Why not get a 30-30AI ? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
AZ

Default Why not get a 30-30AI ?

Hello,

I have always like the T/C Contender/Encore line, and am thinking about getting an Encore.

I would like my first barrel to be the following:

1. Easy to find ammo anywhere.
2. Fairly inexpensive ammo (subjective, I know, but the cheaper the better)
3. Capable of taking Whitetail out to 200 yards or more.
4. Easy on the shoulder.
5. A good round for learning to hand load.

A 30-30 seems like a great starting place. But most places that make 30-30 barrels also make 30-30 Ackley Improved. I have been reading up on these and, since they can fire a factory round with only a small drop in velocity, I can't see any reason not to get a new barrel in an AI version.

Is there anything I am missing that I should be aware of?

Thank you,
AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 09:31 PM

Loading dies are available for a reasonable price and you can load high bc spitzer bullets for you single shot rifle. It's probably half way between a 30-30 and .308 as far as velocity goes. Brass lasts longer as an Ackley Improved doesn't stretch much. Very easy case extraction with the case taper removed by the AI chamber. Still shoots factory ammo just fine as it headspaces on the rim. Plus with an Encore barrel there is a good demand for resale if you should change your mind.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

30-30AI handloads in the Encore can have a considerable velocity advantage over factory 30-30 ammo.

Tim

125gr Sierra Prohunter SP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30-30Ackley 125gr Sierra PH 39gr.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	234736  

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:08 PM

Can thesamebarrel manufacturers also make .308 barrels? Already a proven accurate round, and in great supply.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
Can thesamebarrel manufacturers also make .308 barrels? Already a proven accurate round, and in great supply.

I found, in the last major election scare/hoarding fest, that 22LR, 223, and 308 were hard (impossible) to find. Hunting calibers like 30-30 and 270, however, were always available.

30-30, 270, and 30-06 all seem like great options for all of my criteria. I was thinking of opting for the 30-30 mostly for my joints' sake. I haven't gone to a doctor in a while, but my wrists, elbows, and shoulders all are generally unhappy with me, and there is lots of arthritis in my family. From what I have heard, that doesn't get better with time. It also seems like it would be more fun to put a lot of rounds down range, target shooting or testing loads, with something that bucks a bit less.

I I ever have a chance and desire to go after elk, I could look at getting a 30-06 barrel and try the flex tech stock.

Last edited by AZ; 10-02-2019 at 08:03 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:54 PM

One good thing about both the 30-30 and .308 is you may never need to buy brass. I just pick it up at the range. Many guys don't reload these two cartridges. Not as common as 5.56 brass but there is enough to keep me supplied.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
AZ

Now I am thinking about a 270 or 30-06, I kind of waffle between the idea of a 30-30 and one of these two for more long range capabilities. Especially since reading good reviews of that Flex Tech stock. It does seem like a 30-06 out of a 28" barrel would be quite a fun thing to work up a load for.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:27 AM

I can understand you reason for the 30/30 basic round, plus the rimmed case may be a good option for a single shot rifle..

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
AZ

I don’t have a full understanding of it all yet, but I believe head spacing is important for getting the most accuracy out of the Encores, and I think the rimmed cartridges are a little easier to work with in that regard. I may be misunderstanding something.

If that is the case though, a rimmed cartridge might be a good place to start and then, if I get a good handle on reloading, I could look at adding a 30-06 barrel to the lineup, after i am better equipped to load properly for head spacing with a rimless round.

If the founders gave us the right to bear arms so we can hunt, why didn't they also give us the right to bear water buckets, so we can drink?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:03 PM

How about a 22 RF belted magnum?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page