LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Default Man in WI fined for firing yard cannon

https://www.wisn.com/amp/article/cea...iring/28295206
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:54 PM

Gun Cabinet

I hate to see him cave in and not shoot this year but maybe it's for the best. I think I might have took up donations for the fine and lit the fuse, but I wouldn't have risked loosing those beautiful cannons.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Firing that piece in a residential neighborhood would have been a bit much. Discretion is the better part of valor. I don't shoot mine anywhere but at the range.

"...And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat." Acts 10:13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:49 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

If he were my neighbor I would have bought him the powder and fuse.

It's now legal to sell fireworks in Iowa but most towns have ordinances agains firing them off within the city limits! Most do it anyway......and I applaud them even if it wakes me up!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:50 PM

Fireworks that go up in the air or boom are still illegal in Minn. but the St. Cloud area sounds like a war zone on the Fourth of July.
Not as loud this year, fireworks are not getting cheaper, but my sig. house is on a hill and you can look out after sunset and see locals shooting off their mortars in the distance.
Last year I shot off dozens of mortar rounds at a place only quarter mile from the police station.
Her neighbor across the street bought a few big ones and you could feel the concussion when the mortar round fired off.

Many Minn. towns on the week of the 4th let people have their fun.

RR
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:20 PM
p51

The story quotes him as saying he's "Certified." what exactly does that mean?
Who officially certifies someone for muzzle loading artillery in WI (or any other state, for that matter)?
If there was an ordinance (an Ordnance Ordinance, if you will) against it, I have no sympathy for him getting fined.
Know the laws, people, before you set stuff off!

"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE **** OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:48 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51 View Post
The story quotes him as saying he's "Certified." what exactly does that mean?
Who officially certifies someone for muzzle loading artillery in WI (or any other state, for that matter)?
If there was an ordinance (an Ordnance Ordinance, if you will) against it, I have no sympathy for him getting fined.
Know the laws, people, before you set stuff off!

p51,
This is my certification that I completed a muzzle loading safety course given by The United States Field Artillery Association, Loyal Train of Artillery Chapter.

I have to think it counts for something.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:54 PM
p51

Zulu,
Wow. I grew up messing around with muzzle loading artillery, and even fired modern breechloading stuff when I could on active duty.
I'd never even heard of this before just now.

"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE **** OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:04 PM

Fireworks that go up in the air or boom are still illegal in Minn. but the St. Cloud area sounds like a war zone on the Fourth of July.

This is also true in the Party's Republic of California; the across the street neighbors were launching mortar-fired star shells for half an hour and you could see aerial bursts all around the area, notwithstanding all of the fancy signs posted saying $1000 fine for illegal fireworks.

Another example of unequal protection of the law.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:00 PM

Where I used to fire every 4th of July... at the annual cookout by the pond. I didn't fire any heart stopping loads. We did loudly call out a warning. Several neighbors came over at various times. I explained all our safety precautions. I let them fire it. Sometimes neighbors would request more! I spread 21 shots over an afternoon... about hourly... when the pond was clear of boat traffic. Everybody seemed to enjoy it.

My inlaws sold the house this year to settle the estate.

I know a person who shall remain nameless who gets a noise permit every year from the PD. It costs $5. There's a narrow strip of sand directly across from his house and the bay beyond... He wheels his cannon over there. Somebody always calls the Police who tell the complainant "He has a permit." He said it was the best $5 he spent all year!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page