1/4 scale Brooks Napoleon Cannon OWNERS - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Question 1/4 scale Brooks Napoleon Cannon OWNERS

Hi,

I am currently looking into the legalities and requirements by Australian law on the possibility of importing a Brooks 1/4 scale Napoleon barrel.

Local law states the barrel is not a working cannon until the vent has been drilled and proof tested by a registered gunsmith at a firing range.

I have read Section 10 of the N-SSA 2017.

Being an owner and in the circle of owners of these brass Napoleons, may I ask what your loading methods are?
Is there a how to format?
How to bag/foil wrap charge and diameter to fit chamber?

*1" pure lead ball
*Recommended powder charge, minimum to maximum?
*Lubricated patch or felt/other wad, size and thickness?
*Fuse size?

Anything else I need to know about ownership, firing, cleaning and maintenance?
Feel free to PM me.

Upon asking questions of Aussies on local forums here there seems to be little to no give/knowledge on this calibre or brass barrels over .75 cal.

Sincerely thanks.

Mark

"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:30 PM

Location: East Tennessee, God's Country and Immediate vicinity

Suggestions 1. Projectile should be slightly smaller than bore size i.e. bore divided by 40 x 39.

2. Consult the maker re acceptable charge range, he knows. Start small.
3. No patch needed, wad can be used to prevent ball from rolling out on it's own. Don't ask me
how I know.

4. Standard 1/16th inch waterproof green.

5. Consult the stickies @ the top of the Forum, a wealth of info on all things cannon.

Best of luck, Pete

America has no native criminal class except Congress. Sam Clemens
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

First Whytey my apologies for not responding in more detail to your request in PM and instead sending you here to the board. I just returned from an ocean cruise with my grand-daughters and 100 minutes of internet was $75 at an extremely slow rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytey View Post
Hi,

I have read Section 10 of the N-SSA 2017.
Liners are required for cannons that fail inspection. Cast Iron will not pass inspection.

Quote:
How to bag/foil wrap charge and diameter to fit chamber?
This question brought to my attention that a very important subject matter was no longer linked active in our stickies. I have located the original post and restored the link in the safe loads and blank loads post. I have BTT the original post. Here is a link.Loading Cannon Cartridges

Quote:
*1" pure lead ball
Depends on your bore size. Measure it with a caliper. Cannon balls need windage. Windage is the difference between projectile size and bore size. Cannon balls should not be tight in the bore like shoulder and hand guns. Rule of thumb for cannon windage is 1/40 of bore diameter. Ball size is 39/40 of bore size.

If bore is 1.000" inch the ball size should be 1.000 divided by 40 equal .025 windage. 39 times .025 equal .975" ball diameter.

If your ball is 1.000 then you need a bore at least 1.026" 1 divide by 39 equals .026 times 40 equals 1.026.

Quote:
*Recommended powder charge, minimum to maximum?
See our our chart in the safe loads sticky for guns under 2 inch bore size. https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/88-bla...tml#post476895

Quote:
*Lubricated patch or felt/other wad, size and thickness?
Ball wrapped in patch, NEVER.

Ball can be attach to sabot or cartidge. You can use 4 gauge wads over powder and over ball to hold charge and ball in bore.

Quote:
*Fuse size?
Fuse size should be determined by what fuse you can get in local market. Generally the the green cannon fuse is 1/8 inch. Rule of thumb for fuse vent is 1 1/2 calibers. The caliber in this case refers to the diameter of the fuse, in this case 1/8". So 1-1/2 calibers would be 1/8" plus 1/16 inch or 3/16 inch. The use of smaller fuse should be reserved for small cannons-smaller than .45 or so. Fuse leaves a lot of residue and a small vent is to easy to foul and more difficult to clean, which could lead to short fuse, slow fuse or misfire. A concern with 10 or 15 grain load, scary with 180 grain loads.

