Modern loads for 22 K-Hornet - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2016, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Default Modern loads for 22 K-Hornet

My old go to load for my .22 K-Hornet consists of a 45 grain round nose bullet over 11 grains of 2400. Looking through my new Lyman manual (49th edition) I see a max load of 2400 is now 9.7 grains of 2400. Has the brass thickness changed or is there a different formulation for 2400 now, or what? I can't imagine downloading a K-Hornet to the same powder charge as a standard Hornet. What a I missing?

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Modern loads for 22 K-Hornet

Powder can change, Lawyers, retesting done is different firearm, re testing done in a pressure barrel, tests done at different altitude, testing done at different temptature.

I have some old manuals, one lists my load for the 30-30 and 748 powder.... MY load is FOUR grains more than max listed today... I get zero pressure sign's with this loading.

Start lo and work up. Loading manuals are a guide. NOT bible.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
Old 04-17-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Default Re: Modern loads for 22 K-Hornet

I've shot the load with 11 grains for pushing 20 years without issue, but since I was getting new brass and will likely be getting new powder in the near future I wasn't sure why the newer manuals were loading so light.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in