Cannon restoration project - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Default Cannon restoration project

I have been casually looking for a Civil war, Napoleonic war, Indian war cannon for the last 5 years. A project to restore and for yard art at my house. Living in NM there was not much around and really didn't want something fake looking. Well I finally pulled the trigger on a cannon on eBay with basically very little knowledge about it, and the seller said they knew nothing about it either being it was from a estate sale. Irregardless of what I find out about it, I am happy with the look and cant wait to get started on restoring it.
The Uship guy is delivering it hopefully at the end of this week and then I can get some better pictures. 2.5" barrel. I did research the axle and it appears to be made by a company post civil war.
Anyhow, here is a picture. If anyone has any thoughts on it, or experience with it, I would love to hear what you got to say. Thanks. Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	623.7 KB
ID:	240202  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:19 AM

Gun Cabinet

Definitely post more pictures. That's an unusual carriage design, at least it is to me. Is the barrel rifled? At 2.5", that would be roughly a 2 pounder, if smooth bore. Rifled would be bigger of course.

Any markings on the barrel or trunnions?
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:52 PM

Location: East Tennessee, God's Country and Immediate vicinity

I've seen that axle and hub arrangement here earlier, the axle at least needs reworking. Thank you for sharing your find and yes, more pictures!

America has no native criminal class except Congress. Sam Clemens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Default Cannon project starts today

Been casually looking for a cannon the last 5-6 years. Live in NM so not much locally and never pulled the trigger on one till last week. Looks like decent condition, but, still in need of a restoration. Wanted something from between Napoleonic wars to N. American Indian wars. I have no details on this cannon, but , pretty sure a replica because it has hex nuts on it.
Anyone have any experience or recognize the type of cannon I would sure be interested in hearing what you got to say.
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:29 PM

Gun Cabinet

I've never seen a ring riveted onto the lunette like that, but there are people here who know far more then I do or probably ever will.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf_grendel View Post
Definitely post more pictures. That's an unusual carriage design, at least it is to me. Is the barrel rifled? At 2.5", that would be roughly a 2 pounder, if smooth bore. Rifled would be bigger of course.

Any markings on the barrel or trunnions?
So far no. Just got it this morning and have not spent much time with it except to pb blaster on the nuts. Lots of rust. There are some square nuts and some hex. The axle I did get some info from the print on it and I am pretty sure post civil war. Because of the hex nuts I am thinking a replica, but, I know there were machined threads in 1800s.
The bore is in bad shape with rust, and I doubt there is rifling and if there ever was it is gone now. Some type of epoxy or something over the touch hole.
Having a hard time posting pics on this site, but, will take another run at it.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:45 PM

Cannot help. But it is kinda a Cool Gun. I like it just as it is. Instead of a complete restore to look new. I think I would just find a way to coat it/preserve it from further deterioration. And leave most of the Patina as is. Maybe some light cleaning, and a generous coating of Linseed oil on the whole thing and as needed afterwards. I think extensive restoration would drop the value considerably if you ever decided to part ways with it.

But I realize not everyone thinks like me, and it is not mine,LOL Either way have fun with it, that is the important part. I really like it.

Sorry forgot.

Welcome to the Forum also. You will get a lot of good help here I am sure.
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 12:30 PM

Gun Cabinet

That definitely seems pretty overbuilt with the bore diameter to OD ratio, especially for a 2.5" gun. Not sure if there is an easy way to check the integrity of the barrel, but if it is in good shape and just a bit rusty, you might be able to get it shooting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page