The 223 Short Project. - Page 67 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #661 of 671 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

The round that works with only the rear cartridge stop removed from EndoMag (see George's post above)...Seated to 1.400 in pic. for my bolt action, George seats to 1.390" for the AR. May need L'Il Gun for the AR. I will research and correct this point if needed.

For my bolt... ...budget, budget, budget...40gr Armscor = 8, 5.5gr TiteGroup (2). Cast you own bullets and it is even cheaper.
Attached Images

Last edited by briannmilewis; 01-01-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 671 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 06:25 PM

Correct I load it so the cannalure is flush with the neck of the round to fit in the endomags. 1.4" may work but it could drag and cause feeding issues.

Once I finish the 22 Mamba barrel chop on the test mule to it's final length of 3.7" I intend on loading it with 55gr cast bullets which i'll powder coat and see if I can get the gas system to cycle with something like titegroup to make a fun plinker.

Those will amount to ~$3.5 cents a round
post #663 of 671 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Default Clarification

It was not clear to me, so I am assuming others also didn't get a clear view of the form factor of the EndoMag 10 round configuration that works.

It is in a 30 round mag body from EndoMag. This does not aid bench testing from my bags. I would need a rest that allows for the long mag body.

The goal is to get it into a standard 10 round form factor.

Last edited by briannmilewis; 01-28-2020 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 671 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Default Success forming 22 Mamba Pistol round

From George in AZ...

I finally tried making a die from a barrel blank. Took longer than I had hoped for but worked great none the less. I used the .223 short's chamber reamer to make the die and it works perfect for pushing the shoulder back to convert into 22 Mamba (remember the 22 Mamba crushed cases like an accordion 100% of the time)

While toying around with this I decided try making a pistol cartridge with the short 22 Mamba die. After a few revision's I landed on a .860" case which measures out at 11gr H2o on the nose and allows spitzers to be ran and fits in 9mm mags!

I plan to try and stub one of my glock barrels and chamber it for this little guy. QL is predicting 2300+ ft/sec with a 34gr bullet in a 5.2" barrel (will be run in my glock 34)

Still need to wrap up my PDW AR build before jumping down the rabbit hole again.

Fun times with the nutty wildcatting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22 Mamba Short 3.png
Views:	4
Size:	561.7 KB
ID:	240412  

Name:	22 Mamba Short 1.png
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	240414  

Name:	22 Mamba Short 2.png
Size:	481.1 KB
ID:	240416  

post #665 of 671 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Default Brass forming for 22 Mamba Pistol Round - The George Way

Also forgot to mention. I have the 22 Mamba now down to just 3 steps.

1. Push the shoulder back with die above
2. FL size in 22 Mamba die
3. Run in the lathe with my new jig made. I can part necks off in just seconds and with less than .001" accuracy! Cut's so clean that minimal chamfer/deburring is necessary.

The pistol cases above needed neck reaming as the cases are super thick at that case length. Here's a quick vid of the jig in use!

https://www.facebook.com/22mamba/

Last edited by briannmilewis; 01-28-2020 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #666 of 671 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:39 PM

Default Stubbing a Glock barrel

Well holy crap where do I start.

Worked on the barrel off and on today and bi-golly I think I have a serviceable barrel. (need to dremel in the feed ramp tomorrow still)

So I started by using a chunk of 1:8 stainless barrel I had lying around (preferred 1:9 but hey it's what I had)

I faced it up, dialed it in, chambered it then cut the tenon for the stub.

Got enough tenon there?

Next I dialed in the 9mm barrel and bored it out as deep as I could then drilled the rest, threaded as deep as I could get it and then finished it off with a tap (I know, I know but I got a good 1" plus of threads done before the tap) parted it off and had a good laugh.

Introducing the new 1.5" 50 cal glock barrel!!! has a 28 twist barrel and nukes everything in sight.:50cal:

Next I dialed in the muzzle end then profiled the barrel down to the final OD, put a quick crown on it, then I cleaned both the parts up and married the two with sleeve retainer.

Silly me knocked the edge of the barrel stub with a file out of habbit so I couldn't blend in the two pieces 100% DOH!

Then came the moment of truth......will it fit in the gun and can I rack the slide.....Eureka!

Barrel ended up at 5.2" finished length, round drops in and out like a charm.

