This is from an "OLD" catfisherman. - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:38 PM

Bugeye, all you need to do is catch one or two bluegills on the worms and you'll have one of the best baits ever for catfish. Cut them bluegills up into 5 or 6 pieces and you'll catch cats, and bigger ones than you would on livers. Plus, it's a lot cleaner than dealing with livers.

Aim small, miss small!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casull View Post
Bugeye, all you need to do is catch one or two bluegills on the worms and you'll have one of the best baits ever for catfish. Cut them bluegills up into 5 or 6 pieces and you'll catch cats, and bigger ones than you would on livers. Plus, it's a lot cleaner than dealing with livers.
I am gonna take your advice, but not this trip.
If I can keep momma's interest up concerning fishing, I'm gonna teach her to cast a spinning reel.
I have two heavy duty spinners and medium heavy rods for them, and if she learns to cast one of those, we'll go for bigger fish.
High falls has some big catfish very close to where we'll be fishing, and the eating size I'm after hang on the outskirts of the deep cover above the dam.
It's a large log jam right against the base of the dam.

My wife loves catfish so I'm really hoping she gets into it.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Well. I guess I'll give a fishing report.
My back was hurting bad enough that I didn't want to face the climb back up to my truck, so instead of high falls, we went back to the water dept lake, where I got one bite on nightcrawlers.
The rod bowed over and stayed, but even with a circle hook, it let go so I'm thinking big turtle.
I'm not going again until my back gets some rest.
So nothing exciting.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Why fish will bite on certain things has always been a mystery to me.

I mean I can understand why a trout would hit a dry fly on the surface that mimics, say a mayfly, and they would hit a wet fly that resembles a nymph, buy why do walleyes for example hit a crawler trolled on a harness way out from the shore of a lake? I've never seen a crawler swimming along when I'm out in my boat, and certainly not swimming at anywhere near the speed we troll them!

And how about colors? Anyone ever see a real minnow that was firetiger, or red and white, or chartreuse??

And then we have tackle companies telling us we need this year's new color, or new shape, or new action lures because the fish have wised up to the lures we used last year and we won't be able to fool them with our old lures! Are we supposed to believe the fish all get together at the end of the year and compare notes on what to bite and what not to bite???
Kill joy! :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page