Remington 1858 Broken loading lever screw - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Muleears Send a message via MSN to Muleears Send a message via Yahoo to Muleears
Default Remington 1858 Broken loading lever screw

Good evening gentlemen (and ladies), this is my first post here at Graybeard. My level of expertise does not match what I have seen here but I may be able to offer something now and then. In this first post I bring you a problem for which I need some advice. I have a '58 Remington in 44 cal. (Pietta) in which the loading lever screw has broken off. A portion of the screw remains in the gun. The screw head and a portion of the un-threaded part fell from the gun at the range yesterday. My question is what would be the best way to remove the remaining portion of the screw? I have some E Z outs but nothing that small. Should I drill and re-tap? Any and all suggestions are welcome. I have attached a couple pics to illustrate the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remington_2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	670.5 KB
ID:	189506  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Remington_3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	657.6 KB
ID:	189514  

Muleears
Tidewater Virginia
NRA Life Member
GOA Member
NAGR Member
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and Take Them)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:57 PM

Remove all oils and Crazy Glue a piece of metal on broken end to use as a screwdriver. If it doesn’t work, a little acetone will get you back to where you started
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Muleears Send a message via MSN to Muleears Send a message via Yahoo to Muleears

Thanks castaway, that's a great idea. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Muleears
Tidewater Virginia
NRA Life Member
GOA Member
NAGR Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 04:24 PM

Welcome. If the glue trick won't work use some penetrating oil and wait a few days. Then it looks like the wrong end of the screw may stick through just enough to cut a slot with a dremel? Then back it out with a fine screw driver from the wrong end. A jeweler could cut that slot. Or just get a new easy out. Nothing wrong with more tools!

Best place for Pietta parts--- http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/acces...arts-kits.html Good people and can order the odd ball stuff.

Drill it from the wrong end with a under size bit. Half way through stop and un chuck the bit leaving it in the screw. It should still have some "Bite" on the screw. Now use vice grips as a handle . The power drill MAY just rotate it out? If you get no bite use the glue trick with the drill bit in the screw.

Occupied California.Pray for us.----- Proudly Deplorable. Proudly not Deportable !!!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I haven't had a chance to touch it yet. Work keeps getting in the way! I was thinking if the glue didn't work to attempt to drill it out, I have a dremel and the cutting tools. I like the idea of leaving the drill in and trying to turn it out that way. Thanks Old and grumpy!

Muleears
Tidewater Virginia
NRA Life Member
GOA Member
NAGR Member
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:01 PM

I recently broke the same screw. I can't get the end where the screw head used to be too line up with the hole in the frame, so I can't drill from that side, nor will the partial screw come out that way... Curious to know what you came up with.

"No power, just precision. No speed, just timing."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in