338-06 Loads? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Default 338-06 Loads?

Anyone load for this round? I have been looking for a load using a 225 grain bullet. Not many loading manuals have data for this round. I have been interpolating data from the 8mm-06 but would like to know if anyone here has experience with this round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:20 AM

www.hodgdonreloading.com lists 15 loads 15 loads for the Speer 225 grain softpoint boattail and 13 for Hornady's 250 grain softpoint. No experience with the 338-06, but have had good results in a wildcat 8mm-06 improved rimmed and H414.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:22 AM

My bad. Didn't mean to emphasize 15 loads. Just bad typing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:36 AM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

Speer's loading manual has good data so does Hornady and Nosler manuals
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I'll look up some of the manuals you mentioned. I have several reloading manuals, but most are over 20 years old and don't have alot of the newer cartridges. I never felt a need to get any newer manuals as I have worked up loads for all my guns and probably won't change them. The 338-06 intrigues me, and I don't know why it is not more popular, but it is probably due the number of new cartridges now on the market that are in the spot light that overshadow it. I think it is a very versatile round that is easy to load, has great ballistics, and doesn't punish the shoulder.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

There's a good amount of data available online.

Tim

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/338-06-a-square/

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con....0-Web-REV.pdf

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrstyk View Post
Thanks all. I'll look up some of the manuals you mentioned. I have several reloading manuals, but most are over 20 years old and don't have alot of the newer cartridges. I never felt a need to get any newer manuals as I have worked up loads for all my guns and probably won't change them. The 338-06 intrigues me, and I don't know why it is not more popular, but it is probably due the number of new cartridges now on the market that are in the spot light that overshadow it. I think it is a very versatile round that is easy to load, has great ballistics, and doesn't punish the shoulder.
I have a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 338-06 A-Square and it's my favorite rifle cartridge.

I've reloading mostly Nosler's 210 grain Partitions, but I've tested a few Hornady 225 grain Interlocks.

My rifle loves IMR-4320 and IMR-4350.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:15 PM

What you need to do is get the name right. Old Elmer Keith and his buddies came out with the .333 OKH (O Neil, Keith and Hopkins) long ago. It was the '06 case necked up for the .333 bullets of the British .333 Jeffery but .338 bullets were far more common for the .33 WCF and so guns were made and loads developed for the .33/'06 -- .333 OKH. Of course some had to have more power so they used a shortened .300 H&H case to make the .334 OKH. Ackley lists if from long ago. I think it would fit into a 98 Mauser. Of course 03 Springfields were very common. Keith said it was just the ticket for knocking down elk. Enjoy yours. Historical gun. Happy Trails.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:58 PM

I've been loading for the .338-06 since the 70's, never found a good 225 grain bullet...

For ME, 200's worked better on deer/blk. bear, and for caribou and moose 250's worked much better. The bullet I prefer for brown bear is the 275 Speer...with 250NP's coming in second...

The 250 NP is a good, one bullet for everything...

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page