Coehorn mortar question - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Coehorn mortar question

Was there ever a wheeled carriage for a coehorn mortar? I expect to get a very short (2 letter "no") response but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask those with more knowledge then myself. I've got a new project in the works and am looking to do something different but still want to keep it authentic.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

No, but there was a sling cart to pick them up and move them. You can get plans from AOP.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Thanks DD, that's not really what I had in mind. It would be nice to have though, when I move my full size coehorn around.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

The British had a field expedient wheeled carriage for their 8 inch Siege Mortar.

Here is a video showing how the mounted the wheels for movement.

Oh did I mention I built one. K.I.S.S. bowling ball mortar-Seeppot I built this scaling from the drawing. It would be real easy to use the length of your carriage and measure the carriage in the drawing and come up with a scale to get wheel size.

Here is what a pound of powder looks like when fired in a mortar.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

That's more like what I was thinking of. Very nice by the way. I've read some of that thread but most of the old pics wouldn't work for me. I found your post at the British Militaria Forum and will do some reading. Thank you.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

DD, the lunette on the plans is reversed from the one in the photos. Do you suppose this is a field modification or drafting error? It makes more sense to me to have it like the one in the photo.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 10:27 AM

That is a very nice Mortar Douglas built. I kinda lost track DD. Were you ever able to attain the mile or close to it?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Looking at various drawings the lunette could be either way. I choose ring up so as to not have the weight of the gun on the ring when perched. It also makes it easier to grab the lunette to lift the perch.

Alas Bruce I was unable to hit the mile marker. The bowling balls were all lost in tall grass a mile beyond the mile marker 2 miles down range.

Last edited by double d; 02-19-2020 at 11:42 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Ok, as long as I have this thread going another possible problem. The bore on this mortar is 1.69 inches. A golf ball rolls in easily now but fouling is bound to be an issue. The maker says he use to make them 1.72" but his competition shooters wanted 1.69 and has built them like that ever since. With the trunnions in place opening this up on a lathe would be problematic I would guess. I could shoot 1.67 zinc and that would help some or I could use a cylinder hone to open it up a few thousandths. Maybe I'm over thinking this, what say you?

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Competition shooters. Max diameter for a golf ball 1.68". 1.69" for competition utter nonsense. With 1/40th windage bore should be 1.72".

If you bought it direct I would send it back. It can be opened up with trunnions on by mounting in 4 Jaw chuck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page