Confused on shot seating depth with charge - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:51 PM

or just load one at a time, couldn't be safer from a chain fire.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 11:23 AM

The important thing here is to have the projectile seated against the powder charge. Take note of where the ramrod stops, and then run it into an empty chamber. If it goes further, you know you've seated the projectile fully.
As for how deep it seats, that will vary by load and projectile. If you want it closer to the rifling, you can double the wad, add powder, or use a filler.

It's been a very long time since I used pyrodex, as I just didn't like it, but, BP likes a little compression.

They say wonder wads will prevent chain fire, but I'd consider greasing the front anyway, or lubing the wads.

I used to use a pair of 1860 44s for cas. I used conicals with lubed grooves over 30gr of 2f. I also chamfered the cylinder mouths, so instead of shaving lead, they would swage into the cylinder. That would work with round ball also. Tighter fit, better seal.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotejoe View Post
I see no problem. 25 grains is a less than full load and Pyrodex compress more easily than black so I'd expect the rammer to pretty much bottom out its travel. Your 25 grain load is plenty for target shooting, you don't need a "man stopper" but if you wish you can fill the chamber with Pyrodex and it will still compress enough to seat the ball below flush. Strangely, I've gotten better accuracy from revolvers with Pyrodex "RS" than with "P" both in cartridges and cap & ball revolvers.

I suspect the reason the FFg works best for accuracy is by way of a slower muzzle velocity. I use FFg in my Walker and Dragoon -- usually just 25 gr. The load I've found to be most accurate in the Colt .44's is 14 gr. of FFFg and 11 grains of FFFg in the .36's with round balls in both. Since I've been shooting the much lighter loads I've also discovered that ware and tare on the guns is also minimal -- and when you shoot upwards of 5,000 rounds a year, that can be important in the long haul.

Sarge

If you really want me to do something, just tell me it can't be done!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page