Modern Westerns - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 11:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to mcwoodduck
Default Re: Modern Westerns

From what I understand the cowboys of the cattle drives, dispite the movies were usually young men, many having fought in the civil war and went west. Many of the "cowboys of this era were Blacks. The cattle drive cowboys were closer to the John Wayne move the Cowboys or Open Range. In the 1870 -1880's you did not have a life span like you do today and a 70 year old like Devaul or late 50's like Cosner would not have been on the ride.
Also most of the cowboys were built along the lines of the Calvary troopers of the Civil war where 140 pound was max weight. Due to the equipment and the Trooper they did not want to wear out the horse. Most cowboys did not own their horse, maybe owned their saddle, but the owner of the ranch would not want to over tax one of the ranch horses. The larger guys were hired but sent off for other jobs on the ranch.
But the truth does not make for good charicters and movie plots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 02:21 PM

My other favorite lines of Burl Ives in that movie occurred when he crashed into the formal party of the rich rancher to give him a final warning.

"Now I didn't say anythin when fourteen of your brave boys beat four of mine near to death. Mebbe they deserved it. Anyways, they is grown men and can take their own lickins."
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:47 PM

I sometimes pick up a magazine about the old west. It has articles about western history and people from then. It also has Hollywood characters or show stories. The last one had some cowboy sayings. One made me laugh , " like putting socks on a rooster" now that was funny.

If ya can see it ya can hit it !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 08:15 AM

Mannyrock
Here is the scene you are referring to. Its one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMiD6PU8SKI

"I'm not someone to be as good as. I'm someone to be better than."
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 08:38 PM

I'm built more like Andy Devine or Hoss Cartwright. Need a big horse and a then a nearby stump just to get into the saddle. Open Range had a big kid that got killed about middle way into the movie. His screen name is on the tip of my tongue.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 02:14 AM

Many of the early day Outlaws were not working "Drovers". They were often just like todays criminals worthless poorly educated lacking any job skills. They were not working ranch hands. I expect they were poor horseman and terrible shots with cheap stolen pistols. They were mostly young and committing small crimes. Many of the well known Western figures were not Cowboys. Bill Hickock, Bill Cody, Jesse James and others were not Drovers.
Most of the big ranches before the closure of Open Range after the Winter of 1885 did not allow the wearing of side arms. Side arms were only carried where there were Range Wars. Rifles were stored in the chuck wagons not carried on working saddles. But then most Western Yarns were written by men who had never been West of Chicago.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock View Post
A really good western, which is not that well known, is The Big Country, with Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston and Burl Ives. Beautifully filmed, really long, and a little unusual.

Mannyrock
Totally agree on The Big Country. Outstanding acting, great photography, and Ives was a priceless supporting actor.

By the way of trivia, did you recognize the actor that played Ramon? Clue; "Badges? We don't need no steenkin badges!"

Don't over do it, just enough will do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page