Uberti 36 dimensions - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Uberti 36 dimensions

I did a bore/throat diameter measurements on my '51 & 61 Navy's and '62 Police Uberti's. The throats measured .371.5, .373 and .3735 respectively. The bores (land to land) measured .359, .3605 & .359, again respectively. These measurements were made with pin gauges and I'm fairly confident in their accuracy. I slugged the bores and they measured, groove to groove, as .3765, .377 and .378. I am less sure of those measurements.

Uberti specs say that the bore is .360 and the grove diameter is .379. Has anyone else checked the grove to grove diameter on their uberti's?

What's the consensus on a round ball bumping up from a throat diameter of say .373 to a grove diameter of Uberti's claimed .379? Or my measured .377 +/-

My thoughts here concern reaming the throats out to more closely match the groove diameter.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:22 PM

Iím curious too. Are you shooting black or a substitute? Would be interesting to capture a few bullets and see what happens.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
Iím curious too. Are you shooting black or a substitute? Would be interesting to capture a few bullets and see what happens.
All I shoot is Holy Black. When subs first came out I tried each one as they appeared... Then I realized I was spending all that time, effort and money looking for something that was as good as what I started with! In my experience the only sub that ever came close to BP is Triple 7.

Anyway, I don't know how I'd capture a fired ball that didn't get all smushed up in the stopping.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:27 AM

Sawdust? An old foam pillow?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Something like that might work... Once I settle on a standard load for each revolver I'll try to come up with something.

Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:56 AM

Most shooters use .375 but some use .380 which are harder to ram in but some think it better at sealing off sparks sneaking into the cylinder when another cylinder is fired. My .36 caliber is not Uberti, it is genuine Colt and I use .375.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/forums/handguns.13/

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:17 AM

How does it actually shoot? I have a Uberti "El Patron" in .45 Colt and it is about as good as it gets. The pictured target is from the Uberti "El Patron" model right out of the box at 50' two hand free hold. Three touching and two close by with a six O'Clock hold. Mag-Tec 230 grain.

GuzziJohn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0023.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	234554  

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:24 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by atllaw View Post
Anyway, I don't know how I'd capture a fired ball that didn't get all smushed up in the stopping.
Try a bucket of water. If that doesn't slow it down enough, use a barrel or even a swimming pool. Shooting into the water of course, NOT into the side of the bucket!

~WH~

NMLRA Life Member
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:43 PM

Possibly shooting into a straw bale lengthwise?
GuzziJohn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page