Carriage paint formula - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:57 PM

Gun Cabinet

Btt

Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

If you were thinking of paint for you new cannon try taking the carriage or part of the carriage into the paint store for computer color matching. The paint could be sun-faded or oxidized. Oxidized, wipe down with linseed oil, might help restore. Wipe the oil on, then wipe it completely off.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:00 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by double d View Post
If you were thinking of paint for you new cannon try taking the carriage or part of the carriage into the paint store for computer color matching. The paint could be sun-faded or oxidized. Oxidized, wipe down with linseed oil, might help restore. Wipe the oil on, then wipe it completely off.
The paint on my new cannon is in pretty good condition, so I was going to leave it as is for the present. It still has a nice semi-gloss sheen to it--while oddly the 2nd set of wheels that were included in the deal came with a lot of paint loss. Maybe they were originally used and were swapped out when the paint began to look bad. The overall color still looks a shade or two-- too light to me, but I can live with it.

However, I was going to have some fresh paint made up for the quarter scale M1841 six pounder that I won in an auction a few months back. It came painted primer gray as is my 1/8th scale M1841 That would give me another example to compare with the Parrott as it is now.

I thought I would see how it looks after trying out one of the paint mixes listed in the thread before doing anything to the Parrott's or it's extra set of wheels.

I used your instructions FAQ to find the thread. As these are found, is there any way to easily relink them to the original FAQ.

Cheers

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post

I used your instructions FAQ to find the thread. As these are found, is there any way to easily relink them to the original FAQ.

Cheers

Cheers
Done
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 05:47 PM

Gun Cabinet

Just thought I would post an update to this thread. I printed out the formulas for Home Depot.(post #1) and Lowes (post #12) Neither can be made now due to component changes over the years.

Lowes has discontinued the base paint listed. The color additives were still good, so out of curiosity the clerk went ahead and mixed up a quart with their present base color--telling me that if it did not come out right, I wasn't obligated to buy it. it was way too dark --being more dark gray than olive, so I had to pass.

I then went to Home Depot. The clerk there told me that all of the colorant names or codes were different now. At some point in the last few years they had updated all the paint formulas and codes. He didn't offer to take a shot at it for free, so that was another dead end.

I may try the Sherman Williams formulas next since at least one of those was posted as late as 2012---or conversely call one of the current full size carriage makers to see if they can help me with a color chip.

Cheers

post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I have a Steens color chip out in the cannon files. I could run it into Lowes and Home Depot for you-except. Up in Cut Bank it was in the second drawer from the top. When I moved I put all the files in a box and sold the file cabinet. The boxes are now all stacked in the back of the shop. I wonder which box the cannon files are in?
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:21 PM

Gun Cabinet

double d,

Don't got to that much trouble yet. I have the exact same issue with stuff I can't find from my last move almost 7 years ago. There's no rush, so let me see what I can get out of Sherman Williams first.

Cheers

P.S.

I decided to check some of the big name makers and happened to check Steen first. I subsequently found this on their resources page

Quote:
Paint Information:
Our company uses only two paint companies, Pittsburgh Paint Co.(PPG) or the Porter Paint Co. owned by Pittsburgh. The paint formulas will be the same for both companies but will differ in product.The gallon formula that you will need to take to the paint store is, B-5Y, C-2Y32, G-8, Z-16 also, this formula has to be used in a neutral base or Ultra Deep Base. Depending on if you are painting a wood carriage or a metal carriage will also depend on what product you will need to use. Before painting any surface I recommend using a sanding sponge or sandpaper of medium grit and rub over all surfaces to be painted. If you are painting over new wood or bare metal I suggest using a good primmer. If you are re-coating a surface that already has paint on it then do your light sanding as described above and spot prime any bare surfaces then apply our finish coats. On wood I recommend one coat of primmer, one coat of oil bass enamel and two coats of 100% acrylic exterior paint. On metal carriages the only difference will be in the primmer. I recommend a light sanding (rubbing over the surface and dusting off the dust) between coats until you apply your finish coat. On wood carriage hardware we use only oil base paint. On all aluminum carriages everything gets the same paint as described above. In choosing out door paint remember GLOSS exterior paint is equal to SEMI-GLOSS interior paint when it comes to how shinny it is. We always use a GLOSS exterior 100% acrylic paint for our final coats.
We have three stores in my vicinity that sell PPG paint and one is only about 7 miles down the interstate from me, so that gives me another resource to check.

Last edited by Forward Observer; 12-02-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page