Dedicated Carp fishermen? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Dedicated Carp fishermen?

I am an old fashioned hillbilly. I deer hunt with a recurve bow and I shoot carp with that same bow, and I hunt with a flintlock during the general shotgun deer season...but if they would allow it here I would hunt deer with my grandpa's old Model 94 .30/30 but they only allow shotguns and muzzleloaders here. L want to get a flintlock smoothbore to hunt turkeys with. I like the old stuff. They can keep their whiz bang latest and greatest technology and elitist sportsmen mentalities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

I love reading this stuff. Although I have used hair rigs and bolt rigs they are not expensive and take a little time and patience to tie up, still you don't need a $35,000 P.U. to pull a $25,000 boat and gas to fuel them. Just a bucket to sit on and a piece of water to fish in. I am a firm believer in the KISS principle.
Oh, does anyone have a favorite recipe for cooking carp?
Regards, Piney Creek

custom Handi .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi, custom De Haas Chicapee .22 mag, custom Handi .22lr monoblock, custom Handi .22 Hornet monoblock, custom Handi 38-55 monoblock, custom Handi .375 Win. monoblock, 44 mag. monoblock
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 PM

When I was a boy, growing up in the early 70's, there was an elderly Russian gentleman living by the local lake. He had fled Russia after the 1917 revolution, and was a former "White Russian Officer". He used to love to catch carp, and it was his favorite fish to eat. Us kids always tried for the bass, and catfish at night, but he loved his carp. He would keep the air bladders out of them, blow them up, let them dry. Then he and his wife would paint and decorate them, and use them as Christmas Tree decorations.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

now that is a dedicated recycler. . . .

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 AM

I've never gone outta my way to catch carp, but I've sure caught a lot of em while runnin bank poles or trot lines. They're pretty fun to take on rod and reel, too, but I usually just toss em back in the water. I never took the time to learn how to prepare them properly, so I just stick to my catfish fillets.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 AM

I have such a bad tremor that I may have to stick with conventional rigs. sometime it takes a few tries to get a hook tied securely.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 PM

I work on a tug boat on the Ohio River. I fish for them regular when I see them around.
I do the hair thing but tie mine straight to the bite on the hook. Then us a wire from a bread tie bent like a cotter pin and thread the corn on. The last kernel gets two passes through.
I use ultra lite gear and ten pound Fireline, Fireline helps me get a good hook set considering the flimsy rod.
Best fish so far 20lbr.
While I'm on the boat I watch for them and when they come around give them a little chum corn and then place my bait in the middle. Being able to see them is nice because you can steer the bait toward the bigger fish in the bunch.
After watching them take the bait I noticed when they picked the corn up on the hook it would be spit out. When picked up on the thread the corn would be in the back of their throat and the hook would follow, pretty much hook themselves.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 PM

I used to sportfish for them in California. Never could find a carp recipe that I wanted to try twice. Was with my grandfather when he caught a 35 pounder. The look on his face was pure disappointment. He thought he had finally caught a big striped bass. They do put up a good fight though.
I used to freeze them whole for crab bait when I went to the ocean. Granddad chunked his big one and used it to fertilize his tomatoes. When I lived in Oregon (Columbia River) I harvested my crab bait with a crossbow.

Make sure brain is engaged BEFORE putting mouth in gear.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 PM

I once saw a man catch a 10+ lb carp on a black bass jig while bass fishing, a black thing with lots of rubber band legs sticking out to the sides so they will take artificials. I recall reading many years ago about some fishermen on the great lakes who fished for them with wet flies. They had to be better anglers than me to land a decent size carp on a fly rod without busting something.

Make sure brain is engaged BEFORE putting mouth in gear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page