1/3 scale Coehorn project. - Page 6 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the lack of progress or updates. This project was pushed to the side for a while due to health issues, but my New Year Resolution is to get this done in a timely manner (although nothing is ever truly "done").

So over the past few days I've been chiseling and sanding on the inleting, and today I cut the profile on the ends of the bed and got them roughly sanded round.

It's not my best work, especially on the inleting, but my vision and muscle coordination have seriously declined over the past months. To the point that I was genuinely afraid of the table saw, but I couldn't put that step off any longer. I did my damndest . . .

It's downhill from here, some rough spots needs to smoothed out, then a good finish sanding and a couple of coats of Danish Oil.
Then buff and blue the steel, I've left it in the white until now because of all the handling while fitting it to the bed.

More to come . . .

PS: I always jokingly say that every one is "The last one." "Never again! And then the next one starts . . .

This time I don't think I'm joking.

I don't often bare my soul, it's ugly and tends to frighten people.

Last edited by Terry C.; 01-05-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Some sanding and Danish Oil . . .

Last edited by double d; 01-13-2020 at 01:41 PM.
post #53 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 08:08 PM

Wow this is cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 06:45 PM

Gun Cabinet

That is "almost" to pretty to shoot.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #55 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 07:14 PM

With what program did you create the several drawings to which you've treated us along this journey? I see using it to draw wildcat cartridges...
post #56 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvschütze View Post
With what program did you create the several drawings to which you've treated us along this journey? I see using it to draw wildcat cartridges...
It's an old 2D program called CAD Pro (descended from the Softkey CAD programs). It's pretty lightweight compared to some of the more sophisticated programs I've used, but I know it like the back of my hand (learned on KeyCAD) and it does what I need. And it could run on pretty much any old junker.

Although I did run into some unexpected issues when I first got this new laptop. I finally I figured out that this laptop has a default resolution of HD1080p (1920x1080) and scales up the display to 125% to be more readable (which only makes sense when you're watching full HD movies).

This meant that nothing displayed, or more importantly, printed at the correct scale. Drawings that I'd used many times before would no longer print anywhere near the correct size, which was not good since many of them are templates. Setting the scale to 100% fixed the print issue but the program was difficult to use at that resolution. Everything was too tiny.

Changing the resolution to 1600x900 at 100% fixed that and everything once again looks and prints correctly.

post #57 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry C. View Post
It's an old 2D program called CAD Pro (descended from the Softkey CAD programs).
Could a caveman like me learn to use it? I ain't very smart, don't recognize the terms used in CAD drafting nor understand what they mean...
post #58 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvschütze View Post
Could a caveman like me learn to use it? I ain't very smart, don't recognize the terms used in CAD drafting nor understand what they mean...
It's pretty easy to learn.

But I learned pen & ink drafting before I ever touched a computer, and then my first task on my "new" (not) workstation was to transfer drawers full of drawings (some of which were falling apart) over to CAD, updating them as needed.

So I was focused mainly on the lines, shapes, and geometry rather than specific instructions.

post #59 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Is this just a pretty face to sit on your Desk and impress every one? Where is the Smoke and fire?

Okay so I am impressed, I still like smoke and fire. Kewpie!!!!

Last edited by double d; 01-10-2020 at 08:46 AM.
post #60 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by double d View Post
Is this just a pretty face to sit on your Desk and impress every one? Where is the Smoke and fire?

Okay so I am impressed, I still like smoke and fire. Kewpie!!!!
Thanks for the Kewpie!

It was test fired once (blank, no GB) before final cleaning and polishing. I wasn't planning to fire again until after it was blued (which unless something comes up I will do this weekend).

If it were just an ornament I'd leave it polished and buffed 'in-the-white.' But it would be hard to keep it that way after it's fired a few times.

Early on I'd considered a bronze powdercoat, but right now that's not an option I can realistically pursue. Maybe sometime in the future.

There will be pics, and hopefully video, soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page