Non Petroleum Gun Lubes for Black Powder? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Default Non Petroleum Gun Lubes for Black Powder?

I know this is a topic with many, many opinions... but I'll stick my neck out anyway.

Been my reading and experience that petroleum based gun lubes make a really bad fouling some writers refer to as "asphalt" on the gun.

What other lube would one use that would both help avoid that... and still give protection against rusting?

I've heard some say "olive oil" and even Crisco of various consistencies.

What's your experience been?

In this case we're talking a Remi NMA replica (Pietta) and a Traditions Yukon rifle. But I imagine that's not too critical to the discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 05:44 AM

Iíve used Break Free and Lehigh Valley and was pleased with both. For the past few years Iíve used Ballistol. I think Ballistol cleans better than either Break Free or Lehigh Valley with the added benefit of drying any water thatís left after a hot and soapy water scrubbing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:41 PM

Only used two things, bore butter, and ballistol.
Used the bore butter like a light grease, as that is it's consistency.
Used ballistol as an oil, for the same reason.
Beauty is that ballistol is a good cleaner, so you can clean, and simply re-apply. My favorite cleaner is hot soapy water though, only because I find it faster. Ballistol is faster if you wet down good and let it sit a couple days. Or, until you get to it.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:05 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

as far as lubes, as in patch lubes, i used crisco with
my first muzzleloader for a few years with no ill effects.
that said, i do clean mine thoroughly with every use.

last few years i've used the wonder lube in the white
plastic jar and the homemade beeswax/murphy's/castor
with good results

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Gun Cabinet

I use Jawja Toe Fu's #1 in all my BP weapons. I worried about the fact it uses paraffin which contains a petroleum distillate but Gatofeo says it's not a problem and I haven't noticed any gunking up using it.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:04 PM

Relooked the post and realized lube could mean to slick up parts after cleaning or to lube bullets for firing. I’m a firm believer in Gato Feo’s (GF) bullet lube. Prior to using it, my cylinder would bind after 3 cylinders or so regardless of what I lubed my wad with. With GF lubed wads, I can shoot my 1860 Colt (Pietta) as much as I please without binding. No barrel fouling build-up and any fouling is “goopy”. Works in Florida hot summers without migration to powder and even on days with low humidity keeps fouling soft. GF lube is also my preferred lube for black powder cartridges for the same reason. I also use Super Lube Teflon grease on any part that I think needs it. If it spins, oil it, if it slides, grease it

Last edited by castaway; 01-03-2019 at 08:08 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:03 PM

All I've used to clean and lube all of my BP rifles, pistols, and revolvers is a full disassembly and cleaning in Dawn and warm water after every shooting day. And to lube the gun after the cleaning it's straight Virgin Olive Oil. Been doing it that way for years and have never had a problem.

However, if the revolver is to be stored for long periods of time, I've found that the olive oil will dry out and cause the cylinder to seize on the arbor after a year or so. So for those that aren't used often, I use 50 wt. motorcycle engine oil on the arbor to prevent the problem from occurring again.

Sarge

If you really want me to do something, just tell me it can't be done!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:13 PM

I use a home brew of olive oil and beeswax melted together for patch lube. Slightly softer than shoe polish, or sno seal. As it gets colder I use more olive oil in the mix, to keep it workable. For all other metal parts, I use CLP, or One Shot.

"...And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat." Acts 10:13

Last edited by jeffg; 01-07-2019 at 09:19 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:01 AM

For patches I've been using strips of flannel bed sheets saturated with olive oil. Wet the strips in a jar, then ring out the excess oil and hang them up to dry for a couple days and they're good to go.

Sarge

If you really want me to do something, just tell me it can't be done!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:39 PM

Ive used Wonder Lube, and Bore Butter for both patch and conical lube. A small amount of beeswax mixed with either will make
a conical lube mixture as stiff as you want it, then melted it becomes pan lube. My mentor called it "summer lube", I call it convienient.

At the end of a shooting day a splash of DAWN in a bucket of really hot water not only gets black powder fouling out, but keeps the fouling round close enough the deer wont know the difference.

A hair dryer rids the bore of any residule water, while heating the steel up to allow Bore Butter to be swabbed in as the preservative.... not a spec of rust either.

Two dry patches, load and harvest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page