Experiment with patches - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Default Experiment with patches

I recently received my ball mould from the English custom mould makers and am very happy with it. Have been producing my first patches of lead balls. They come out to approx 1.270 and the bore is 1.293.
I have made a cannon ball recycler consisting of a 2.5 foot by 5 foot armor plate( left over from my czech. halftrack!) suspended by chains at a downward angle. Have play ground sand at the bottom to catch the lead bits. So far it works great and I am recovering most of the lead for recycling.The plate serves as a target that I can repaint as necessary.
The cannon is the breech loader I have recently posted about. I have made up seven cases so I have been firing seven shot groups for testing.
The picture attached is of my first group at 50 yards. They all hit the plate which is the good news. The group was disappointing with two at the top of the black bullseye and the others down below with one way left and low. I am not expecting pin point accuracy with the smooth bore, but was hoping for better.
After discussing with my friend we decided to try a group with patched balls which we did this past weekend. It started raining so I didn't get a pic at the end but the group size was much reduced, approximately by half. This was very encouraging.
I have been reviewing the wealth of information on this site and see clearly the general rule that patches should not be used on cannon balls. Can someone kindly explain why that is? Maybe not as applicable to my cannon since it is a breech loader? Is it because of expected pressure increase using patches? I reasoned my barrel being steel could handle it. Does that seem accurate? I would also mention the bore of my cannon has a very smooth, almost polished finish. Seemed a good candidate to try patches. The patches were made out of cut up cotton t shirt lubed up with bullet and patch lube. I pushed a lubed ball up the barrel from the breech and it took a steady push, but no great effort. Also, I did not notice any significant increase in recoil when firing the patched ball. Thanks for any input on the issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mail-34.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	233728  

Name:	mail-35.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	233730  

Name:	mail-36.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	233732  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:50 AM

The concern over the use of patches is that a shot can become stuck in the bore and be difficult to impossible to remove. Both are unlikely with a breech loader as you are not trying to force a shot down a fouled bore when loading and you have access from both ends.

You still should swab the bore to lessen fouling as too much will increase pressures. Once the fouling is wet, it is much softer than when it is dry and presents less of an obstruction.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

The issue is friction trying seat a large round ball properly onto a powder charge from muzzle. If you have ever seated a patched .50 cal you know how hard it can be. A .50 cal ball has a circumference of . 618 and that is the area in contact with the walls of the bore to set up the friction you are pushing against.. A 1 inch bore has a circumference of 1.237" a far larger are of contact for friction to be induced. Any fouling, debris or imperfection in the bore or ball is going increase friction and make more difficult to seat the ball fully and uniformly on powder charge.

That of course is for a muzzleloader.

As a person who has had a lead projectile hang up in a loaded bore, due to imperfection on the slug of a 1 inch gun, you do not want that to happen.

For a breech loader you are going to need to assure that your patch extends beyond the circumference, to in front of the ball or its likely to "rumpled" loading and make a flyer on target.

I myself have followed the practice of the smooth bore cannon era and use Sabot's in my Inch gun.

I chuck up a length of 1 inch dowel in my lathe. I put a 1 inch round nose router bit in the tailstock, run the bit in to full diameter and cut to length with my parting tool.

You could cut a reduce section on the back side of the sabot to fit into the case mouth.

One caution however. Load your powder loose in your case, no over powder wad. If you do use an over powder wad be sure to use a filler between wad and bottom of sabot to fill airspace. If you leave a cylindrical airspace between the over powder wad and sabot you set up the parameters for the Vielle effect-ring bulging. A good filler for inch gun is 1 inch foam backer rod.

You could also use 4 bore wads available at Track of the Wolf.

Something else you could do for uniformity is orient you balls so the parting line is always in the same position, say parallel to the case mouth. Don't know that it would make a difference, but it might.

Last edited by double d; 09-05-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:47 AM

Gun Cabinet

[QUOTE]

"A .50 cal ball has a circumference of . 618"

Really Double D???
Where did you come up with that?
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

https://www.piday.org/calculators/ci...e-calculator/#

However, since you pointed it I did the math and pi times diameter gives a different answer.

3.14 x .5 = 1.57"

So 1" diameter equal. 3.14 x 1. = 3.14"

Makes the friction figure I tried to explain even greater
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-09-05.png
Views:	33
Size:	496.3 KB
ID:	233734  

Last edited by double d; 09-05-2019 at 10:06 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for explanation and additional info. Really appreciate it. I will plan to try the sabot method sometime soon to compare to the patched ball results. Double d-In your pics above the ball appears to be glued to the sabot? Is that right? Wonder how far the sabot will ride with the ball. I like the idea of inletting the base of the sabot to fit inside the case. That would act as a filler to avoid too much open space in there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

The Sabots shatter and fell away. I didn't glue that I remember. Others did. Since the sabot shattered I didn't want wood particles sticking to the ball.

Last time I shoot the Inch gun, I used 4 gauge felt wads.

Air space is okay as long as it isn't cylindrical.

Last edited by double d; 09-05-2019 at 05:22 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:05 PM

I tried the link and could not make it come up with a wrong answer.

I don't often bare my soul, it's ugly and tends to frighten people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page