This is from an "OLD" catfisherman. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Default This is from an "OLD" catfisherman.

I used to do two kinds of fishing, catfishing, and Flyfishing for trout, bream, and bass.
Flyfishing went by the wayside when my thumbs went south, so that left drowning worms for bream, and catfishing.
Now, I'm so decrepit that it's dangerous for me to go fishing by myself.

So, me and my better half are planning on going catfishing in two or three weeks at High Falls lake.
Since momma isn't up on spinning reels, I'm gonna get her a nice casting rod (I have two large spin-casting reels) and we'll use spin-cast for its simplicity.
The bait will be chicken livers which should get us some small channel cats and bullheads.
I rig the liver in surgitube and circle hooks.
To rig it, tie a knot in the end of the tube and snip off about two inches of the tube to make a bag. Turn the bag inside out, stuff in a piece of liver, and work the hook through the open end until it's closed, dip it in the liver blood, cast it out, and sit back to a cold drink, good conversation, and enjoy your day.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:41 PM

Heres an idea from another decrepid old man that works on our channel cats here in Pennsylvania on the Delaware River.

Pick up a small package of chicken breast fillets, cut em into 1 1/2 inch squares and go fishing. Stays on the hook better, and plain catches catfish.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:05 PM

Welcome to the forums Old Man!

Bugeye I saw your heads up in the PBS forum - good thing as I don't always check down here!

There must be 10,000 different ways to catch a catfish - everyone has a favorite. The wife and I used to live near to a good catfish river and fished it a lot. Our favorite method was a leech on a circle hook. Tried several other baits, but always seemed to do best there with a plain old leech. Tried them with and without scent squirted on them and couldn't really tell any difference.

Sure miss those pan fried fillets! Closest place for catfish now is probably 75 miles away. But we "suffer" with walleye, pike, perch, and bluegill. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Heres an idea from another decrepid old man that works on our channel cats here in Pennsylvania on the Delaware River.

Pick up a small package of chicken breast fillets, cut em into 1 1/2 inch squares and go fishing. Stays on the hook better, and plain catches catfish.
Welcome to GBO.
I've seen some videos of soaking chicken breast in jello and catching big cats.
I'm gonna stick with my livers on this first trip, but on a later one, I'll try plain breasts and some strawberry flavored ones.

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Welcome to the forums Old Man!

Bugeye I saw your heads up in the PBS forum - good thing as I don't always check down here!

There must be 10,000 different ways to catch a catfish - everyone has a favorite. The wife and I used to live near to a good catfish river and fished it a lot. Our favorite method was a leech on a circle hook. Tried several other baits, but always seemed to do best there with a plain old leech. Tried them with and without scent squirted on them and couldn't really tell any difference.

Sure miss those pan fried fillets! Closest place for catfish now is probably 75 miles away. But we "suffer" with walleye, pike, perch, and bluegill. :-)
Your cats were used to eating leaches, and the bait they are used to is usually best.

Catfish in Georgia grow up eating chicken liver.
That's why it's my favorite.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:26 AM

Why fish will bite on certain things has always been a mystery to me.

I mean I can understand why a trout would hit a dry fly on the surface that mimics, say a mayfly, and they would hit a wet fly that resembles a nymph, buy why do walleyes for example hit a crawler trolled on a harness way out from the shore of a lake? I've never seen a crawler swimming along when I'm out in my boat, and certainly not swimming at anywhere near the speed we troll them!

And how about colors? Anyone ever see a real minnow that was firetiger, or red and white, or chartreuse??

And then we have tackle companies telling us we need this year's new color, or new shape, or new action lures because the fish have wised up to the lures we used last year and we won't be able to fool them with our old lures! Are we supposed to believe the fish all get together at the end of the year and compare notes on what to bite and what not to bite???
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Interesting thing I heard about the Berkley power bait here in Oregon is the hatcheries were using Berkley fish food. Certain colors work better on certain lakes. I got tired of goo and started using worms and eggs or shiners etc. and started catching larger fish. The rivers and streams are color of lure, usually everyone's catching them on the one I don't have.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:27 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Being an avid small game hunter I always saved the hearts from squirrel, rabbits and pheasants for my Iowa River catfishing! I kept the gizzards out of the pheasants as well! I prefer to fish with the line loose and no sinker if possible. If I have to have a sinker then it has to be a slip sinker. I have also have had good luck when mixing deer blood, BJ's catfish bait and flour into a doe ball. I have caught lots of eating size catfish on night crawlers but these Iowa rivers are full of carp and they get in the way!

Channel cat caught out of a river are one of my favorite. Channel cat from a pond need a couple of weeks of swimming around in a cattle tank before they are fit to eat. Since I have no cattle nor cattle tanks these days the pond catfish get tossed back.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Well today being my birthday (76) my wife sent me a text and said choose what I wanted.
She put a $1,000 cap on it.
She's feeling guilty about her Greece trip without me I think.
But I think a couple of hundred oughta do it.
One ugly stick casting rod (for her) and some new line, hooks, swivels, etc should be plenty.

So here I go shopping at Amazon.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
Well today being my birthday (76) my wife sent me a text and said choose what I wanted.
She put a $1,000 cap on it.
She's feeling guilty about her Greece trip without me I think.
But I think a couple of hundred oughta do it.
One ugly stick casting rod (for her) and some new line, hooks, swivels, etc should be plenty.

So here I go shopping at Amazon.
Happy birthday Bugeye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page