.22 Mag Centerfire - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Default .22 Mag Centerfire

I've been thinking about the drawbacks of the .22WMR. It's a great little round, except, like other rimfires, doesn't always go bang when you pull the trigger. It would be nice to have a centerfire version. If there isn't one already, then I just created one.

Why?
  • It's January, cold, gloomy and damp outside
  • Because I can
  • why not?
  • Any gun chambered for .22wmr can be made to handle the centerfire version w/ just a tweak to the bolt

The .22 mag case is big enough to hold a small pistol primer. For proof of concept, I took a once-fired case and drilled a primer-sized hole through the center of the head. There is still enough of a lip left to do the second part, which is...

Take an existing centerfire cartridge and cut out the section that has the primer pocket. Turn this down to the point where it fits into the .22 mag case prepared above. Slide this down to the bottom of the case and you're ready to go.

With just a drill and a Dremel, the first results are a bit clumsy. It'd be a lot easier with real tooling.

Next steps will involve a bit more work, like picking a powder to use, re-assembling the cartridge, and actually finding a way to fire it. I'll be looking for an old bolt-action .22 mag to tinker with.

Any suggestions as to powder, and how to assemble the cartridge w/o hurting myself?

Has anyone done something like this before? If not, do I get to name it? If so, it's the .22mmc (.22 Monaco Magnum Centerfire.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170130_084406.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	454.4 KB
ID:	151129  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170130_084425.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	151137  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 01:18 PM

Quite some years back there was just such a cartridge, IIRC it may have been either the brainchild of, or at least profiled and roadtested by Ross Seyfried? 22 Cooper maybe? Check this out:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ullshop-22-CCM
The genesis, as I recall, is just as yours, but I didnt have any problems making a 22 Hornet do 22CB on up to hot Hornet anyway, and nowadays I would go with a 223, maybe a nice, trim CZ? and load any level I wanted.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 01:43 PM

Gun Cabinet

I've had numerous 22 Magnums all sorts of ammo mainly CCI, and Winchester and never had a misfire S&W K-48,Mossberg bolt action, and Winchester 9422 lever action. It just seem like a lot of trouble to go through when you could have a 222, 223, 0r 222 rem mag and so on more killing power greater distance. The cost of having custom cases made would take you to the poor house dies to reload would be an arm and a leg But if you have more money than you know what to do with it Go for it Good Luck

It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:20 PM

Gun Cabinet

You can get about the same results by loading 223 with trail boss and a 40 grn. copper jacket bullet lots of cheap brass, and bullets.
I get my bullets swaged from a member on the forum great to deal with.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:57 PM

just go buy youself a 22 hornet. your spending a dollar on a 25 cent story. regards, richard
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:25 PM

I can't even remember the last time I've had a 22 mag. misfire... I bet it hasn't happen more than a few times since I started shooting one in the 1960's...

IF you are getting many misfires, I'd be checking the gun, for why it's happening.

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:13 AM

Talking

I got tired of spending so much time and money trying to find rim fire ammo. Finally fed up and looking thru my copy of the Speer # 11 Manual I can do a down load to 22LR & 22 Mag Speeds about any 22 center fire cartridge.

I choose the Hornet for my self, but you could do any thing from the old Fire ball up to the newer 22-250 220 swift with good results and not have to monkey around drilling and all that other stuff.
Some day the price of used rim fire rifles will come back and you can dump it and not loose a whole bunch of money.

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:53 AM

Price will come back?, Well, no, not really. The gov. printing and doubling (and more) of the money supply since 2008 reduced the value of every dollar in circulation in half and thus our purchase power. All prices will remain higher and that will equalize with the money supply. This is really how inflation eats us up; Ive watched (and paid) this a couple of times through my life so far (almost 64). Sad to see my life savings for retirement become 1/2 of what it was 8 years ago due to an irresponsible monetary policy by our 'public servants'.
Cut to the chase: get used to the higher prices for everything, in a few years these prices today might even look good.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

gcrank1: Thanks for the info. It's too obvious an idea for someone to not have thought of it before now. The problem seems to be with the brass. It's too small for standard production techniques to be effective. The "insert" method might be the only way, even if it uses up some case capacity. On the plus side, it's an opportunity to experiment.

Regarding the other comments: True, there are other, probably easier and cheaper ways to do this. Why bother? How about for the same reason people spend $20,000+ for a boat to catch a few bass? It's a lot easier and cheaper just to go to the fish market. $20K buys a lot of fresh fish. Or spend the time, effort and money hunting spring gobbler? You can get a tasty, already cleaned turkey breast at the supermarket a lot easier. Short answer, "'Cause I want to."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handiplagued View Post

Regarding the other comments: True, there are other, probably easier and cheaper ways to do this. Short answer, "'Cause I want to."
I get that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page