Cannon possible use - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Default Cannon possible use

Kinda pricey for sure. But think it may have any useful application in a smaller Bore Cannon?

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...COATINGS%2bLLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Bruce that stuff is for a different kind of fouling than what we get. It is hard to beat just plain boiling water for cleaning blackpowder fouling.

I have been eyeing Bissel steam cleaner. Cost $3 more than that little bottle of chemicals from Brownells.

Next time I am in Walmart I am going to look at one. It's cheap enough and if it doesn't work, I'll rebook it and give it to Lady Jane for Christmas. On the Martini board , the Europeans talk about using one to clean their black powder guns.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

I think it says for Blackpowder, it makes clean up maybe easier. Not so much to reduce fouling. I was going to order some for 1893 Marlin Lever in 38-55 and gave some thought to trying it in my smaller Cannons. Might be a waste of it though. I hate to waste hard earned money.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

They mention the carbon ring of black powder, but that carbon ring is a by product of shooting Black powder substitutes in particular Triple 7, not black powder.

I have been using Prestone Antifreeze for cleaning and NAPA for oiling. But I did buy the steamer to try it out.

Look real close that stuff is a bore treatment to make cleaning easier. You treat the bore and clean up is easier. It's not hard now. For what we do and what we shoot, I think the steamer is a better deal.

Now for my BSA Model 1215 in 17 Hornady Hornet, I would use a product like this.

Last edited by double d; 02-27-2020 at 10:56 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

That is going to be my main purpose for it. In my Rifle. I just thought if I have some spare. I would maybe give it a shot so to speak. Especially in my little rifled .50 Caliber Hughes model.

Thanks Douglas.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

It isn't going to hurt anything, that is for sure.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 05:39 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by double d View Post

I have been using Prestone Antifreeze for cleaning and NAPA for oiling.
Can I get the low down on that for cleaning and oiling? In all my years of shooting black powder I've never heard of using antifreeze for cleaning. I've heard of about everything else under the sun but this is a new one to me. I'm a Dawn dish soap and hot water guy myself.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodneil View Post
Can I get the low down on that for cleaning and oiling? In all my years of shooting black powder I've never heard of using antifreeze for cleaning. I've heard of about everything else under the sun but this is a new one to me. I'm a Dawn dish soap and hot water guy myself.
In the early 90's Paul A Matthews wrote a series of small books on shooting black powder cartridges for Wolfe Publishing. One book covered things like home brew cleaning solutions and such. I would tell you which one except earlier today I packed all the books up. I am having a guy come in next week and build me a floor to ceiling wall to wall book case storage cabinet.

In one of the books he talks about antifreeze for cleaning. It contains rust and corrosion inhibitors for brass and steel. The Same with NAPA Automatic Transmission Fluid it has rust and corrosion inhibitors and is thick enough that it doesn't run and thin like most gun oils. Matthews as have I have taken a bit of flack over antifreeze as it is dangerous for pets and kids-ethylene glycol alcohol, as it has (had) a sweet taste to it. Something has been added to antifreeze in recent years to make it bitter to taste just for that reason. Some have claimed prolonged exposure caused health problem by absorption, but recent studies by CDC don't support that, only hazard is from ingestion. Bottom line don't let your kid or pets eat you cleaning patches.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 04:51 AM
gls

I tried some of that magic stuff on my Kentucky rifle that I shoot monthly in matches and one 1” bore cannon. I did not see any difference. Hot water is the best. Made a steam cleaner for my rifles and use boiling water for the cannons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page