deck and cannons & mortars from the front yard. Fireworks with the Veterans at dusk. I would like to do a night time salute with my 3" mortar. I'm thinking 500 gr. of 1F and a couple cups of cremora.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodneil View Post
I've got kids coming home and I'm going to smoke a pork shoulder. Since I'll be outside watching the smoker I'm sure we will shooting pump .22's from the deck and cannons & mortars from the front yard. Fireworks with the Veterans at dusk. I would like to do a night time salute with my 3" mortar. I'm thinking 500 gr. of 1F and a couple cups of cremora.
Fill the barrel up with cremora or cheaper flour.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:59 PM

Gun Cabinet

I will do what I always do, watch the capital 4th on our public tv station and listen to the fire works as they go off with the neighbors down the road. I don't have any cannons.

deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post
I will do what I always do, watch the capital 4th on our public tv station and listen to the fire works as they go off with the neighbors down the road. I don't have any cannons.

deaconllb
Well Deacon we have people here who can help you with that problem> We are facilitators here.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:13 AM

I'm thinking 500 gr. of 1F and a couple cups of cremora.

If you are trying for the fireballs, you need an external source of fire for ignition. One would think the powder charge would do it but the combustion gases are starved of oxygen and likely won't ignite the cremora. At least that has been my experience.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:26 AM

Location: East Tennessee, God's Country and Immediate vicinity

I will be dragging out the half scale Parrott rifle and 7" mortar again this year. When shot with a properly made blank and filler the sound is impressive. Last year a friend and family shooting commercial fireworks about a quarter mile away said they could FEEL the concussion. Texted me with "Nice explosion!"

America has no native criminal class except Congress. Sam Clemens
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I have solicited volunteers from the neighborhood to help me move Seepot across the street to Millers pond to test a blank charge. The planned charge is 1 lb of FA. Filler will be 50lbs of hog pellets. I am shooting across the pond so the hog pellets fall into the pond and feed the fish.

I think I may also wheel out the Lapan Cannon and fire a blank from it. I'll use 4-1/4 oz of Fg and equivalent volume of grass seed as filler. Always impressive when fired. And while we are at it maybe the two thunder mugs. They are breathtaking, literally, when fired.

DeaconLLb up in Tulsa may just be able to hear us down here in Edmond, if he listens close. Okay maybe not, but he's only a 100 miles away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page