Lead balls-iron balls - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Question Lead balls-iron balls

I have acquired solid cast iron 2" diameter balls from a local vendor, I have fired my 2/3 replica 6lbr, with a 2.25" smoothbore, (measured with digital caliper), with blank loads and golf balls, and a "Grape Shot Load" 4 oz of swiss cannon powder, ( a whole lot of fun). But I would like to fire these solid "cannon balls", since I am at best a novice can you fine people recommend how I should load these projectiles? Do I patch the ball? What is the best way to ensure the ball is centered in the bore?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57168274_2107097246025821_7325435446270361600_n[1].png
Views:	18
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	237392  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:34 PM

Gun Cabinet

It seems that the ball would have to be attached to a sabot close to the bore diameter.
I doubt, however, that you will attain very good accuracy because of the .25" windage.

Here are some pictures.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Default Cast Iron Cannon Balls

I have acquired solid cast iron 2" diameter balls from a local vendor, I have fired my 2/3 replica 6lbr, with a 2.25" smoothbore, (measured with digital caliper), with blank loads and golf balls, and a "Grape Shot Load" 4 oz of swiss cannon powder, ( a whole lot of fun). But I would like to fire these solid "cannon balls", since I am at best a novice can you fine people recommend how I should load these projectiles? Do I patch the ball? What is the best way to ensure the ball is centered in the bore?
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57168274_2107097246025821_7325435446270361600_n[1].png
Views:	16
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	237406  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Gun Cabinet

As Zulu said, you will get a lot of slop with that much difference in projectile size and bore diameter.

In shooting my 2" gun, the zinc projectiles I have (which appear to be cast for a ball mill) were a bit undersized (not quite as undersized as yours though). I made some ersatz sabots using aluminum foil and made a little cushion for them to side on. It also helped keep the ball from simply rolling away from the charge, which would also be an issue.

Though I have to say that Zulu's stuff always looks way nicer. Maybe I'll try crafting up some proper sabots this winter.

Zulu, are your sabots dished at all or are they just flat disks with the ball sitting on top?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 03:35 PM

Location: East Tennessee, God's Country and Immediate vicinity

I use the same type 2" balls in my 2.25" Parrott. I make sabots of 2.24" diameter and 2.5" height with a fly cutter in a drill press then make a recess for the ball with a modified spade bit. They should be an easy slip fit to the bore. Two strips of 1/8 masking tape will hold the ball in position on the sabot. Due to the length of the sabot and it's close diameter match to the bore there is no tipping of the projectile in the bore to cause binding. Sabots may or may not separate when fired. Shot will tend to key-hole if sabot stays with the ball. Hope this helps, there are old threads that discuss this at considerable length.

America has no native criminal class except Congress. Sam Clemens
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Default Iron Balls

Thank you Zulu, any idea where I might get 2.25" balls in Iron or Zinc?

Thanks
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 06:49 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf_grendel View Post
As Zulu said, you will get a lot of slop with that much difference in projectile size and bore diameter.

In shooting my 2" gun, the zinc projectiles I have (which appear to be cast for a ball mill) were a bit undersized (not quite as undersized as yours though). I made some ersatz sabots using aluminum foil and made a little cushion for them to side on. It also helped keep the ball from simply rolling away from the charge, which would also be an issue.

Though I have to say that Zulu's stuff always looks way nicer. Maybe I'll try crafting up some proper sabots this winter.

Zulu, are your sabots dished at all or are they just flat disks with the ball sitting on top?

My sabots are not actually "dished" but I cut a recess with a forstner bit in the wood to allow the ball to sit in it..
It works nicely..

Tanker45,
I don't know where to get the proper sized balls but someone else here might.
Zulu

Zulu's Website
www.jmelledge.com
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:56 AM

You could order a custom mould, expensive but an option if you have the ability to cast yourself. Rotometals has for sale four sizes of zinc cannon ball, but not 2.25. Maybe if this is a common size they might b3 willing to cast using your mould. I think they have done this in the past, Double D probably knows if this is possible.

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 01:55 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredstaple View Post
You could order a custom mould, expensive but an option if you have the ability to cast yourself. Rotometals has for sale four sizes of zinc cannon ball, but not 2.25. Maybe if this is a common size they might b3 willing to cast using your mould. I think they have done this in the past, Double D probably knows if this is possible.
Given the large number of scaled tubes in 2.25" (billiard ball), I'm kind of surprised they don't already.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

You are all very knowledgeable/helpful I appreciate it very much!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page