Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon Sponsored by Seacoast Artillery (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/88-blackpowder-mortar-cannon-sponsored-seacoast-artillery.html)
-   -   Cannon restoration project (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/88-blackpowder-mortar-cannon-sponsored-seacoast-artillery/409256-cannon-restoration-project.html)

NMPaul 01-27-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannonmn (Post 2056004570)
Not sure how much more time and effort you want to spend working on these details, up to you of course. Im almost positive the tube is hollow between the pipe-bore and the outer wall of the tube.

What you want to do is dismount the tube and weigh it. Then measure the outside dimensions of the tube, approximately. Then get a friend who is good at math to calculate the tube outside volume in cubic feet. Then subtract the bore volume. Then divide weight by volume to get density in say, pounds per cubic foot. If piece is real cast iron the number should be about 490 lbs/ft3. If it is way less it is hollow.

It finally hit me what you were trying to say in your first post. I never even considered that the tube was hollow. I will look at it completely differently now.
So, the barrel if solid metal should weigh at least a few hundred pounds?
So if the tube is as you think hollow, then it was not made to be fired?
Why the touch hole then? Just for show I guess. I guess one other way to check is to drill into barrel with small diameter drill, but, off course that would compromise the barrel.

zulu 01-27-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMPaul (Post 2056004608)
It finally hit me what you were trying to say in your first post. I never even considered that the tube was hollow. I will look at it completely differently now.
So, the barrel if solid metal should weigh at least a few hundred pounds?
So if the tube is as you think hollow, then it was not made to be fired?
Why the touch hole then? Just for show I guess. I guess one other way to check is to drill into barrel with small diameter drill, but, off course that would compromise the barrel.

If it is hollow, it could be filled with concrete. Way to many unanswered questions to even consider trying to fire it.
Think about what is at stake.
Zulu

JackHern 01-27-2020 03:48 PM

Looks similar to the lines of the 1857 Napoleon - but off.
Not one of ours.
Welcome to the sport!

cannonmn 01-27-2020 04:01 PM

So, the barrel if solid metal should weigh at least a few hundred pounds?. Get the dimensions then your question on weight can be answered with more confidence. And weigh the tube.

va rifleman 01-27-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMPaul (Post 2056004608)
So, the barrel if solid metal should weigh at least a few hundred pounds?.

A lot of good advice from Cannonmn and Zulu.

I have 2.25” rifled barrel. Its relatively slim and lightweight, designed to be carried on a mule and weighs 212 lbs. I’d hazard, your barrel (if solid) should weigh twice that.

Like Cannonmn said, if good dimensions, it’s possible to calculate a weight.

Looks like you have a vent liner which could be good, or not so good if it’s the path between inner and outer barrels. It’s also good the vent is pretty far forward.

A big red flag is the plate attached to the muzzle. The gap is bad corrosion wise. The plate may attach the inner and outer barrels and even if not, it could come off unexpectedly. I’d cut if off. It would look better, get rid of the gap and you’ll know if it’s a hollow barrel.

Another area to look at is how the trunnions are attached.

NMPaul 01-27-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulu (Post 2056004636)
If it is hollow, it could be filled with concrete. Way to many unanswered questions to even consider trying to fire it.
Think about what is at stake.
Zulu

But, Zulu, that leaves the question, what do I do with the 7 lbs. of Goex Canon powder I ordered last night and an email just told me was shipped. LOL

I guess when when done restoring this one I will have to buy a real one. haha:tango_face_wink:

NMPaul 01-27-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackHern (Post 2056004648)
Looks similar to the lines of the 1857 Napoleon - but off.
Not one of ours.
Welcome to the sport!

Jack, first I like your avatar. Gonna have to steal it. I agree once I started looking specifically at 1857 Napoleons, but, still those pesky wheels on the back. Those may have just been some extra frill added by whoever put this cannon together.

NMPaul 01-27-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannonmn (Post 2056004650)
So, the barrel if solid metal should weigh at least a few hundred pounds?. Get the dimensions then your question on weight can be answered with more confidence. And weigh the tube.

That is next thing I do. I literally ordered powder for it last night just to try light Charles, but, considering what you finally got across to me today, the barrel is coming off the gun and will weigh it.
Thanks again

NMPaul 01-27-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by va rifleman (Post 2056004658)
A lot of good advice from Cannonmn and Zulu.

I have 2.25 rifled barrel. Its relatively slim and lightweight, designed to be carried on a mule and weighs 212 lbs. Id hazard, your barrel (if solid) should weigh twice that.

Like Cannonmn said, if good dimensions, its possible to calculate a weight.

Looks like you have a vent liner which could be good, or not so good if its the path between inner and outer barrels. Its also good the vent is pretty far forward.

A big red flag is the plate attached to the muzzle. The gap is bad corrosion wise. The plate may attach the inner and outer barrels and even if not, it could come off unexpectedly. Id cut if off. It would look better, get rid of the gap and youll know if its a hollow barrel.

Another area to look at is how the trunnions are attached.

I am not familiar with what a vent liner is on a cannon barrel. The touch hole?

I will try to get a picture of the trunnions tonight. Thanks for the ideas. I dont think there is a plate attached to the muzzle. Get a better pic of that also. Thanks

northwoodneil 01-27-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMPaul (Post 2056004702)
I am not familiar with what a vent liner is on a cannon barrel. The touch hole?

I will try to get a picture of the trunnions tonight. Thanks for the ideas. I dont think there is a plate attached to the muzzle. Get a better pic of that also. Thanks

Think of a vent liner as a bolt with the touch hole drilled in the center. This provides an uninterrupted path between outside of a cast barrel and it's liner tube. This is so corrosion doesn't start between the two and weaken the barrel.