Power bait - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Default Power bait

Anyone tried power bait for trout on catfish? Should work, shoot, people use hotdog's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:57 PM

Yes, it works

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:58 PM

Ok guys. I spent three hours Sunday in 99degree heat for the catfish tournament on the Delaware River using Purdue fillet chunks and chicken liver. I had eight channels to four pounds, does the Powerbait do better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:04 PM

I have always done very well with chicken livers on a treble hook.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic bob View Post
I have always done very well with chicken livers on a treble hook.
I'm a big fan of chicken liver as well, but DANG, do they draw gnats! Those Purdue chunked fillets caught more than half the channels yesterday, and the gnats don't seem to flock to them.

Thought I'd mention it, as well as circle hooks, for no other reason than the older I get, (and BOY!, am I getting old), the less appealing those blasted gnats are........especially when my lovely wife is in the boat!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:03 PM

Chicken liver gets nasty pretty quick. Are the chunks chicken? My favorite bait I get at a local Asian market. The guy there will fillet a Buffalo fish leaving the skin on and cut it into strips 3/4 of an inch wide. I put it in a container and cover with salt and stir thoroughly the day before I go fishing. Stays on the hook and the bigger cats love it, great for jug lines also.

I stand for the Republic and all who oppose me be cursed!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:22 PM

The Purdue fillets are from the local supermarket, vacuum packed, and chicken. I chunk them about one inch square, and hook them once with a 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook. They hold up pretty well, and , believe it or not, I've had a few catties actually swallow the hook as the rod doubled down.

That buffalo strip bait is interesting as well. When I lived near Raritan Bay years back we sacrificed some fluke belly strips for drifting big fluke. Powerbait sand eels in new penny color worked equally well on a jig head, so we switched over to that. Have to see if I can locate some buffalo here in Pa.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:32 AM

Gun Cabinet

Back the the original question: Anyone tried power bait for trout on catfish? My experiences are since Powerbait is a floating bait and catfish are bottom feeders, you would: 1. Need to locate your sinker close to the bait to keep it on the bottom. 2. Need to use a fairly large ball of bait to cover a catfish sized treble hook, and that goes for $4 a jar here. I use it for trout with a size #18 treble hook and a jar is good for a couple three days. Using for cats could get spendy, I'm sure it would work because I heard about someone catching a catfish on a piece of a carrot.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date but I haven't reached my "Use By" date.

When I run out of bullets I will throw rocks, and I will never run out of rocks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:41 AM

I watched a video from "catfish and carp" and the guy cut up a giant gummy worm and caught catfish.
Also, I watched one of their videos yesterday about what catfish ate, and the consensus was, anything they can swallow whole.
So, my guess is, trout powerbait will catch catfish.

And my favorite catfish bait is nightcrawlers and chicken liver, and this fall I'm gonna try some cut bluegill.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylocmik View Post
Back the the original question: Anyone tried power bait for trout on catfish? My experiences are since Powerbait is a floating bait and catfish are bottom feeders, you would: 1. Need to locate your sinker close to the bait to keep it on the bottom. 2. Need to use a fairly large ball of bait to cover a catfish sized treble hook, and that goes for $4 a jar here. I use it for trout with a size #18 treble hook and a jar is good for a couple three days. Using for cats could get spendy, I'm sure it would work because I heard about someone catching a catfish on a piece of a carrot.

Why not use one of the many catfish specific baits on the shelf designed for catfish, Danny Kings in all flavors has worked for me many times? The only Power bait I have used has been the crappie niblets and yes I have caught a few catfish on jigs tipped with them.

I stand for the Republic and all who oppose me be cursed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page