375 SWC Wildcat for Ohio - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Default 375 SWC Wildcat for Ohio

I have for a long time wanted to make my own wildcat. Over the past year I have been working on a round that fits right in any standard length action with a .473 bolt face. Not flanged and does not head space on the neck. Belted. I put this in a 783 Remington with t.he only modification being the barrel. I have 2 good loads so far. A 270 gr interlock at 2350 and a 250 grain Sierra soft point at 2450. Recoil is about like a stout 45-70. I am just wondering how much interest there might be in a round like this? The picture below the round is beside my 45-70 round.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	375 Carp.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	219482  

Name:	IMG_1205.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	963.1 KB
ID:	219484  

Attached Images

Last edited by JCarp; 08-07-2018 at 11:23 PM. Reason: added pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:59 AM

Gun Cabinet

JCarp, Welcome and sorry you didn't get any other replys to your first post. I like your wildcat for OH deer hunting but not many seem to get excited about getting a round to reach out a little farther than common strait walled cartridges.
In Indiana back when they started letting hunters use rifles 35 cal. and larger but limiting the case length to 1.6" then to 1.8" but allowing bottle necked cartridges there were many wildcats trying to get the most out of there regulations.
What brass are you using for your cartridge ? I am thinking 240 Weatherby, good but expensive and not easy to find.
I have quite a few wildcats but none of them are legal to use for deer in OH where I hunt also.
All of mine are chambered in single shot rifles as that is what I usually hunt with but would like to hear more about your rifle and your wildcat and how you chambered it and how you load it.

This forum use to be much more active but in recent years not many ideas have been discussed or new members such as yourself asking questions.

Also for some reason I can only see one picture you posted, it is of your round by itself. I cannot get the thumbnail pics to come up ?

Thanks, jedman

Still kickin
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Jedman - I have not been on here for a while. Didn't seem to be much interest in even talking about it.
The rifle is built on a Remington 783. I bought a Remington magnum contour barrel. I designed and had a reamer made. Chambered the barrel and it fit like a glove. The taper on the cartridge does not really let me push really high pressures, but it still steps out pretty well.
As far as loading, I use a 220 swift die bored out at the neck to full length size the case and a 376 Styer seat die to seat the bullets. Fire forming brass is a little trickier than normal. I took me a while to find the secret, but I am having 95% success without splitting at this point.
I will try the images again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	375 Carp.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	221042  

Last edited by JCarp; 09-22-2018 at 12:35 AM. Reason: added pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:49 PM

Gun Cabinet

Nice looking rifle ! I like how you have the scope mounted as low as possible and have your wildcats name on the barrel.
I am still having trouble viewing attachments, I can see the pic of the loaded magazine but nothing else ?
Good luck with deer hunting this year in OH, mine will be somewhat limited as I just had heart surgery and should be up to late season and muzzleloader hunting.

jedman

Still kickin
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 06:22 PM

What kind of velocity are you getting with these? Very cool looking. Ive always thought big bore straight cartridges were cool. Nostalgic of old stories from Africa I guess.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page