Quote:
Anything else I need to know about ownership, firing, cleaning and maintenance?
Feel free to PM me.
don't PM share it right here. We have a lot of active folks here who have different ideas. There are a lot more who simply browse. Posting here shares information with everyone

Review these instructions for shooting. http://www.cwartillery.com/marty/marty.html

My cleaning method is to run a garden hose down the bore and rinse every thing I use a swab to scrub the bore and a .177 caliber brush down the vent. After flushing everything, I dry the gun completely including and especially the vent and and bore. Then I oil every thing including vent and bore.

Quote:
Sincerely thanks.

Mark
You are welcome.

Let us know what you work out about getting a Brooks gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:56 PM

Mark,

I have two 1 inch Brooks cannons, both are 32 pounders, but same bore as the one you are looking at.

Lead is heavy but you should be ok shooting one inch lead balls. That is about max size for lead.

Another option is a steel pinball, but your backstop needs to be good as these can ricochet badly. I think your best bet is to get some zinc cannon balls. You can order from Rotometals.com. I am sure shipping is horrendous to you, but these are a good option if you are firing projectiles.

Michael Brooks bores his 1 inch barrels slightly larger than 1.00 inch so a true one inch ball will fit. The one inch rotometals balls will fit in the Brooks one inch gun. They might not meet the windage guidelines and thus my not be the most accurate option. There is a mould maker in the UK who can make a custom mold based on the exact diameter of your tube.

I use aluminum powder “bags” when firing. Go to the sticky section and there are very good instructions on how to make these. Use the instructions for making a blank round, just don’t put any filler in if you are shooting a ball.

I follow the max powder chart and 180 grains of 1f black powder is max for a 1 inch cannon. I use this for shooting a ball and when shooting a blank round. I mostly shoot blank charges with 180 grains of powder and fine sawdust. It makes a superb bang.

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Great info fellas..... keep it coming.

Mark

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

G'day fellas,

While still getting my ducks in a row pre-build.....

What sort of accuracy are you getting and at what distance with steel ball?
For range use at say 50 & 100 yards using what size target?

BTW I will only be able to shoot at a rifle range.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Well now, good question. Because several good reasons, I haven't yet shot my Brooks gun live fire. A situation I wish to remedy soon. It works good as a blank fire gun, but i must run it live fire soon.

Stay tuned for updates,
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by double d View Post
Well now, good question. Because several good reasons, I haven't yet shot my Brooks gun live fire. A situation I wish to remedy soon. It works good as a blank fire gun, but i must run it live fire soon.

Stay tuned for updates,
So, in that case, which 1" cannon do you shoot with dowel Sabots? Barrel length, load and accuracy success?

"I myself have followed the practice of the smooth bore cannon era and use Sabot's in my Inch gun."

On a side note, what are your thoughts on mounting a Brooks 1" Napoleon on a tall naval carriage?

I'm an "Aussie" whom seriously wants a quality live firing cannon with cost effectiveness possibly out-weighing original authenticity.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:26 AM

You haven't told us if you are making (or having made) this in Oz or trying to import it. If the former, and you want a naval carriage and a modern (1860ish) design, look at the Dahlgren IX Inch gun.

BP Model of Civil War Dahlgren Gun on Marsilly Carriage 5 + Shipping-dsc04333.jpg

It will stand out amongst model cannons.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:19 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytey View Post
So, in that case, which 1" cannon do you shoot with dowel Sabots? Barrel length, load and accuracy success?

"I myself have followed the practice of the smooth bore cannon era and use Sabot's in my Inch gun."

On a side note, what are your thoughts on mounting a Brooks 1" Napoleon on a tall naval carriage?

I'm an "Aussie" whom seriously wants a quality live firing cannon with cost effectiveness possibly out-weighing original authenticity.

The Brooks Napoleon has 1" long trunnions designed for a field carriage. A naval carriage with cheeks that are only 1" thick will look puny with that barrel mounted on them.
I would think you need at least 1.5" thick cheeks.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page