I'm going to profile the feed ramp in tomorrow and load up a few rounds starting around 25k psi. I have no plans to worry about getting it cycling yet. I'm more interested in the workup and seeing what kind of velocities are obtainable.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 01-28-2020 at 11:31 PM. Reason: pictures
post #667 of 671 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:44 AM

Talking It's alive! Yet another offspring.....

took the pipsqueek out for it's maiden voyage and was happily surprised.

4.5gr of PP yielded an avg. of 1780 ft/sec

5gr yielded 1940 ft/sec avg

These are mild 25k and 30k psi loads so lot's left in it. no case expansion noticed but still need to bust out the mic to verify.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 01-28-2020 at 11:33 PM.
post #668 of 671 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 07:24 PM

ok i'm so upset with myself!!!! just powered up the chrono and went to log my data and I pressed the wrong button and deleted everything. :faint:

I do remember some of the velocities. 5.2gr were in the mid 2000's, 5.4gr was upper 2200's with one that read 2400 on the nose then things nose bombed.

Here's a quick case measurement rundown. Fresh resized brass measures .373", 4.5gr measured .3745, 5gr measured .3745-.375, 5.2gr .3755, 5.4gr .3755 now all of these plunk in and out of the barrel without issue.

Now is where things changed 5.6gr had erratic velocities from 1700-2100 cases took effort to remove from the chamber and will not drop back into the barrel. case expansion was .377" and weirdly 2/3's of the body of the case has this measurement but the web is still .3755". I shot 1 5.8gr which was 2108 ft/sec and it got stuck in the barrel. I didn't want to damage the extractor so I waited till I got home and used a vice grip to get it out. body diameter was .3775" and web .376" now an intersting thing about this case is if it had a deeper firing pin indent and it looked as it walked to the edge of the primer as if it maybe was trying to tilt the barrel down during the hit?

The primers on all but the 1 mentioned looked the same and they have less primer flow than factory 9mm ammo, likely due to the rifle primer thickness?

All of the loads were starting to cycle the slide with the factory spring.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Looks like I need to go a touch slower on the powder or concentrate on the 5.2-5.4gr load.

After plotting Quickloads prediction against my velocities I seen an interesting correlation. My velocities were posting rougly .4-.6gr faster velocities (ie. the 4.5gr load tracks with the 4.9gr estimation, the 5gr with 5.4gr and it ramps up from there) I'm wondering if the small rifle primer was boosting pressures by ~5k psi compared to QL's prediction.

It makes almost perfect sense when plotted. Here's what 5.4gr +.6gr looks like in QL 6.04gr 2259 ft/sec 385ft/lbs 52337 ft/sec which is right in line with what speeds I was seeing. and the loads after that were likely getting toasty and why things went erratic!
post #669 of 671 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Default The 22 Adder is Here

22 Adder compared to the 22 Mamba parent.

Designed for the semi-auto pistol.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	22Addervs22Mamba.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	665.7 KB
ID:	241118  

Last edited by briannmilewis; 02-09-2020 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Typo
post #670 of 671 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 10:50 PM

Ok so a little update. This weekend was a bust. Went out yesterday and got nothing but ERR from the chronograph (overcast) I did however shoot a 1/2" piece of AR500 plate I have from about 10' and it put a pretty impressive crater in it. about 1/2" diameter and almost 3/8" deep.

Loaded up some more 5.3gr loads and went out again today was still overcast but not as dark so figured i'd try again. Well either I have one of the fastest shooting handguns in the world or my chrono was spitting out garbage. 3300-3850 ft/sec....I'm gonna go with the latter

My cousin has been asking to take a photo of it shooting so I obliged (not sure why the audio isn't coming through?)
https://i.imgur.com/hKWd2Df.mp4
has some flash and as you can see recoil is nil.

So looking at fired cases it definitely appears that they are fire forming some (neck/shoulder junction much sharper) so I resized the case and I will measure case capacity again.

But that brings me to the next bummer. Rather than loading a bullet and MIC'ing necks to determine how much to ream I just winged it and used a .221" reamer as my thinking was it would offer .003" neck tension...which it did...but now the resize .0005" undersized so these 50 cases will be a 1 time use so next batch I know to use a reamer another .004-.006" smaller to ensure I have plenty of neck tension after resizing.

Not a major setback but sucks some.

Also read that moly can be a booger to clean out of the bore and requires conditioning before finalizing load workup. I think i'm going to try and tumble those 30gr bullets to get the moly off them before testing them.

Anywho always an adventure in wildcatting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page