2020 ring in the spring-Weekend March 21-March 22 - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Your wife should be listened to. If she is happy you have a better chance that you will be happy.

In my case Lady Jane is a co-conspirator, we live in an HOA in the country and one of the Covenants of the HOA says fireworks are okay. All I do is announce on the HOA FB pagr and fire away.

I lived in the City in Montana, so no fireworks or shooting. I had to either go up Southpaws, the gunclub or out on the prairie. I do miss Montana. Have you seen my pictures of cannon shooting in Montana, social distancing, no problem.

Last edited by double d; 03-19-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 06:04 PM

Gun Cabinet

Yeah, every time I see video of the guys out west shooting at long range without anything in the backdrop to worry about, I get a bit jealous. Here in Indiana, even in the absolute remote parts of the state, you still have enough houses and farms around to have to worry about backstop. The range I go to is tucked down in a valley between some larger wooded hills, so we can shoot some pretty large stuff without worrying too much, but even then, I have to be really careful about the angle to avoid any skipping. It would probably be okay, since behind the 20ft backstop is another larger wood hill, but safety is always first.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Jane again asked me why am I doing this. I said why not. We are shut down and shut in. We can sit here and do nothing but fret, or we can stay busy doing something, anything. I have been laid up for a year and a half, and I am tired of doing nothing. I need to do something. Just not her something!

I am working on building a cartridge for My 8 inch siege howitzer. ( will try to find the original post and add cartridge build to that.

I got distracted-I am having a new books shelf built in my office and the carpenter was finishing up. I apparently started this post and didn't finish.

Notice one of the first items put up, on the bottom, AOP Cannon plans. When completed the lower portion will have doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bookcase01.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	243182  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 01:03 PM

Gun Cabinet

Did you take that Zebra yourself?
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

There is a story. Yes I shot it. I was the backer upper. I am having a good chuckle about that, as I recall the hunt in 2002...We told the story back then how my elderly 72 year old Mother in law shot this animal-she did, that is the short story. The chuckle? Here I sit age 72.

Guys keep your self busy.

Last edited by double d; 03-20-2020 at 07:27 PM.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

This is Ring in the Spring Saturday. 3 PM Eastern, 2 PM Central, 1 PM Mountain, Noon Pacific.

We are going to make this a morale booster event at our house. Daughter and Son-i-n law are both work at home, two grandaughters are extended spring break as part of the COVID 19 shut down. Because of them being out in public, and because Jane and I are both in high risk categories we have been practicing social distancing with them. Jane and I have also been staying home and having things delivered.

We all usually have some some sort of spring break activity we do. Not this year. So have to some fun as a family we are going do the Ring in the Spring with the electronic controller while maintaining social distance and boosting morale.

The plan. Family will sit in lawn chairs in their driveway. I will set up Thunder Mugs and cannon in our yard wired to the electronic ignition. Family will have the controller. I will be working the camera's. I will give the fire commands via the phone.

Last edited by double d; 03-21-2020 at 01:04 PM.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 07:32 PM

Gun Cabinet

Looking good, that should help chase away the winter blues. Nice camera work.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 05:35 PM

Gun Cabinet

Just a few shots from my GB mortar, sorry no pics, no camera man. But I was right on time at 2pm. Any body else?

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Well we must have a new neighbor. A fellow grumped about the cannon fire on the HOA facebook page. Don't know who he is. He made it pretty clear he was new here and he didn't think this was right. The rest of the community ripped him up pretty good. I didn't say a word, didn't have to.

We live in the county and the HOA covenants warn that fireworks are permitted in the community.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page