Graybeard Outdoors banner

Caught some trout

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  bugeye 
#1 ·
Me and my wife went to Amacalola Falls state park today, and my wife was real handy.
My hands tremble so bad that I can't bait a hook, so, my wife would put on surgical gloves, pinch a nightcrawler in half and run a hook one time through the middle and I would cast into the park pool, with no sinker, and I subsequently caught eight trout. six were this years stockers but two were holdovers and were much larger.
I learned today that a spinning reel is more than a trembler can handle.
So, I'm going back to spincast reels which are foolproof when you buy a good one.
My wife would never touch a worm or a fish bare handed and she went through a lot of surgical gloves:tango_face_smile: plus she couldn't watch as I cleaned the fish.
I was gonna filet them, but was shaking so bad that I just beheaded and gutted them and will fry them whole.
Along with my famous hush-puppies and some seasoned fries.

#3 ·
You really should do it again. :)

We are having them tomorrow for supper, they are being brined right now.

#4 ·
There was a couple there who caught eight trout each, and were like me, using worms.
Every else was using some kind of colorful trout dough-bait, and not catching anything.

#6 ·
They were all rainbows.
The DNR raises rainbows, browns, and brooks, but the brooks are stocked way back in the mountains in tiny cold streams, and the browns usually go to more accessible streams that allow the browns to spawn.

And the rainbows were delicious.
We ate half and froze the other half.

#9 ·
She does indeed go above and beyond to take care of this old man.
Yes we are blessed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.